Multiple Installs of DCS1.5.6 and latest 2.0

gary palmer

With current/only install of DCS; which is DCS 1.5.6 I only have 24GB of free space on my C drive which is an Intel 120GB SSD.

Want to install DCS 2.0 to a separate Samsung SSD so will not be on same drive as Windows7-64bit OS. In long term when DCS heads in the direction of a unified DCS involving Caucaus, Normandy and Nevada maps plus more; I would not be able to fit such a big install on my current C Drive.

Is it possible for me to keep current DCS 1.5.6 install; which is on C drive with OS, but also install DCS 2.0 on separate drive and use all my modules purchased on both versions/installs without licensing issue. Installations will be on same computer??

Have high end MOBO, CPU and RAM, GRAPHICS CARD so will I notice any performance or other issues as DCS 2.0 will not be running on default location of C drive but on another SSD??

Are they any known issues with having two versions of DCS installed and particularly with running DCS 2.0 on separate hard drive to C drive??

thx raso+r; and how do you find the samsung evo 850ssd for gaming?

does DCS update ok if not on default drive C?

It's ok for gaming and really shortens loading times...

And yes, there should be no problem with updating

I have 1.5 on the ssd and 2.0 on my hdd, everything works normal

Default location is up to You, installer only suggest C drive and Program Files folder because that's what pretty much all software installers do nowadays, not because of any performance advantage of this concept. OK, one could argue that people usually put their C partition on the fastest drive, but that's not always the case (for example, my system runs off an old HDD, while my new SSD is reserved for resource hungry games only).

You can have as many copies of DCS on Your PC as You want, anywhere You want, I presume both SSDs will run on the same controller, so performance will only depend on SSD type You intend to buy (quite possibly Your new Samsung will be even somewhat faster than Your old Intel).

License keys are stored in Your Windows registry, so You won't have to reactivate modules again once 2.0.5 is up and running.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

On the issue of multiple installs - I have both 1.5.6 and 2.0 Alpha installed - both fresh installs. Trying to download my modules (acct) and they always go to version 2. How do I get them into 1.5.6?

Your assistance appreciated.

Regards

Rob

YM002

Compass Virtual Airlines - Stretch Your Wings Australia

On the issue of multiple installs - I have both 1.5.6 and 2.0 Alpha installed - both fresh installs. Trying to download my modules (acct) and they always go to version 2. How do I get them into 1.5.6?

Your assistance appreciated.

They install in whichever version you are running when you open the Module Manager.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Greywoolf I am not sure if this will help, but modules must be installed from within the game's module manager.

So go to module manager within each of DCS 1.5.6 and 2.0.5 - modules to be installed will show as needing to be installed within each version of DCS module manager.

Hope that helps...Gary