Polychop Simulations OH-58D Kiowa

Hey Polychop, will we be able to change the pencil marker picture in the DCS settings (like a cross, dot, chevron etc))

Hi Peeter,

I'll look in to that. The cross is what has been used by the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior pilots that are involved with the production of the module. I'm not directly involved in the development of this module but I will ask the Kiowa Warrior team if any other sight pictures were common and whether there are plans to include the feature you requested. Right now though you can create custom liveries in which you will be able to edit the windscreen texture that contains the marker picture.

Community Manager Account

DrummerNL

[TABLE]

[/TABLE]

Discord - Facebook - Gazelle sitreps

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Peeter,

I'll look in to that. The cross is what has been used by the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior pilots that are involved with the production of the module. I'm not directly involved in the development of this module but I will ask the Kiowa Warrior team if any other sight pictures were common and whether there are plans to include the feature you requested. Right now though you can create custom liveries in which you will be able to edit the windscreen texture that contains the marker picture.

Thanks, that will come in handy, because some will want the marker reticule to be smaller and finer, while others will want them bold and prominent... such as VR users maybe!! And of course some may want a differently shaped aiming marker...

It would be quite difficult to implement M4 use in a good way.

From 3D modeling point of view it is easy. You keep the rifle on your lap, pointing outside of the door when you look at forward or right. When you start to look to left, out of the door then you raise rifle to ready position so that your gun grip is about the axis the rifle gets rotated. Then the pilot body will lean slightly outside of the cockpit and away from chair further you want to aim left and down. The rifle and body will be few moving axis points that offers a fixed zones where you can fire the weapon.

And then you do same on opposite side but mirror it as much as possible, if it would be required (is it?).

No need to make hand supporting on the door frame etc, sure it would be nice to click "raise up" and correct position is taken and then rotate weapon around that support hand....

But I don't know how much does DCS engine support a moving weapon muzzle axis with dynamic movement. As it is not a mechanic gun attachment like Kor 12.7mm or 30mm 2A42 in KA-50.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Now the REAL thing that I want to see included would be tossing smoke grenades out the door to mark targets.

Now what I want to be done 5 years ago already.... Was a smoke hand grenade that does not generate 250m tall twister with color.

Instead it should be small area, faintly starting to come out, and if there is wind, it will then start creating long smoke trail along the wind direction.

You wouldn't spot it from tens of kilometers or from high altitude etc. But if you are looking at the general close area, you will spot the smoke.

And it should be ED made smoke, not any 3rd party.

As this should be possible be thrown by infantry to signal their own location and direction to enemy by using example green to own troops rear and red toward enemy, so that green and red will line a direction towards enemy. This way you can visually tell direction and only explain distance and more accurate position where to strike, what is your safe zone and rear.

You can work as well that what is your left and what is right off the positions. Just be clear that what you mean for the pilot.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I had thought the Kiowa FM would be the like the Huey, generally speaking, but after seeing a livestream it seems very responsive, fast, and stable more like KA50. Is that what we can expect it to fly like or is FM still WIP?

If you mean the livestream from the end of January, that was just a placeholder FM. The intent of that stream was to show weapons targeting.

I had thought the Kiowa FM would be the like the Huey, generally speaking, but after seeing a livestream it seems very responsive, fast, and stable more like KA50. Is that what we can expect it to fly like or is FM still WIP?

The two should be nothing alike. The Huey has an underslung rotor and has a max gross weight 4000 lbs higher. The Oh-58d should be much more responsive and nimble than the Huey.

The two should be nothing alike. The Huey has an underslung rotor and has a max gross weight 4000 lbs higher. The Oh-58d should be much more responsive and nimble than the Huey.
Also, the streamer mentioned at the beginning that a lot of the flight model code was disabled for the stream so it isn't an accurate representation.

The SCAS dampens response from outside factors like wind, but the Kiowa is a very nimble aircraft and very light...stable is not a word I would use to describe it.

The SCAS is a three-axis (pitch, roll and yaw) flight

control augmentation system with a heading hold mode

(HHM). This limited authority, rate reference system

improves handling qualities by damping the high frequency,

short term external inputs to the helicopter

while providing the desired response characteristics

for pilot inputs. The heading hold mode operates in

conjunction with the yaw SCAS system as an aid to

maintaining a desired heading.

SCAS had up to 10% control authority over each axis of flight control. In essence it smoothed-out external variables such as wind burbles, turbulence, etc. by comparing the pilot-induced control inputs against what the flight control gyros were sensing. If the rate-gyros sensed movement that didn't correlate with pilot control inputs, the SCAS would provide small corrective inputs to counteract, up to 10% of the full control authority.

If you didn't mess with the cyclic and pedals constantly, it made for a very nice, smooth and stable platform.

The SCAS provides a "heading hold" but does not have an "auto-hover" capability IRL.

This should not be confused with a "stable" platform in the sense that it resists change in direction. The semi-rigid ("soft-in-plane" in Bell-speak) fully-articulated rotor system is very responsive, and the fully-hydraulic augmented flight control system is sensitive and requires only the very lightest control touch.

However, while smooth and stable, it is very agile, and responds instantly to control inputs.

This is in contrast to the underslung-type rotor systems, which 'in comparison' are more slow to react to control inputs.

Edited by barundus

Kiowa had Stability and Control Augmentation System (SCAS) so it should generally be more stable than Huey.

In regards to the video posted previously;

Lest you think these two chuckleheads were completely terrible at their job; they were trying to stop (without killing) the guys on the motorcycle, so that a ground response team could apprehend them. Often the value of intelligence gathered from detainees would prove valuable, or; the ROE (Rules of Engagement) prevented the KW crew from outright shooting the fleeing shitheads. If the KW crew did not directly witness the motorcycle guys committing a hostile act such as planting an IED, the ROE prevented them from taking more direct action. In effect they'd try to scare them into stopping until a ground response team could roll up and detain them for questioning.

Had they wanted to smoke those guys, it wouldn't have been hard...

Edited by barundus

• 1 month later...

Yes as Jester says above, all cyclic control inputs on the Huey actually go all the way top the top of the mast and tilt the rotating stabiliser bar which has weights on the ends and is very rigid in-plane due to high centripetal force, then the subsequent resultant movement of the stabiliser bar due to cyclic input is fed back down to the blade grips - also the stab bar movement is further damped by two damper units attached to the mast just below it, so TLDR the Huey is quite stable.

Small lighter helis are a lot more twitchy and just need the lightest touch on the cyclic.

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
Yes as Jester says above, all cyclic control inputs on the Huey actually go all the way top the top of the mast and tilt the rotating stabiliser bar which has weights on the ends and is very rigid in-plane due to high centripetal force, then the subsequent resultant movement of the stabiliser bar due to cyclic input is fed back down to the blade grips - also the stab bar movement is further damped by two damper units attached to the mast just below it, so TLDR the Huey is quite stable.

Small lighter helis are a lot more twitchy and just need the lightest touch on the cyclic.

Thank you! Helicopter engineering is not the first or easiest field that one learns about! So your thoughts/summary is appreciated :)

• 2 weeks later...

Polychop Simulation video has been blocked on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY-hBkM8se0

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,