Best Vsync?

See attached.

Thanks, I am stupid and didn't see it before. Quick question. What is the difference then between setting a max fps of 60 and using normal vsync? Isn't that the same? Obviously not, but why?

Stay safe

Thanks, I am stupid and didn't see it before. Quick question. What is the difference then between setting a max fps of 60 and using normal vsync? Isn't that the same? Obviously not, but why?

I choose to cap at 60 because my screen is 60hz and I don't want it to surpass that, which is what happens with Fast Sync enabled - also I have normal vsync disabled in DCS options so it doesn't cancel out Fast Sync being enforced by the driver.

For me VSync (3D application) plays nicer then Fast with a cap of 60 FPS (i'm on a 60Hz monitor). Fast with capped 60 gives more stutters.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Only Fast does not cap FPS at the monitors refreshrate of 60Hz. Over 60 FPS and TrackIR starts to play up. No TrackIR is fine though.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Only Fast does not cap FPS at the monitors refreshrate of 60Hz. Over 60 FPS and TrackIR starts to play up. No TrackIR is fine though.

Sorry I didn't catch what you meant. Can you rephrase please? I'm really interested in knowing about this. Thanks.

Stay safe

I guess you mean the TrackIR part: TrackIR is limited to 60Hz. If the refresh rate of the monitor is capable of going higer then 60Hz and set higher then 60Hz you have stuttering in TrackIR due to TrackIK's limits of 60Hz.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218331&highlight=trackir+stutter

If you go no-VSync on a 60Hz monitor, FPS can go higher (if you PC is capable) and then you have tearing because of the extra frames being not always in sync with the monitors refresh rate.

FAST setting: GPU renders uncontrained similar to VSync OFF, but does not tear since frames in excess of the refresh rate of the monitor are dropped. Delivers latency that is very close to VSync OFF with no tearing.

This means that your FPS can go higher again but if you have a 60Hz monitor, it's a useless setting because it's onlt capable of producing 60FPS at a smooth rate (noticable when looking around). This is also true when capped at 60 in the Nvidia setting because for me it gives that slight stutter with TrackIR again as if the refresh rate is higher then TrackIR is capable of processing.

Best is to set this setting so it looks good to you as smooth as it is possible. "For me" that is with VSync ON. I don't chase FPS, i chase the smoothest ride. You're taste may vary.

I guess you mean the TrackIR part: TrackIR is limited to 60Hz. If the refresh rate of the monitor is capable of going higer then 60Hz and set higher then 60Hz you have stuttering in TrackIR due to TrackIK's limits of 60Hz.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218331&highlight=trackir+stutter

If you go no-VSync on a 60Hz monitor, FPS can go higher (if you PC is capable) and then you have tearing because of the extra frames being not always in sync with the monitors refresh rate.

FAST setting: GPU renders uncontrained similar to VSync OFF, but does not tear since frames in excess of the refresh rate of the monitor are dropped. Delivers latency that is very close to VSync OFF with no tearing.

This means that your FPS can go higher again but if you have a 60Hz monitor, it's a useless setting because it's onlt capable of producing 60FPS at a smooth rate (noticable when looking around). This is also true when capped at 60 in the Nvidia setting because for me it gives that slight stutter with TrackIR again as if the refresh rate is higher then TrackIR is capable of processing.

Best is to set this setting so it looks good to you as smooth as it is possible. "For me" that is with VSync ON. I don't chase FPS, i chase the smoothest ride. You're taste may vary.

With ingame vsync on I see too much input latency and sometimes when it gets lower than 60 it gets worse. That's why I was looking for a different approach. I don't really get what is trackir stutter... Stutter is within an image, don't really understand what people mean by trackir stutter. Saw the videos but still don't see anything but FPS stutter.

Stay safe

• 10 months later...

I may have a different approach. I had those micro jitters as well but I found a way to fix it. 

Configuration:

Acer Predator Gsync Monitor running at 144Hz. 

2xAorus 2080ti 11G Waterforce in SLI but not active for DCS. 
TrackIR 5

What I did for my settings:
I changed up the graphics.lua and put a comment tag on the 180fps max setting. I think it will work without that as well. 

In the nvidia settings for DCS I use Gsync with 60fps locked and vsync set to On(fluent).

I tryed the other vsync options with less desired success. 

Lastly I made sure DCS runs in fullscreen mode and the in game is set to off. 

After that I now can run at constant 60fps with a heck of a fluent head tracking. Plus this setting does not interfere with OBS recordings. 

Cheers

IronEagle

Track ir stutter is when the game is moving smoothly with no tearing or stutter. However when you move your head around with the track ir, ie, panning, it stutters as you move your head around.

Personally I use vsync in game, DCS. I set nvidia to maximum power management. Seems to work for me. Every system/monitor setup is different though.