PC upgrade advice needed

Man, my new rig arrived, I installed windows and everything in a blink of an eye, then came DCS. It runs like a dream almost all maxed out! Unbelievable!!! :O

The only negative surprise is that loading times aren't that much shorter from an SSD. I mean they are less than half of what I had before, but not like 1-2-3 done. Oh well, I'm very happy now, thanks for all the help and advice! :)

You raised the setting parameters and the load time increased :music_whistling:

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

The SSD is waiting for the CPU to decompress because its a single core task. Thats why it still takes a long time but its not because of the SSD itself. ED really need to take DCS to the multicore era.

Multi-Core will not magically make transferring 50+GB from SSD to Ram "1-2-3 Instant"...

SSDs still have a Max Read of a Few Hundred MB/sec.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

yes but they currently are not being maxed out by the game. The decompression method is single thread bound and is the bottleneck.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Man, my new rig arrived, I installed windows and everything in a blink of an eye, then came DCS. It runs like a dream almost all maxed out! Unbelievable!!! :O

The only negative surprise is that loading times aren't that much shorter from an SSD. I mean they are less than half of what I had before, but not like 1-2-3 done. Oh well, I'm very happy now, thanks for all the help and advice! :)

Games not only load sequential data, and sims even less. I presume there is an awful lot going on when DCS loads a mission, representing 25 years of software development, it is more akin to launching an operating system

Speaking of which, if have installed your OS on a SSD and launch it for the very first time, and your jaw does not drop a bit, I am surprised what is going on.

I dunno. maybe you SSD is simply shit or you have not hooked it up to a channel that is using its full potential?

Well, you can switch DCS to Windowed Mode along with TaskManager and RessourceMonitor opened up. Then do the DCS stuff in question and monitor your system processing your DCS loading, flying etc..

I know for a fact that I had missions on my spare rig that took MINUTES to load IF they even loaded, about half of the time DCS crashed. That was with 6GB and a HDD. I then put a spare SSD into that system and things got better but the 6GB still were a massive show stopper on bigger missions. I have to say, that system was BELOW the minimum requirements for RAM

and even 8GB are not enough for many missions imho.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X