NEW SERVER-= ACG WW2 Server (EU) =-

IronJockel

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While we wait for these changes, can I encourage some of us to fly Blue a bit more? The Blue airfield is usually covered from all sides because more pilots want to fly on the Red team.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

... because more pilots want to fly on the Red team.

Hi,

it is not generaly true, i always prefer play with Pony but very often (for instance yesterday) i played with Dora because blue side was "overcrowded" and red is nearly empty.

Yes, sometimes it is vice versa.

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

It's very varying but usually the red side outnumbers the blue. What I find somewhat disappointing is that the experienced players tend to crowd on the red side and the blue side is filled by more beginners. Which makes the current matchup against the pony doubly hard. Would be great to see more of the experienced hotshots switching to blue to equalize the often one-sided slaughter a bit. Will probably flip for a while or permanently once the Spit arrives. Long story short: Experienced pilots, please consider not taking the latest and greatest and equalize the teams for the benefit of all.

Hotshots know that their plane allows them to be even better and some watch their stats really close. And you won't be able to have stats like 100k/12d flying the slower and less maneuverable plane. Spit will bring some power, but that's only in turn fighting. Germans will still be way faster so I wouldn't count on it to be a complex game changer. But at least it will bring some new flavour and red team will have to adjust their tactics. Actually... That might be a nice game changer.

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Right now we got more blues than reds. From my observations it strongly depends on the hour you playing in. When more US players join more Ponys and at European time peak European plane players usually have more numbers.

When the Spitfire is released half of the British players will come over. I guarantee you that. After all the entire folk of the United Kindom seems to be in deep love with that plane.

However player numbers vary. Sometimes more blue sometimes red. Right now it's blue ;)

Yes, sometimes there are more blue than red. However, the close combat setup favors aircraft with a better rate of climb. Once the red team has the blue base covered, there is nothing to do but play defense from below. In 20 minutes I saw 4 red pilots die in the AAA because they couldn't wait for blue pilots to climb out (or they don't want them to have the opportunity to get altitude).

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Yes, sometimes there are more blue than red. However, the close combat setup favors aircraft with a better rate of climb. Once the red team has the blue base covered, there is nothing to do

I'm sure some players do vulch, but it is not as common as is complained about here and on the server. A player who has engaged you "fairly" that follows the attack into your AAA is not vulching. I also commonly see blue just fly circles around their airfield and not proceed to the bullseye. When they are engaged many make a beeline to the airfield for AAA coverage (good and fair tactic). I have been on many times where I circle at bullseye and blue just circles the airfield. It's not vulching to engage aircraft at altitude near their base. Especially if they will not come to the bullseye to fight. There is an inherent advantage being close to your AAA coverage where can run for cover with the battle doesn't go your way. I would love to have the fight near red base for that advantage.

I'm in the USA so I usually fly in the evening here but do go on during the day on my days off. The makeup is usually even during the day with the Europeans on, though on occasion the numbers for either side can be higher due to the fluctuation of people logging in and out. The nights are usually blue heavy as Iron Jockel said. I have flown 7 blue vs 2 red and had to go engage at the blue airfield because that's the area they stayed in. I fly almost every day and do not believe vulching is as widespread as reported. I fly the 51 as well and have yet to be vulched.

That being said I have no problem with alternate airfields further back and would welcome it for those who want more time to get to altitude or avoid occasional vulching that may occur. If vulching is as bad as claimed please post Tacviews demonstrating this, not just isolated occurances.

Edited by DarkRaiderss

More P51's because it is a cheaper module. So for new pilots, they buy the P51 to see what DCS ww2 fighters are all about. That's the facts in a nutshell.

On a different note, when I fly instant missions the maps that come up are glorious. But the WW2 server here has that ugly winter drab terrain and even when its summer it looks less interesting than the terrains you see when flying instant missions.

I don't know what the maps are since I'm relatively new, but all I know is that the current map is ugly.

Plus the pony is the first clickable plane you get to play with in free dcsw so the mustang paid is a natural upgrade as you'll know roughly how to fly it at first. The gyro sight is a doddle to use and the plane wafts around the sky and that canopy is great.

The 109 can be hard to learn in comparison to the mustang and requires a lot more skill for some people. I need to spend a few hours with it again and fiddle with my controls

I seemed to be able to out fly the 190 in the mustang. The 190 currently has one of the nicest pits. That stupid flare gun really annoys me in the 109 since I don't know how to get rid of it in mp and I'm British so of course I want to fly the spit. Who doesn't want 109 vs spit even if the versions are wrong for battle of britain.

Flying the pony was really fun. I forgot why I'd neglected it as I mainly fly the 190. It's far more forgiving.

Really good fun flying though even if I had a terrible time dog fighting as going for the kill only to blow my engine up in the mustang and then crash on the runway several times in the 109 before blowing up the engine on takeoff and then making a near perfect no wheels glide on to the side of a hill. I'd not flown the mustang for 8 months and I was able to takeoff from the grass almost with my eyes closed and get hits on target within 10 min. The 190 is as easy, but I'm learning to use the gyro again and the 109 I was having a bad time in.

Depends how you feel on the day.

Edited by BFBunny

flare gun really annoys me in the 109 since I don't know how to get rid of it in mp

You can not, only map builder can do it in map editor and several Bfs have (or had?) note on the plane list : "No flare gun" they shoul be without it.

Pony is the easiest to handle it, both LW planes are really hard to learn and lot of players end with them when they are not able to perform take off or landing...

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

Love the server!

With the latest DCS 1.5.3 release, I was wondering if "Imposters=Large" is still required so that everyone on the server can spot well? Would Imposters=Small work? I find the large setting creates massive fuzzy imposters for planes that are quite far away. Is this what others are experiencing?

Cheers!

Love the server!

With the latest DCS 1.5.3 release, I was wondering if "Imposters=Large" is still required so that everyone on the server can spot well? Would Imposters=Small work? I find the large setting creates massive fuzzy imposters for planes that are quite far away. Is this what others are experiencing?

Cheers!

I get the same thing, playing at 2560x1080. Would definitely prefer smaller imposters, large settings makes it easier to see planes, but more difficult to judge distance. Actually, if I had my druthers I'd even turn them off completely, but that's just me.

See this thread: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160634

The impostors.fx file he modded is more important than the config file. With 1.5.3 aircraft still blend in with the ground clutter no matter their size. With the modded impostors.fx file aircraft show up better against the ground clutter and against the sky (you don't need the modded config file).

Anyway, I prefer the "small" setting with 1.5.3, but I wish everyone were free to choose as they like in multiplayer.:yes:

• Like 1

Dont play so much often DCS multiplayer, but the first time i go back to fly dora on the ACG server, i think what the hack on my 1920x1080 resulution it looks like on far disctance B-17 go involved in a dogfight.

When you get near the contacts are vanished, and some disturbing LOD changes.

I am also think small setting would be looking at all better, but this should Jockels decision.

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

See this thread: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160634

The impostors.fx file he modded is more important than the config file. With 1.5.3 aircraft still blend in with the ground clutter no matter their size. With the modded impostors.fx file aircraft show up better against the ground clutter and against the sky (you don't need the modded config file).

Anyway, I prefer the "small" setting with 1.5.3, but I wish everyone were free to choose as they like in multiplayer.:yes:

I was wondering why bogeys looked so large at distance...

Would it be possible to beef up the missions with some ground targets for both sides, please?

I also commonly see blue just fly circles around their airfield and not proceed to the bullseye. When they are engaged many make a beeline to the airfield for AAA coverage (good and fair tactic). I have been on many times where I circle at bullseye and blue just circles the airfield. It's not vulching to engage aircraft at altitude near their base. Especially if they will not come to the bullseye to fight. There is an inherent advantage being close to your AAA coverage where can run for cover with the battle doesn't go your way. I would love to have the fight near red base for that advantage.

If they're facing exclusively 190s, then yes--it seems odd for the P-51s to hang around their ack-ack all day. However, if they're also facing 109s, then that's really all the P-51s can do. Anything else is suicide, assuming even pilot count/skillpool.

Aside from the mission altitude favoring the 109, the P-51D is stuck with lowest of its authorized WEP ratings which saw combat--unlike the 109, which has approximately the best of its authorized boost ratings which saw combat. The result of these combined factors: the 109 out-runs, out-climbs, and out-turns the P-51. That's effectively holding all the cards. Not literally all of them, of course, but those three are the ones that really matter in hard combat.

So, whenever the teams are numerically even (or weighted toward red), then expect P-51s to hang around their AAA. There really isn't much more they can do, against 109s. That's what happens when you pit a low-boost example of a P-51D versus a high-boost example of a 109K, at low or medium altitude.

If they're facing exclusively 190s, then yes--it seems odd for the P-51s to hang around their ack-ack all day. However, if they're also facing 109s, then that's really all the P-51s can do. Anything else is suicide, assuming even pilot count/skillpool.

Aside from the mission altitude favoring the 109, the P-51D is stuck with lowest of its authorized WEP ratings which saw combat--unlike the 109, which has approximately the best of its authorized boost ratings which saw combat. The result of these combined factors: the 109 out-runs, out-climbs, and out-turns the P-51. That's effectively holding all the cards. Not literally all of them, of course, but those three are the ones that really matter in hard combat.

So, whenever the teams are numerically even (or weighted toward red), then expect P-51s to hang around their AAA. There really isn't much more they can do, against 109s. That's what happens when you pit a low-boost example of a P-51D versus a high-boost example of a 109K, at low or medium altitude.

Exactly why we need more complex missions, with ground targets. As long as it's only about P-51s duelling 109s and 190s, they will be hopelessly outclassed.

In real life there was always a greater purpose to a mission, where each aircraft could play its role to its strengths.

Ground targets seem like they'd only exacerbate the problem, because it'd force the combat to be even lower than it already is. Generally, I've found combat to occur somewhere around 10,000 feet, in multiplayer flight sims. With close bases, usually a couple thousand feet lower. But if it's a GA mission, then there's not much choice but for combat to occur below 5000 feet. I don't remember the P-51D's power curve, exactly, but I think it's even worse at <5000 ft. than it is at 10–15k.

The best solution would be to get one of the slightly-higher historical ratings for the P-51, but if ED isn't going to do that anytime soon, then there are very few good options. One thing I'd like to see people try is setting up the mission with the lower-boost 109. I suspect it might result in the same problem, but in reverse (that is, P-51 dominance instead of 109 dominance), but--AFAIK--it hasn't ever really been tried. It's surely worth checking out.

The only other thing I can think of would be a high-altitude mission with air starts. I really don't like air starts, myself, but I don't know how else P-51s are going to be able to effectively fight a 109 when the latter is running much closer to max rating. The 109 generally was a better dogfighter than the P-51, with contemporary ratings, because similar power and less mass. So, the 109's already going to tend to be better in the dogfight than the P-51. The problem gets serious when you bring in a rating disparity problem, as well as low altitudes.

Edited by Echo38