R-27ER update?

Schmidtfire

Again to conclude...

If you look the results, the Aim-7m which we know is as accurate as possible,

was able to have ~30-40% higher turn rate with ~55% shorter turn radius, pulling 3x times AoA (thus much much larger drag) with the same G and much lower speed loss ( 9% vs 39%).

I can't find any logical reason why the R-27r would have such bad turning performance

Edited by FoxAlfa

-------

All the people keep asking for capabilities to be modelled.... I want the limitations to be modelled.... limitations make for realistic simulation.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a bit you realize the pig likes it.

Long time ago in galaxy far far away:

https://www.deviantart.com/alfafox/gallery

The lift coefficient on the R-27 is very small compared to other missiles - 0.4 and 0.5 where other missiles are 0.8 and 0.9 or so.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Unfortunately my power's been out. So I'm late to the party but I'll post these anyway in case they're of some use. Identical situation for both. I flew the target aircraft. No countermeasures. Maneuver only. AIM-7M hit, while R-27R missed. Both missiles launched simultaneously from headon.

attachment.php?attachmentid=208898&stc=1&d=1555602819

attachment.php?attachmentid=208899&stc=1&d=1555602819

attachment.php?attachmentid=208902&stc=1&d=1555605133

attachment.php?attachmentid=208900&stc=1&d=1555602819

R-27R--AIM-7M-01.thumb.jpg.9c66a96b56d54f5ef604255a04468e48.jpg

R-27R--AIM-7M-02.thumb.jpg.151e3d7ec79c84917bb15565d2526e06.jpg

R-27R--AIM-7M-03.thumb.jpg.a7992462e35d6f4e5200415e898c03b1.jpg

R-27R--AIM-7M-04.thumb.jpg.fb54d0dbfbc4d3338e2ac72a6d58661f.jpg

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Worth noting also is, since the Aim-7 did hit, it did have even more room to maneuver, but R-27r missing is already over the limit. Making the difference even bigger.

-------

All the people keep asking for capabilities to be modelled.... I want the limitations to be modelled.... limitations make for realistic simulation.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a bit you realize the pig likes it.

Like I pointed out, the lift values for the R-27 are really on the low side. I'm reasonably certain I have them where they need to be in the missile mod.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Here the R-27t gets on the target quite fast, in first few seconds, as soon as it gets some air flow over the wings, much smaller turn radius then the 4.3km then I managed to get in the DCS.

Also it is a shot with quite the deflection.

-------

• ED Team
Hello,

I did some more tests and need your help understanding the results.

I was trying to figure out the maneuverability of the missiles and the R-27r again managed to surprise me.

The setup is simple fire a missile at a parallel flying non-maneuvering Yak-40, 45' to the right and 6 km away.

attachment.php?attachmentid=208849&stc=1&d=1555533252

here are the results table:

attachment.php?attachmentid=208854&stc=1&d=1555533280

Graphs:

R-27r:

attachment.php?attachmentid=208853&stc=1&d=1555533280

Aim-7:

attachment.php?attachmentid=208850&stc=1&d=1555533252

Aim-120:

attachment.php?attachmentid=208852&stc=1&d=1555533280

R-77:

attachment.php?attachmentid=208851&stc=1&d=1555533252

I will compare only R-27r and Aim-7m since they are same aero configuration with R-27r being more advanced and developed with the full knowledge of the aero of Aim-7E.

Basically, the weight difference is neglactable here since R-27r burns much faster.

And even since R-27 is going faster the speed quickly drops to the similar speed to the Aim-7 so higher speed can not enplane such big differences in performance.

The speed loss can be explained since the R-27r is maneuvering all the time and not able to get on the target but other differences in performance is stunning.

If you look the results Aim-7m was able to have ~30-40% higher turn rate with ~55% shorter turn radius, pulling 3x times AoA (thus much much larger drag) with a much lower speed loss ( 9% vs 39%).

What gives? I can't find any logical reason why the R-27r would have such bad turing performance...

The fact is that the AIM-7 made a new model according to the results of the simulation in the CFD software, and the R-27 is still the old one.

Over time, we will do it for R-27 too.

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

The fact is that the AIM-7 made a new model according to the results of the simulation in the CFD software, and the R-27 is still the old one.

Over time, we will do it for R-27 too.

Thats great news Chizh. Does that include all models of the R27 family?

Edited by ///Rage

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Thank you for the info Chizh! I looking forward to the new R-27 in the future :)

-------

• 4 weeks later...

The diagrams are very interesting as the R27 is the worst in about everything and....

It just doesn't feel wrong, it even looks totally wrong. It can't turn, it can't keep speed, it can't track. Only thing it seems to be able to do is accelerate and then just lose speed faster than anything else, faster than all other missiles combined.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah every missile in game (except maybe the AIM-7) has too much drag and too little lift.

This is a graph I made comparing DCS vanilla, "That other sim", and number I plugged into DCS using CFD. Just the R27R though not the ER.

:mad:

fix the RU missiles please chizh :helpsmilie: :helpsmilie::helpsmilie:

MSI Z170A G45, 32 GB DDR 4, 1080ti, I7 6700k, Trackir5, Warthog HOTAS. Microsoft FF2 Sidewinder

Chizh, great news on the up coming R27 family updates, any estimates on when we can expect to receive it in the openbeta?

Keep up the great work!

Do you plan on eventually getting around to all the missiles in DCS to do a proper CFD analysis? The mistral is pretty physics defying, its something worth looking into.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

• 2 months later...

Ping for the update :)

-------

When/IF the R-27 family gets a update, I wish that some people have done very good tests to compare the performance, do we get better or worse R-27 missiles. As it can very well be that we get worse than now, or no difference of any kind.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

When/IF the R-27 family gets a update, I wish that some people have done very good tests to compare the performance, do we get better or worse R-27 missiles. As it can very well be that we get worse than now, or no difference of any kind.

Well, what we should expect isn't necessary a bigger range... but better performance against maneuvering target, something a keen to CFD modeled Aim-7 now...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3887106&postcount=263

-------