Poor VR Performance

Bones308th

Guys, just did a quick night AAR mission with the Viper out of Batumi, and the frame rates were terrible. That’s with today’s update, and the latest NVidia drivers released yesterday. I’m using Windows 10, i9-9900K, NVidia 2080Ti, and the Reverb. Has anybody noticed any drop in VR performance? I also know there was a new update to Steam VR, so I have to check the VR settings and see if there were any changes in settings. I’ll try a day mission tomorrow as well, and report back here. Just wondering if anyone here has noticed any drop in performance. Thanks.

Ray

Guys, just did a quick night AAR mission with the Viper out of Batumi, and the frame rates were terrible. That’s with today’s update, and the latest NVidia drivers released yesterday. I’m using Windows 10, i9-9900K, NVidia 2080Ti, and the Reverb. Has anybody noticed any drop in VR performance? I also know there was a new update to Steam VR, so I have to check the VR settings and see if there were any changes in settings. I’ll try a day mission tomorrow as well, and report back here. Just wondering if anyone here has noticed any drop in performance. Thanks.

Ray

Make sure you’ve deleted your FXO and Metashaders2 folders...

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

I’ll try that Mike. Thanks. I’ve plugged BOTH the Reverb and the Rift S, and is pretty much the same. Getting stutters. The frame rates will be steady at 40 or 45, depending on the headset, then they suddenly drop to the lower thirties or so for like a couple of seconds, and then spike back to the steady 40 or 45s. I don’t know what’s going on! Gives me a light headache! Hate that! Lol

I’ll try that Mike. Thanks. I’ve plugged BOTH the Reverb and the Rift S, and is pretty much the same. Getting stutters. The frame rates will be steady at 40 or 45, depending on the headset, then they suddenly drop to the lower thirties or so for like a couple of seconds, and then spike back to the steady 40 or 45s. I don’t know what’s going on! Gives me a light headache! Hate that! Lol

Yeah definitely sounds like the folders issue. Happens to pretty much everyone on here if they don’t delete after an update. I always delete them pretty much every time I start DCS up. OCD probably!

They’re located on the C:/....under users, saved games, DCS Open Beta.

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

I had exactly this issue on a contant bases while playing on my laptop.

I have since setup my gaming desktop which typically have the same parts except for the cpu that is higher and haven't had this issue playing on the desktop.

It is such a tricky one. I am just careful not to install mod or other software to upset things as it is now.

You could your log file and see error log at those times the seizure occurs. My would throw error in the log.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Guys, thanks for the input. It did help deleting those files. However, I don’t remember having so many stutters, and frames hanging out in the upper thirties so much. Again, it was better, but something’s going on with my system, and DCS World. Maybe it has something to do with the latest NVidia driver update, or the new Steam VR release update. Gotta keep an eye on it. Thanks again and if in the US, Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours guys.

Ray

That happened at some update long time ago for me when it was a CPU that was throttling and GPU that voltage peaked.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Try other planes, if the issue is the same, you have probably some tuning to do but... my opinion is that the F-16 is not VR ready. I have clearly a noticeable drop in FPS with this plane and only this one (Ok MiG-21 also but less).

I have most of all the planes and it is clear that if I would fly seriously the 16, I will have to drop some settings to recover the FPS somewhere. All that to say that don't use the F-16 to tune your settings and check after being happy with them, how the F16 feel... and adjust ;)

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2

Try other planes, if the issue is the same, you have probably some tuning to do but... my opinion is that the F-16 is not VR ready. I have clearly a noticeable drop in FPS with this plane and only this one (Ok MiG-21 also but less).

I have most of all the planes and it is clear that if I would fly seriously the 16, I will have to drop some settings to recover the FPS somewhere. All that to say that don't use the F-16 to tune your settings and check after being happy with them, how the F16 feel... and adjust ;)

Yeah, it may be Viper related. I’ll do more testing when I get back home.

Interesting you should say this. Whilst I’m happy with the F-16, it runs well, I feel when flying the Hornet it seems better. Can’t put my finger on it but it feels ‘better’ in the Hornet.

Not taking anything away from the Viper though.

TIP from senior for FPS issues

I updated the new OB update yesterday. I've got half the FPS then normal. And..... everything is back where it was. biggrin.gif

First time to load is new compiling so long load times. After that everthing is normal.

Delete User Shaders:

X:\Users\[You]\Saved Games\[DCS User Directory]\fxo\ - DELETE ALL FILES

X:\Users\[You]\Saved Games\[DCS User Directory]\metashaders2\ - DELETE ALL FILES

Delete Terrain Shaders:

X:\...(usually under Program Files)\[DCS Install Directory]\Mods\terrains\[Terrain]\misc\metacache\ - If it's there, DELETE THE "\DCS" folder entirely

Repeat for all terrains you own

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

• 2 months later...

Nobody did this?

I posted it a while ago. :D

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4127940&postcount=11

After that start DCS and it recompiles all shaders.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Nobody did this?

Yes we (or at least I) did that, but it doesn't help... at all...

Don't get me wrong, thank you for trying to help and I wish it would help, but it doesn't increase my DCS performance, not even the slightest improvement.

"F-16 instant action cold and dark PG" while standing there with the engine off and just looking around gives me 26fps max. Where it did 45-90fps on 2.5.5

(not moaning here, just sharing my OB 2.5.6 experience for improvement purpose)

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Lots of us have lost fps with 2.5.6. Recompiling shaders helps of course, but it doesn't restore our prior performance. It was about 15fps higher in 2.5.5 for me. We can only hope that ED gets those frames back for us in future patches.

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.

I have noticed a drop in performance but installing the stable version (as well) that seems just as bad. Wondering if all these recent SteamVR & WMR beta updates maybe an issue? Can't think of anything else that has changed. Will try with non betas later.

Edit: Schoolboy error! WMR for SteamVR beta updated on the 6th, overwriting the default.vrsettings file and disabling reprojection again! Be warned the stable versions does this too whenever Microsoft update it.

Edited by Baldrick33

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Nobody did this?

Hey, I never cleared the terrain shaders files. Made a lot of difference, I am back to 90% of the FPS I had with 2.5.5 and can again use VR. Thanks for the advice!

i9 11900KF, RTX 3090 24GB G DDR6X, 1TB SSD, 64GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz, Reverb G2.

Hey, I never cleared the terrain shaders files. Made a lot of difference, I am back to 90% of the FPS I had with 2.5.5 and can again use VR. Thanks for the advice!

how? i deleted them too but with no improvement in performance at all.

VR:

2.5.6 OB ---> 15-30 fps

2.5.5 Stable ---> buttersmooth 45 fps (ASW on)

2D:

2.5.6 OB ---> fps mostly in mid 40's, sometimes drop down into the low 20s

2.5.5 Stable ---> buttersmooth locked 60 fps (vsync on)

my system:

7700K@5GHz

32GB RAM

2080ti

1TB SSD (exclusively for DCS)

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

PC: i7 13700k, 64GB RAM 3200MHz DDR4, RTX 4090, VR: Quest 3.

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, crosswinds rudder pedals, VPC panel CP3, WinWing PTO2

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

how? i deleted them too but with no improvement in performance at all.)

I did more extensive testing last night and I stand by the improvement after deleting all the shaders files for Caucasus. Still not at 2.5.5 level, but playable, which it was not before. But then I tried Persian Gulf and it was horrible, stuttering, low FPS, and totally unplayable. I have no idea what is going on. It is frustrating.

i9 11900KF, RTX 3090 24GB G DDR6X, 1TB SSD, 64GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz, Reverb G2.

On my side it's not the shaders, it's AI units. They pull to much CPU frametime. In an empty map, FPS are normal. The VR shader mod didn't change anything at all. Maybe it works for lower end systems, or is just a placebo and lowering game settings does the real job in those cases.

Edited by Alec Delorean

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

I did more extensive testing last night and I stand by the improvement after deleting all the shaders files for Caucasus. Still not at 2.5.5 level, but playable, which it was not before. But then I tried Persian Gulf and it was horrible, stuttering, low FPS, and totally unplayable. I have no idea what is going on. It is frustrating.

No any hotfix today..........frustranting again.