[W.I.P] Comparison of nightly cockpits: before and after recent update

wernst

There is some discussion here about the A-10C cockpit visualization at night.

Some people say „I’m fine as it is“ others have issues.

I did a comparison between 2 nightly A-10C cockpits: old version vs. new one.

(scenery was CAU, Batumi RWY at 23h / 11 p.m.)

Left image is a screenshot taken from an old stable version (2.5.3.24984) and the right image was taken from the recent open beta (2.5.5.41372)

The following settings were equally applied to both shots:

cockpit flood light: to max

gamma: max = 3.5

brightness: 50% on my EIZO monitor (FS2333)

I hope this comparison helps to understand the issues some users have.

A professionell monitor will probably have more possibilities to adjust the brightness levels, but I'm not sure it's hardware only.

One (simple) reason for the darker cockpit might be the fact, that the flood light setting in the new cockpit seems to have almost no effect.

That is a huge lighting difference.

The A-10C warthog was parked in the hangar for a long time so difficult for me to compare from memory of previous cockpit.

On my monitor, the cockpit is indeed dark but in vr, not as dark.

Let's hope when the weathering works begins as planned, cockpit lighting would be improved.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

• ED Team

Hi

we have some lighting tweaks coming in future updates.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi

we have some lighting tweaks coming in future updates.

thanks

. Thanks. Once again beside few glitches like the one here, excellent work on the new cockpit.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

• ED Team

Hi

I was incorrect, the flood light is now correct in the new model as there is no flood light shinning directly onto the instrument panel.

thanks

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi

I was incorrect, the flood light is now correct in the new model as there is no flood light shinning directly onto the instrument panel.

thanks

Hmm, no flood light shining onto the panel? Then it might be the reason of the dark cockpit.

But then, what's the point of having a flood light? Where should it shine? What is it for?

Without floodlight I still can read the instruments but I can't see the switches, knobs and pushbuttons of the front panel anymore.

Edited by wernst

• ED Team
Hmm, no flood light shining onto the panel? Then it might be the reason of the dark cockpit.

But then, what's the point of having a flood light? Where should it shine? What is it for?

What should the flood light illuminate?

The flood light should illuminate the left and right consoles.

Hi

thanks

Wait does that mean we're not fixing the overall brightness of the backlights?

It's fine if the floods aren't flooding the entire cockpit but the instrument and button backlighting is hilariously insufficient. Like you may as well not even turn it on insufficient.

• ED Team
What about the knobs, switches and pushbuttons of the front panel? Are they left in the dark?

Have a look at this image I don't have a problem with the lighting.

Can you do a screenshot of yours

thanks

Screen_191228_093759.thumb.jpg.661e5a9f74ce4128f6e64bc78ac04521.jpg

• ED Team
??

I have started this (my) thread here with screenshots, just 10 steps back, or here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=259348

Sorry, I will check again.

can you attach a track replay of your cockpit and the lighting.

The image I attached is what you should be seeing, and I am sure you will agree there is no issue with that.

EDIT: We do see a difference between our internal build and open beta so there are changes coming in the future.

Thanks

Edited by BIGNEWY

There is some discussion here about the A-10C cockpit visualization at night.

Some people say „I’m fine as it is“ others have issues.

I did a comparison between 2 nightly A-10C cockpits: old version vs. new one.

(scenery was CAU, Batumi RWY at 23h / 11 p.m.)

Left image is a screenshot taken from an old stable version (2.5.3.24984) and the right image was taken from the recent open beta (2.5.5.41372)

The following settings were equally applied to both shots:

cockpit flood light: to max

gamma: max = 3.5

brightness: 50% on my EIZO monitor (FS2333)

I hope this comparison helps to understand the issues some users have.

A professionell monitor will probably have more possibilities to adjust the brightness levels, but I'm not sure it's hardware only.

One (simple) reason for the darker cockpit might be the fact, that the flood light setting in the new cockpit seems to have almost no effect.

This is strange. Just as if your cockpit lighting is not working at all.

My cockpit lighting looks exactly like the screenshot Bignewy posted. Looks really nice actually.

Just tested at 0:00 hour above Batumi with overcast weather and flying just below cloud deck (OB version and in VR).

Did you try the usual suspect: deactivate mods, cleanup/repair?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

This is strange. Just as if your cockpit lighting is not working at all.

My cockpit lighting looks exactly like the screenshot Bignewy posted. Looks really nice actually.

Just tested at 0:00 hour above Batumi with overcast weather and flying just below cloud deck (OB version and in VR).

Did you try the usual suspect: deactivate mods, cleanup/repair?

no mods.

I'm using a monitor only.

Meanwhile BIGNEW posted that the floodlight of new cockpit doesn't hit the front panel anymore but the side panels only.

I can confirm, the floodlight knob controls the brightness of the side panels only.

With the old cockpit the floodlight illuminates the front AND side panels, as bright as needed.

My question is: Why has the front panel with knobs, switches and pushbuttons been left in the dark?

• ED Team

We will see a change in a future update, we have some render changes coming.

This is what will be coming to public builds.

attachment.php?attachmentid=223904&d=1577551159

Edited by BIGNEWY

We will see a change in a future update, we have some render changes coming.

Good to hear that there is WIP for the nightly lighting issue with the new cockpit.

But there is still one question left to me: Why doesn't the flood light hit the front panel anymore?

Is there any reason to cut the flood light beam which illuminates the front panel?

The A-10C has two flood lights located on either side of the cockpit.

They both are directed to the front panel mainly and provide some light to the side panels.

Here is what the DCS A-10C user manual says:

10. Floodlight Dial. Labeled FLOOD, this dial controls thebrightness of the two flood lights located on either side of the cockpit.

The dial can be set from OFF (no lighting) to BRT (full brightness). The dial canbe moved past BRT to the TSTORM setting which will shade all flood lights.

The images below show that the flood light is functional in the old cockpit but not in the new cockpit anymore. Why?

With the flood light control I can easily adjust the level of brightness of this panel and the side panels, suitable to the level of brightness I need - with my monitor.

It would solve the problem that different types of user monitors provide different level of acceptable brightness.

Leaving the flood light as it was before would be fine to me. It could solve the issues some people (and myself) have with the new cockpit.

Better isn't always best.

• ED Team

As already mentioned, the flood lighting on the old model was incorrect.

The new cockpit has the correct lighting, and you will be seeing the finished work in a future update.

We have some render changes coming that will result in the A-10C light example pictured already.

The new cockpit has the correct lighting, and you will be seeing the finished work in a future update.

We have some render changes coming that will result in the A-10C light example pictured already.

o.k.

Only one last question:

How can I roll back my actual A-10C module to the version with the "incorrect" flood light?

Just the module only, not world?

Edited by wernst

o.k.

Only one last question:

How can I roll back my actual A-10C module to the version with the "incorrect" flood light?

Just the module only, not world?

its not possible to roll back individual modules.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Great to hear (and see), looking forward to the update making it to us - for additional beta testing. Very much needed and anticipated!

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

• 2 weeks later...

Does this new “correct” model account for the fact that, even though there is no flood light pointed at the instrument panel, instrument panel will still be illuminated by the flood lights?

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

I post a topic on hoe to use old style cockpit:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=260085

Saw that. Good job on your part. That being said, I will simply wait for the version that the developers/moderators are using, to become public. For now - I am simply using the NVGs for night ops, and using the NVG toggle switch on the left console panel to accommodate the MFD displays.

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria