A new tweak for Reverb to keep it smooth

GunSlingerAUS

Hey mate, Toykilla is lucky enough to not perceive the ghosting or stutters that many, including you and I, see with reprojection turned on. But to drive 90fps in VR, even with all settings at low, you need an even better machine than mine. And that's even if you're flying a very basic machine over terrain with no buildings or trees. We can only hope ED works on VR performance.
I see Ghosting and Stuttering without Motionreprojection and flickering with 60Hz.

But yes,a better Engine could make DCS even better in VR.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick:

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after playing with this for a day overall, i feel that my best experience is with 90Hz and with motionvector enabled for 45FPS as for me they both provide some artefacts the 45 FPS does provide the smoother experience the ghosting I get I can live with but for me on my spec of hw there just isn’t enough power to drive 60fps consistently well... so I get more stutters than I do at 45FPS.

I suspect it is both hardware and individual sensitive as to the experience... my suggestion is to try and see what works for you.

So yep I hope the improve the vr engine as well

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I see Ghosting and Stuttering without Motionreprojection and flickering with 60Hz.

But yes,a better Engine could make DCS even better in VR.

Hi Toy,

I know you mentioned you use SS @ 200%. What is your resolution per eye? Mine says 3118 x 3053.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

so I find this discussion fascinating.

At 90Hz native performance is 90 FPS as a maximum, but , most users havent got the hardware to drive DCS in VR at 90 FPS, which means that if you are not very lucky, you are likely running with motionvector switched on set to auto which functionally gives you 45 FPS, with some visual artefacts

At 60Hznative performance is 60FPS as a maximum, and you still can switch on motionvector which would give you 30FPS, but, actually you can drive 60FPS with, high end but still affordable, hardware. I still think you get some visual artefacts in DCSand I think the WMR Cliff House is a horrible shimmering mess, but I dont spend much time in the cliff house... and I get a little bit of tearing in the Steam Home

So why can you drive 60 FPS without motionvector… the answer is in latency, you have at 90FPS something like 11.1ms of latency between frames to stay inside your 90FPS:

and at 60 FPS you get 16.7ms:

This doesnt seem like a big difference but in terms of performance you would have to increase your graphics and CPU performance by something 50% to see the same performance a 90hz... thats like me clocking my current CPU at 6.9Ghz... or spending a large wedge of cash on a water cooled bemouth , with attendant GPU, MB and RAM upgrades.

Now, I'm not saying that 60Hz is a magic bullet, it still does have issues, but you do get more FPS and smoother FPS than you do at 90hz with motionvector (e.g. 45FPS), and I personally am on the fence about which is the better... but you should give it a play and see which ones you like better :)

Nice idea with 60Hz without motionReprojectionMode on/auto. I checked, looks nice but the bug in WMR (Windows bug) is present still so its unplaybe (in DCS on trees, uneven rendering). I hope it will be solved by Microsoft or HP.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

... looks nice but the bug in WMR (Windows bug) is present still so its unplaybe (in DCS on trees, uneven rendering)...

Yes. That's exactly what I get when trying 60Hz. I just could not figure out how to word it.:)

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

Folks, I'd like to hear a few opinions. I've spent quite some time today playing around with settings. I don't see much of a difference, though. It's not that I'm unhappy with the experience, but maybe there are a few more fps to be found...

What I usually get (with motionrepro set to motionvector and 90Hz) is a more or less solid 45fps, can drop a bit lower and sometime drops to mid 30's. Screenshot of my settings see below, SteamVR is set to 110% (that is SteamVR beta, i.e. the resolution @110% is a little bit higher than the Reverb native resolution).

My hardware is quite decent, the 2080ti is overclocked. However, looking at fpsVR the frame times of the GPU are higher than the CPU times, I take this as "GPU can't cope".

Running at 60Hz seems to be pointless, this results in 30fps, something I can't stand.

MSAA and AF I want to keep, I don't like the looks without them. Same for shadows.

Any hints based on my setup?

settings.thumb.JPG.f8071cc55649a66b7abcbf3a4041ad5b.JPG

Ryzen 3700X, 2080ti, 32GB, HP Reverb, Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog, Crosswind, SFX-100 motion rig :thumbup:

Clutter/Bushes off, Heat blur off, Trees visiblity maybe down, terrain textures on low if you're too close to the VRAM limit of your card (didn't see much of a visual difference tbh), Resolution of Cockpit displays down. Especially the first three are real FPS killers.

Until the new engine arrives. 120% SteamVR SS, no DCS AA or PD. Motionvector reprojection. 3800X, 32GB, 5700XT, HP Reverb here.

Folks, I'd like to hear a few opinions. I've spent quite some time today playing around with settings. I don't see much of a difference, though. It's not that I'm unhappy with the experience, but maybe there are a few more fps to be found...

What I usually get (with motionrepro set to motionvector and 90Hz) is a more or less solid 45fps, can drop a bit lower and sometime drops to mid 30's. Screenshot of my settings see below, SteamVR is set to 110% (that is SteamVR beta, i.e. the resolution @110% is a little bit higher than the Reverb native resolution).

My hardware is quite decent, the 2080ti is overclocked. However, looking at fpsVR the frame times of the GPU are higher than the CPU times, I take this as "GPU can't cope".

Running at 60Hz seems to be pointless, this results in 30fps, something I can't stand.

MSAA and AF I want to keep, I don't like the looks without them. Same for shadows.

Hi, how much is your cpu (3700x) frametime? could you give me a range? Thank you

try these for a start:

y4mbgjvtD8C34zjTTwadX-kSUJyJYrVkig_G8gLjpY2uOpettFZ1rp1IGB0MLAa8Ru-6L7BB8_idbG_gs-iDZcanPytN4nXoBRlfUUfuN0XteUH_X2VhKGdIE2NgfLVhZE1ouvxq32RMoKtD5Dgknq2FAHSXQLUGh0mw5I1eFub4L8w5wk-JN2Q_eYUK8oqVxFe

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

Hi, how much is your cpu (3700x) frametime? could you give me a range? Thank you

it obviously depends on the situation, but the majority of time it is between 15-17ms.

Ryzen 3700X, 2080ti, 32GB, HP Reverb, Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog, Crosswind, SFX-100 motion rig :thumbup:

It was terrible for me at 60hz with flickering. Plus the cliff house image quality went to crap, not dcs though. And i saw 0 frame rate increase in dcs maybe a decrease. I dudnt extendively test it though, but it was in the 30s.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Motion reprojection gives me some micro stuttering on my rig. So I have to live with a bit og ghosting.

So I came across another possible tweek.

Did U guys edited the register file to disable full screen optimisation?

Seems to give a bump up to your fps since it s one process less in the way from Windows.

If I can gain from this, maybe I would be able to use reprojection to get rid of that ghosting. Or even use msaa 2x who knows...

Any info on that?

BR

Edited by VIXEN413

Rig: MB Gigabite z390UD, CPU Intel I7 8700k, RAM 32G DDR4 3200 Gskill ripjaws, GPU MSI RTX2080SuperOC, HDD Crucial mx500 1tb M2 sata, PSU Corsair 850W, watercooling Corsair h100,

Controlers TM f/a 18 stick on Virpil warbrd base, TM cougar f16 stick on cougar base, Cougar F16 throttle on TUSBA, ch pedals, TM cougar MFD

27" monitor with trk IR 5 and HP Reverb HMD.

Modules F18, F16, F86, Mig15, FW 190D9, Nellis range map, Aggr campaign, Middle East map

I find some Ghosting on full and complex Multiplayer session, when my frames dropped under 45FPS ,when I Taxi my F/A-18 to the Runway, with Motionreprojection on. With stable 45Fps it runs perfect .

For the best experience, I have to push my full System to the Maximum, without Hyperthreading and Static 5,1GHz.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick:

I find some Ghosting on full and complex Multiplayer session, when my frames dropped under 45FPS ,when I Taxi my F/A-18 to the Runway, with Motionreprojection on. With stable 45Fps it runs perfect .

For the best experience, I have to push my full System to the Maximum, without Hyperthreading and Static 5,1GHz.

Hey mate, if you're running a Reverb, there actually is no way to disable reprojection. The STEAMVR instructions that say you can turn it off don't apply to WMR HMDs, as they use a totally different API than Valve or Oculus headsets. We can adjust the type of reprojection, but it's impossible to run DCS without it.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Hey mate, if you're running a Reverb, there actually is no way to disable reprojection. The STEAMVR instructions that say you can turn it off don't apply to WMR HMDs, as they use a totally different API than Valve or Oculus headsets. We can adjust the type of reprojection, but it's impossible to run DCS without it.

This is functionally not correct, comment out the line "motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector, in steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings

and it is off and the frame rates will show you that ...

After months of trying to enjoy DCS in VR on my Reverb, I think I’ve found a good compromise that offers a smooth game, yet not sacrificing a crisp image.

The secret?

Lower your Reverb’s refresh rate to 60Hz. This means my 5GHz CPU and 2080 Ti actually has a chance of maintaining 60fps, and thus remove all async reprojection and its associated ghosts. While running at 60Hz was initially a little worse experience than running at 90Hz, my eyes soon adjusted to it, and the incredibly smooth effect of not having reprojection on is absolutely worth it. Until Dice fixes VR in DCS (it’s not just performance that is incredibly broken, the game has other issues like only rendering distant trees in one eye, rotating clouds, and many more) this is a fantastic solution for me to keep it running at 60fps while not having to drastically lower the resolution.

I think Reverb owners should give this a try. On my 5GHz i7/2080 Ti system I’ve had to lower many of the in-game graphics, but can keep textures high and shadows at medium (resulting in a nice, clear F-14 cockpit with realistic shadows). I run DCS at 2160 x 2119 via SteamVR with MSAA off, but VR PD at 1.2. While I do get jaggies on the ground, they’re hard to perceive in the air. Most other settings are set at low to medium – this drop is far less noticeable on the Reverb than on my 3440 x 1440 35” display.

If you want to try this, to lower your Reverb’s refresh rate to 60Hz, do the following.

Start WMR Portal

Click the three bars on the WMR portal’s side to open up the options

Then click “ … See more”, then settings, then Headset Display

Head to the section called “Experience Options” and hit “Change”

Select 60Hz, then close it all up, keeping WMR Portal open, then start SteamVR, and away you go!

Would love to hear your thoughts on this configuration – personally it’s changed my opinion on VR. I still can’t wait for ED to optimise the game for VR so that it runs as well as most other VR titles, when I’ll be able to crank up the resolution even more, but until then it’ll do me.

The 60 Hz setting works superbly for me, liquid smooth. I originally set up my DCS graphics settings in 90 Hz mode so that I could tune the system performance to give me plenty of headroom above 60fps and then locked in the headset at 60Hz.

Steam resolution is set at 100% which since yesterday gives me 22?? X 2160 rez (previously 24?? X 2160).

DCS IPD set to 1. (0.9 if I want a bit more performance).

Supersample filter is switched off (terrible blurry image with it on and exaggerates the centre focus).

I had to give up Mirrors, cockpit shadows and 4XAA to guarantee the system stays above 60fps online.

I will try the 90Hz setting again and limit it to 45Hz in the near future to try and get back the cockpit shadows as they look awesome in VR.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Where is the Super sample filter setting? I don't see it anywhere in DCS settings?

It's a SteamVR setting.

Setting where exactly? I don't see it in Steam VR either?

SteamVR --> Settings --> Video Tab --> "Advanced Supersampling Filtering"

I've deliberately set mine to 90Hz, because the 60 Hz flickers too much for me. However, on most days when I boot my machine and get everything up and running (WMR, SteamVR, DCS) The first time I load into DCS the HMD is at 60 HZ (60 FPS in DCS main menu screen). I then have to go into experience settings, select and deselect 90 Hz again, restart everything, reboot machine, and then it's back to 90 Hz. It's a royal pain in the ass, but eventually works at 90. Anyone else experiencing anything like this, and if so, have a solution? Overall am loving the Reverb, but it's definitely more of a pain to get setup then Rift S was.