Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50 - Page 148 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-20-2017, 09:11 AM   #1471
LeCuvier

Reputation power: 7
LeCuvier has a spectacular aura aboutLeCuvier has a spectacular aura aboutLeCuvier has a spectacular aura aboutLeCuvier has a spectacular aura about

I suppose there is still no switch indicating whether the flip trigger is up or down? That would be a wasted opportunity!
And the index switch still has no tactile feedback when moved forward?
Old 10-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #1472
Looney

Reputation power: 10
Looney is a jewel in the roughLooney is a jewel in the roughLooney is a jewel in the roughLooney is a jewel in the roughLooney is a jewel in the roughLooney is a jewel in the rough

If I buy from Virpil directly, will there be any problem using a Netherlands credit card? I tried buying online from Russia before but my creditcard wasn't accepted due to it being a Netherlands one.

Amazon states the T-50 stick and base or not available....
Old 10-20-2017, 11:24 AM   #1473
Cyph3r

Reputation power: 8
Cyph3r is a jewel in the roughCyph3r is a jewel in the roughCyph3r is a jewel in the roughCyph3r is a jewel in the roughCyph3r is a jewel in the roughCyph3r is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCuvier View Post
I suppose there is still no switch indicating whether the flip trigger is up or down? That would be a wasted opportunity!
And the index switch still has no tactile feedback when moved forward?
This is just a style change (like the Black Edition). In the future we'll be expanding the lineup with more functionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
If I buy from Virpil directly, will there be any problem using a Netherlands credit card? I tried buying online from Russia before but my creditcard wasn't accepted due to it being a Netherlands one.

Amazon states the T-50 stick and base or not available....
We already have a number of customers from the Netherlands with no problems! With some banks (worldwide) the first payment will fail due to the bank auto-blocking it, however a quick phone call to them and you can place a second order which will be succesful.

By the way, we're in Belarus not Russia!

Also, the stock in our EU (Amazon) warehouse got snatched up very quickly - we're working on getting the next shipment over, but I don't have an ETA just yet - our main webstore orders have the priority!

Last edited by Cyph3r; 10-20-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Cyph3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:58 AM   #1474
Rogue Trooper

Reputation power: 10
Rogue Trooper is just really niceRogue Trooper is just really niceRogue Trooper is just really niceRogue Trooper is just really niceRogue Trooper is just really niceRogue Trooper is just really niceRogue Trooper is just really niceRogue Trooper is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburne View Post
Yes they definitely need to tighten up on the QC of the finished product before it leaves their assembly plant, hopefully they will do so. It really is a very nice design, and the fact you can get an all in one package with an extension kit allowing for various lengths, and a desk mount bracket is a huge selling feature.

As I have talked about previously, I am on my second T-50 base, and have now logged many hours of flying in it. Whilst I don't really notice it all that much while flying just moving it around when not flying I can feel the roughness of the cams , and hear it as well. This was very disappointing after what I went through with the first base, and in fact the first one was so much smoother.

But I will say even with that, I am still very glad I got this setup. I have way better and smoother control than I ever had with my Warthog. I just hope my cams or whatever never work loose, taking this thing apart and working on it got me in real trouble with my first one, and while I appreciate the customizability for me I would much prefer not to get into that thing again. I just want to continue to fly and have fun.
And I will say the support has been very good so far as well.
Hey dburne,

Now that you have some experience with your new kit and especially since you used the warthog, I need to ask you some questions.

Did you have an extension with your Hawg and also did you have it between the legs?

How would you describe the centre position and the immediate area around the centre, does the mongoose base allow an easy movement from centre to any position no matter how small? No sticking.
The Cams should be perfect at purchase, but roughness of the cams I can polishif need be. Indeed, if a system is capable of transmitting poor finishing quality between differentcams then for sure the bearing and design is right but I guess thismay also vary.

I am only interested in the sweetness and ease of movement in and around thecentre of the base unit’s movement as these are critical choppercontrol areas when hovering and dealing with the DCS Helicopter trim modelduring all flight phases.

What are the new light springs and cams like?

My apologies for the post script and cap size variation, I generally seem to be having problems writing in DCS forums and have to re edit 2 or 3 times. no where else.... just here.

Last edited by Rogue Trooper; 10-21-2017 at 05:06 AM.
Rogue Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #1475
dburne
Veteran

Reputation power: 23
dburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Trooper View Post
Hey dburne,

Now that you have some experience with your new kit and especially since you used the warthog, I need to ask you some questions.

Did you have an extension with your Hawg and also did you have it between the legs?

How would you describe the centre position and the immediate area around the centre, does the mongoose base allow an easy movement from centre to any position no matter how small? No sticking.
The Cams should be perfect at purchase, but roughness of the cams I can polishif need be. Indeed, if a system is capable of transmitting poor finishing quality between differentcams then for sure the bearing and design is right but I guess thismay also vary.

I am only interested in the sweetness and ease of movement in and around thecentre of the base unit’s movement as these are critical choppercontrol areas when hovering and dealing with the DCS Helicopter trim modelduring all flight phases.

What are the new light springs and cams like?

My apologies for the post script and cap size variation, I generally seem to be having problems writing in DCS forums and have to re edit 2 or 3 times. no where else.... just here.

Yes I was running the Warthog with a 7.5 cm extension by Sajah mounted on a Monster Tech mount between my legs.

I had the soft center cams installed with this base, the movement around center is indeed very soft. I can easily move the stick around center with my pinky finger, very easy and very smooth. I did adjust the tension of the springs with the screw adjustments on top of the base ( nice feature) to get the tension around center about where I like it and equal in pitch and roll. So that can be fine tuned a little.

I also had the soft springs installed, and I really like the feel of them. The tension does increase as I move out toward the edges which I find nice as well.

Sticktion - there is absolutely 0 of that, which is probably one of the largest differences between it and the Warthog. The extension on my Warthog stick definitely helped it in that department, but once I got this stick it was so apparent the difference in having no sticktion at all - and it is quite nice.
The big difference for me was lining up my shots on an enemy craft, so much better for me - with the Warthog I would often kind of jump up and down when shooting - which of course through my ammo off the target. Much easier to keep it on target now.

Good to know you would be comfortable working with the cams, hopefully after getting all the reports of cam roughness they have tightened up on that and it won't be necessary.
My original gimbal had the hard center cams and medium springs installed, I like the soft center and soft springs so much better. But this also is more of a personal preference thing.

The only thing I have not done yet is fly the KA-50 with this stick, going to have to get in there and assign my buttons and give that a try soon as well. I am sure I am going to really be pleased with it in the KA-50.

Hope this helps,

EVGA X79 Dark MB|4820K @ 4.50 Ghz|16gb Corsair Platinum 2133 Mhz| EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite |VPC Mongoose |Warthog Throttle|MFG Crosswind Pedals|Oculus Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit

Last edited by dburne; 10-21-2017 at 12:50 PM.
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:06 PM   #1476
=Buckeye=

Reputation power: 9
=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice
Default Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50

Dburne - great thoughts, one follow up question. What length extension are you using now?

If I go the VPC route I'm going to stick with my 15cm from Sahaj, wonder what spring set up I'd need to support that (especially with a heavy Warthog stick on top).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit:
Oculus Rift CV1 | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog HOTAS + 15cm Black Extension w/ Red Spring by Sahaj | Dell 34" Curved UW 3440x1440 | ASUS ROG Strix Gaming OC 1080Ti | i7-4790K @ 4.7ghz | Corsair H105 | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB | (x2) Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB | Corsair 750D | EVGA G2 850 SuperNOVA | Philips Fidelio X1

Soon™:
Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper (ordered) + Upgraded HOTAS (waiting for throttle releases) + JetSeat SE
=Buckeye= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:18 PM   #1477
dburne
Veteran

dburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Dburne - great thoughts, one follow up question. What length extension are you using now?

If I go the VPC route I'm going to stick with my 15cm from Sahaj, wonder what spring set up I'd need to support that (especially with a heavy Warthog stick on top).

I am using the extension kit from Virpil, and have experimented with different lengths.
I settled on same as you, I am using 150mm extension for my T-50. I have the desk mount bracket set in it's lowest position. The really nice thing about the Virpil desk mount bracket and varying extension length possibilities one has many options to set it up for personal preference.

I am not sure how much different the Warthog grip might affect it. I would think maybe some, but not enough to make too big a difference. Keep in mind too you can tighten up on the tension of the springs with the adjustment screws on top of the base, just if you go too far you may lose some travel at the extremes. I had thought about using it myself, but have come to like the Virpil grip myself - especially having that axis on the brake ( paddle ) lever which is really nice.

EVGA X79 Dark MB|4820K @ 4.50 Ghz|16gb Corsair Platinum 2133 Mhz| EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite |VPC Mongoose |Warthog Throttle|MFG Crosswind Pedals|Oculus Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit

Last edited by dburne; 10-21-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #1478
=Buckeye=

Reputation power: 9
=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice

Appreciate the response. Sounds like the spring tension could definitely be tighten to support whatever, if any, additional stress the Warthog grip placed on it.

Now we wait to gain comfort from seeing consistent reports that cams are showing up in the condition they should be

VR Cockpit:
Oculus Rift CV1 | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog HOTAS + 15cm Black Extension w/ Red Spring by Sahaj | Dell 34" Curved UW 3440x1440 | ASUS ROG Strix Gaming OC 1080Ti | i7-4790K @ 4.7ghz | Corsair H105 | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB | (x2) Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB | Corsair 750D | EVGA G2 850 SuperNOVA | Philips Fidelio X1

Soon™:
Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper (ordered) + Upgraded HOTAS (waiting for throttle releases) + JetSeat SE
=Buckeye= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:59 PM   #1479
Vladinsky

Reputation power: 4
Vladinsky has a spectacular aura aboutVladinsky has a spectacular aura aboutVladinsky has a spectacular aura aboutVladinsky has a spectacular aura about

Even the light spring was enough to center the stick with the warthog grip, soft center cam and a 20cm extension when I tried it, it was pretty damn loose though. Lately I've been using the strong springs, soft center and 20cm for fixed wing and it still flows very easily through the middle with either grip. There's a smooth onset of force as you leave the middle but with the strong springs it increases rapidly with deflection.

For helicopters I use the light spring tightened just to the point where the bearing touches the cam, forces are extremely light, almost doesn't feel like there's a spring at all when I fly. It does still mostly recenter if you let go although it's less inclined to go all the way with the warthog grip.
Vladinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #1480
dburne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Appreciate the response. Sounds like the spring tension could definitely be tighten to support whatever, if any, additional stress the Warthog grip placed on it.

Now we wait to gain comfort from seeing consistent reports that cams are showing up in the condition they should be

I sure hope that is the case going forward. Whilst I am thoroughly enjoying my stick and would not want to fly without it, I was so disappointed to see it arrive with rough cams installed after all this time when the issue had been already brought up on a few occasions. My other cams look great, but I wanted the soft center and they kindly installed them for me.

Now granted I don't really notice it whilst flying with gentle movements, but moving the stick around when not flying it is very obvious in both feel and sound. Just a slightly annoying thing that my first gimbal did not have, it was smooth as could be. I hope it does not affect the gimbal long term.

Also in this gimbal I hear that "clanking" sound on both sides of the roll axis. Don't feel it just hear it, and of course only when moving it while not flying. Not sure what that is, do others have this? I don't recall my first gimbal having that but not sure.

I am though very happy with this stick and already have many hours logged into flying with it.
I will say, if this gimbal ( cam )had the same exact smoothness of the first one it would be pure flight stick heaven.

Last edited by dburne; 10-21-2017 at 05:56 PM.

Tags
mongoost-50, virpil, virpil controls, vpc