just a thought

sotosev

I had an idea. When Normandy 1944 is ready and out, it could be easy to transfer map into today look. Half of the job might be ready.

System specs below

Case - Antec Three Hundred

PSU - Corsair AX750watt

Board - MSI Z170A GAMING PRO

CPU - Intel i5 6600K 3900MHz

Cooler - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus

Memory - Kingston HYPERX 16G DDR4 2400Mhz CL15

Graphics - MSI GEFORCE GTX 980 GAMING 4G

SSD - Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2 NVMe

Monitor - Philips 277E 27" 1920x1080 60Hz

OS - Windows 10 Home 64bit

Flight Controllers - Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG, Saitek COMBAT RUDDER PEDALS, TrackIR 4, Track Clip Pro

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, the logic is that you would get a modern map (like Caucasus or NTTR) with little effort. Not sure if that is true though. It might still be a lot of work - only ED knows...

Plus, luckily there where not many modern day wars in that area. That's why I hope they put their resources more into the Strait of Hormuz etc. - at least for now.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

I've been on vacation in that region several times.

I'd say, trigger an explosion on all German bunkers (except the harbor fortifications in Cherbourg; during my last visit as a child they were still pretty much present) and you're almost there. Just modern day vehicles, some factories, modern airports and a bit of infrastructure missing IMO. :D

But seriously, Normandy is a beautiful region with great and friendly people, and despite the war, many of the towns, houses and estates still look pretty old and have lots of old buildings and infrastructure still present. I believe flying over 1944 Normandy and pretending it's a modern day scenario doesn't require too much imagination.

Coming from Germany, it's usually different here. Most of the bigger towns had to be rebuilt after the war, and that shows. Almost every major foreign city I've visited looks a lot older and more ancient than ours do. Not judging, just saying: modern day Germany looks very different from pre WW II in terms of infrastructure; even a Fulda gap scenario would probably be pretty off by now, seeing as the reunification caused a massive overhaul in the eastern part of the country.

Urgs. Sorry for long winded post. Just wanted to say I think "our" Normandy it's probably going to be a lot closer to the modern area than some other parts of the world would be. Hopefully it won't be long until we all can get a first hand look. ;)

• Like 1

It would be possible of course, but I think we are far more likely to get more appropriate theatres for modern scenarios.

The first is the Strait of Hormuz, and I suspect Leatherneck are working on something in the Baltic region or North Sea.

I suspect it's just simpler to pick a time period and run with it.

Yeah but.... why?

exactly...;-)

P-51, 190-D9, 109-K4, Spitfire MK IX, Normandy, and everything else:joystick:

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals

IIRC Sith said something about SKD for map creation and modding going to be made available for DCSW 2.5.

Who knows what one could do with the map. Maybe somebody will strip it down to the bone and make a section of North Africa with it :tomato:

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• 2 months later...

Still, flying Su-27s over Las Vegas does not shock anyone :D

That said, would not require too much imagination to set some sort of 70's scenario over that same map or even more recent.

So that idea is not sounding so stupid to me :) I mean in movies Aliens are attacking earth so that's not more stupid than a France/England war :D

I mean in movies Aliens are attacking earth so that's not more stupid than a France/England war :D

The stupid thing I hate about those movies is when the F-22s and Apaches go into a knife fight with Godzilla-like monsters and get crushed by the beast's claws. How unrealistic is that?! :lol:

Okay, back on topic, the recent screenshots looked so amazing, can't wait to get the map. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

From what I can tell, Normandy will work well with modern jets, and it hasn't changed enough to break immersion. My one concern is runway lengths and quality not being able to handle some of the aircraft. (MiG 21 and SU-25 on landing) Luckily, I think the Viggen will be fine!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-10C, FC3, P-51, BF-109, UH-1, MI-8, KA-50, M2000C, AJS-37, Gazelle, F-5E, L-39, F-86, MiG-15, MiG-21.

Well, the logic is that you would get a modern map (like Caucasus or NTTR) with little effort. Not sure if that is true though. It might still be a lot of work - only ED knows...

Plus, luckily there where not many modern day wars in that area. That's why I hope they put their resources more into the Strait of Hormuz etc. - at least for now.

France and England never used to get along. Maybe they will revisit some of their previous disagreements.:music_whistling:

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-10C, FC3, P-51, BF-109, UH-1, MI-8, KA-50, M2000C, AJS-37, Gazelle, F-5E, L-39, F-86, MiG-15, MiG-21.

Was I dreaming? I thought I read one of the devs saying that if you set the date for modern day there would be some changes to make it more suitable for modern day scenarios. Maybe it was just a dream....

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

Was I dreaming? I thought I read one of the devs saying that if you set the date for modern day there would be some changes to make it more suitable for modern day scenarios. Maybe it was just a dream....

They stated that they are thinking about doing that in the future. No definite plans as far as I am aware, and I imagine it wouldn't be available for quite some time. We shall see!