DCS Bf 109K-4

Hi Friedrich,

The Mk108 was a excellent air to air weapon. It was designed to be the cutting edge fighter aircraft armament for its time and it was the culmination of the cannon armament philosophy in Germany.

The ballistics for the Mk 108 is outlined in the Flugzeug Handbuch.

So we do not have to guess as what the design achieved. The weapon had what is termed a "Point Blank" zero. This fact overcomes the ballistics issues you are raising.

Had you actually been involved in that conversation waay back in August (some 500 posts and 50 pages back), or followed the thread somewhat more carefully, you would have realised that I wasn't the only one raising any "ballistics issues" with the Mk 108. As it is my response is still the same as it was then:

My point in providing the report on the GAU8 is that it represents the types of problems involved in determining an aircraft weapon's ballistic capabilities during combat, as opposed to data gathered from ground-based test rigs or practice ranges, where targets don't fire back - it was never a direct comparison to the Mk 108.

Perhaps it would be better to open another thread and discuss it with other participants who were raising "ballistics issues" of the MK 108, rather than further disrupting a thread that has moved on from there?

As it is I do have the relevant handbuchs on the MK 108 etc, thanks very much.

Edited by Friedrich-4/B

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point in providing the report on the GAU8 is that it represents the types of problems involved in determining an aircraft weapon's ballistic capabilities during combat

I did not mean to offend you. Just thought the Germans took an interesting approach to the problem of ballistic capabilities and did not realize you already knew all of it.

Answers to most important questions ATC can ask that every pilot should memorize:

1. No, I do not have a pen. 2. Indicating 250

OK:thumbup:. I think earlier 109's had manual control.

Yes, the E had manual oil cooler control, the F-K models had it fully automatic.

http://www.kurfurst.org - The Messerschmitt Bf 109 Performance Resource Site

Vezérünk a bátorság, Kísérőnk a szerencse!

-Motto of the RHAF 101st 'Puma' Home Air Defense Fighter Regiment

The Answer to the Ultimate Question of the K-4, the Universe, and Everything: Powerloading 550 HP / ton, 1593 having been made up to 31th March 1945, 314 K-4s were being operated in frontline service on 31 January 1945.

Sounds good JST. Are we supposed to hear the shell passing objects downrange?

Edited by Crumpp

Answers to most important questions ATC can ask that every pilot should memorize:

I haven't found any way to change mw50 tank content in MP.

2vxja6d.jpg

Would be nice to have as a feature. More range with more b4 fuel or leave the mw50 tank empty for a little lighter plane.

@JST

Nice work ! You have a like and sub from me.

I haven't found any way to change mw50 tank content in MP.

Mission designer sets that.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean.

If you fire a machine gun from a stationary position, you can hear the projectiles normal shock pass down the valley as the sound is reflected back.

In a flat area without obstructions, you would not hear it behind the gun but only if you increased your angle offset the firing weapon.

Listen to the sound in this video.

If you are near the receiving end of the bullet, you will experience that normal shock as a loud crack as it passes by you.

In your demonstration, the weapon sounds fantastic and the effect is correct if the weapon is stationary. Since the sound correctly changes as the canopy closes and I was wondering if it was edited for flight as well.

I heard a sound mod for the .50 cal in the P-51D that did not edit out this effect. It totally ruined an otherwise great sound modification.

• ED Team
Ok but would be more fun for me to do that. :D

And same with gunpods when available.

I agree, while I like the addition of being able to change when the plane is placed, it needs to be somewhere that can be changed like your loadout.

As for gun pods, if they are added, I would assume the will be controlled in the loadout screen like bombs and drop tanks...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

If you fire a machine gun from a stationary position, you can hear the projectiles normal shock pass down the valley as the sound is reflected back.

In a flat area without obstructions, you would not hear it behind the gun but only if you increased your angle offset the firing weapon.

Listen to the sound in this video.

If you are near the receiving end of the bullet, you will experience that normal shock as a loud crack as it passes by you.

In your demonstration, the weapon sounds fantastic and the effect is correct if the weapon is stationary. Since the sound correctly changes as the canopy closes and I was wondering if it was edited for flight as well.

I heard a sound mod for the .50 cal in the P-51D that did not edit out this effect. It totally ruined an otherwise great sound modification.

Ehm.. Yes the sound changes as distance increases, but the distance effect is not modified beyond the defaults.

If this is what you were looking for? But your first reply seems like the there's something there that doesn't fit or belong.

My skins/liveries for Fw 190 D-9 and Bf 109 K-4:

My blog or Forums.

Open for requests as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is the P51 video I saw from DCS. The .50 cal sound mod incorrectly includes the sound the normal shock of the bullet makes going downrange.

You should not hear it.

It is present in your video but should be because the gun is stationary. Understand?

If not PM me.

Ahh, ok, now I understand. Of course not it doesn't make that kind of sound. The soundfiles stay the same in flight anyway, so whatever you hear the cockpit closed with what you hear, muffled but other noises of course, in flight.

I have another video in the Mod topic as well:

E: Also might want to continue any convo about this mod in its respective topic: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135356

Edited by JST

My skins/liveries for Fw 190 D-9 and Bf 109 K-4:

My blog or Forums.

Open for requests as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is the P51 video I saw from DCS. The .50 cal sound mod incorrectly includes the sound the normal shock of the bullet makes going downrange.

You should not hear it.

It is present in your video but should be because the gun is stationary. Understand?

If not PM me.

Yeah, thats my video :P I have now moded the mod so it doesn't include that. It is simple. The sample was under "Browning_EndL" and "Browning_EndR". It realy was annoying though, I have to admit. Just if you need that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Yeah, thats my video

It is a good skill to have being able to program and modify these things. The sound of the .50 cal itself was good in your modification, btw. I have fired quite a few M2's and I believed it!

I would think the Mk 108 because it is positioned right between the pilots legs would be just rattle your teeth when fired.

Kind of like the P-39 Aircobra's propeller shaft. One of the guys who flew one during World War II said you could really feel rpm changes and even the propeller pitch changes because the shaft went right under your seat.

It is a good skill to have being able to program and modify these things. The sound of the .50 cal itself was good in your modification, btw. I have fired quite a few M2's and I believed it!

I would think the Mk 108 because it is positioned right between the pilots legs would be just rattle your teeth when fired.

Kind of like the P-39 Aircobra's propeller shaft. One of the guys who flew one during World War II said you could really feel rpm changes and even the propeller pitch changes because the shaft went right under your seat.

You missunderstood me. The sound mod is not mine. I got it from the DCS mods at the main page. I have only altered the sound "echo" of the machineguns using also existing original preset. Nothing fancy. Here is the link.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/599394/

And to achieve that you just have to go to a game sound you like, shoot with a MG for 5 seconds which will make sound long enough and record it doing so. Then convert the MP4 or MP3 clip to .WAV and name it as in the game folder, so that it will swap them. Voila. You have a new sound. Or you can try to extract the sound from the game via some stuff that is actually quite difficult (but will give you better quality).

It is realy simple to switch those sounds as every sound is in .WAV which makes it realy easy. You just have to get a

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

You missunderstood me. The sound mod is not mine. I got it from the DCS mods at the main page. I have only altered the sound "echo" of the machineguns using also existing original preset. Nothing fancy. Here is the link.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/599394/

And to achieve that you just have to go to a game sound you like, shoot with a MG for 5 seconds which will make sound long enough and record it doing so. Then convert the MP4 or MP3 clip to .WAV and name it as in the game folder, so that it will swap them. Voila. You have a new sound. Or you can try to extract the sound from the game via some stuff that is actually quite difficult (but will give you better quality).

It is realy simple to switch those sounds as every sound is in .WAV which makes it realy easy. You just have to get a

Another option would be to adjust the volume level of the games 109.wav files(some are quite good) and swap them in with the higher volume value, base, treble adjustments