Thinking about opening my 'Hog up to fix the stiction - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-28-2017, 03:31 PM   #1
Failed Creation

Reputation power: 0
Failed Creation is on a distinguished road
Default Thinking about opening my 'Hog up to fix the stiction

She's virtually brand new, and has loosened up a little since I got her, but sticky as hell on the pitch and a little sticky on the roll. I'm considering the 1/4" or 5/16" drill bit end in the peg holes solution as well as a scrape and sand of the gimbals if needed. I have a fresh unopened tube of Nyogel 767a I got just for this reason (and for my t16k throttle). Is there any more recent or better fixes for the 'Hog stiction?
Failed Creation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:12 AM   #2
Sokol1_br

Reputation power: 30
Sokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br

Quote:
Is there any more recent or better fixes for the 'Hog stiction?
Well, buy Baur, VKP or VirPil bases for that grip.
Sokol1_br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:39 AM   #3
Failed Creation

Don't tempt me! I'd heard about them before I got my 'Hog, but didn't really look into them... maybe should have gone with one of them.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:45 AM   #4
smallberries

Reputation power: 1
smallberries will become famous soon enoughsmallberries will become famous soon enoughsmallberries will become famous soon enough

I did the sanding thing and tried spring modding a bit before getting a VKB base. Unfortunately, I don't think VKB is selling the standalone base anymore, fwiw. The sanding definitely helped, but in spite of all my care I did cut the insulation on one of the wires putting it back together. Be warned. But, yes, the VKB base is smoother still.

An extension might help too, although the weight of the grip and leverage of the extension may mean you end up wanting more stiffness of the springs if you want to keep any centering tendency (I'm looking at you, helo trimming).
smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:18 PM   #5
Failed Creation

Wow! Just Wow... The difference is incredible. Gone is the stiction. Didn't really use the drill bits as the 15/64 was a fraction too small and the 1/4 was too tight. BUT I did notice that the pegs had some fairly severe faults in the cast which I fixed by trimming them with a knife and there were cast lines *inside* the holes where the pegs are supposed allow the inner gimbal to move freely... Except now it makes a sticky, squelchy noise when I move it 'cos that Nyogel is so sticky and thick

Last edited by Failed Creation; 01-03-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:48 PM   #6
Livers

Reputation power: 3
Livers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Creation View Post
Except now it makes a sticky, squelchy noise when I move it 'cos that Nyogel is so sticky and thick
How much of that tube did you use?

Dell T5500, X5560 cpu, 48GB DDR3, Zotac GTX 980, Windows 10 Pro. TMWH throttle & stick. Alienware AW3418DW monitor. TrackIR 5 with UTC MkII Pro clip. VKB Mk. III rudder pedals.
Livers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:07 PM   #7
Failed Creation

I used bugger all, it's a 100g tube... but enough to cover the surfaces that had grease on them when I opened it sufficiently. Certainly less than some of the YouTube videos I've seen where they get as much grease a possible in there.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:17 PM   #8
Thadiun Okona

Reputation power: 2
Thadiun Okona is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livers View Post
How much of that tube did you use?

It takes ~3-5g of Nyogel to grease up a Warthog, and should't make any noise when done. 10g tubes can be procured from Oveready https://www.oveready.com/flashlight/...ease-10g-tube/

I bought a 50g tube a few years ago and have greased a lot of things with it and sent several folks small amounts to grease their Warthogs with and still have a bunch left in my tube.
Thadiun Okona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:55 PM   #9
Livers

Reputation power: 3
Livers is on a distinguished road

Thanks, guys. I asked because I used about a third of my 10g tube and it seemed plenty. It works great for me.

Dell T5500, X5560 cpu, 48GB DDR3, Zotac GTX 980, Windows 10 Pro. TMWH throttle & stick. Alienware AW3418DW monitor. TrackIR 5 with UTC MkII Pro clip. VKB Mk. III rudder pedals.
Livers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:09 AM   #10
Failed Creation

So I opened it up again and found that the noise was coming from the outer gimbal/O-ring interaction as I moved the stick around. A touch too much grease. Wiped a smidgen off and no more noise as I moved it around.

I was also having problems getting into the corners without excessive force since I put it back together, and after rotating the spring and messing around without the black casing on to figure out why for a while (because despite how many people seem to have the problem, mine did fine before I took it apart,) I noticed that I could get into the corners fine when both the ends of the coil were off to the left (didn't test off to the right) AND the end of the wire the coil is made from had popped out a little so it was on the 'outside' of the coil.

Getting this to happen with the black case on was tricky, as before it had happened while rotating the coil with a screwdriver while it was compressed by the top, so I tried something a little drastic and just twisted the end at the top outwards till it stuck there and experimented a little before achieving success.

Now I can get into the corners no problem! I don't know if this means anything to anyone, but that 'lump' you feel as you move in a circle where it wont go into the corner was putting me off some.