Improving distnat target visual ID by lowering AA and Aniso...

Anatoli-Kagari9

Found, thx to a post at another thread, that simply setting AA to 2x in game ( or even None ) and Anisotropic Filtering to None, gives me visual contact a lot better at distance when playing at the WW2 MP servers.

I am running with my monitor native 1920 x 1080 resolution.

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Was talking to PC-9 pilot couple of days ago. About visibility to!

On a clear day ~7 miles seeing something is there, < 5 miles to start distinguishing it

That's good info. as a lot of people were discussing the distance for use in the Sim. to be as close to reality as possible.

Now we have an actual pilot giving true distances to contact for immersion .

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

17 - 23km for dc3 sized ac IF you know where it should be in the sky, according to https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2680596/#!po=0.340136.

"Howell [5] carried out a field study in which pilots attempted to detect another aircraft (DC-3) approaching on a collision course. Over various conditions, the average distance at which detection by the pilot occurred (“detection distance”) was from 5.5 to 8.7 km. Of greater relevance to this study, the subject aircraft also carried an experimenter who knew exactly the approach angle of the target aircraft, and “kept constant vigil with his naked eye” until he detected the intruder aircraft. This “threshold distance”, over the same conditions, averaged from 17.3 to 23 km, about three times larger than the detection distance. We will return to these results later in this paper. Analyzing these data, Graham and Orr concluded that see and avoid failures were due primarily to failure to detect the target [1]. No attempt was made to predict aircraft visibility."

Edited by Slazi
  • Like 1