New cpu vs older overclocked cpu

Do the newer cpus really make a difference in game FPS? I’ve got an older I5 3570k overclocked to 4.5 GHz. Is that gonna run dcs slower than a newer processor at 4.5 GHz? If so, why? And no I’m not new to computer specs- I’m just wondering about the real world difference in the newer stuff as I last built a computer around 5 years ago

I read about people with new systems getting under 30 FPS while I’m running an older cpu and gtx770 with 40 and above FPS in almost any scenario expect with extreme amounts of AI units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering how DCS works and is really only using 1 core for everything (except sound) I believe that 4.5 Ghz from your OLD CPU will provide pretty much the same performance as 4.5 Ghz with a newer one..

Even if a newer CPU had some new features to make it faster ED isn't a huge coding company like EA or something similar so they would not be utilizing whatever new features are available anyway.. (Look how long DCS used DX 9)

I have seen where folks have overclocked a Celeron processor and compared with brand new chips, if the Ghz were the same the old dinosaur provided the same stats as the spanking new chips do.. (with single core games being tested)

In a nutshell, if you are truly getting 4.5 Ghz with an older CPU I wouldn't look at a newer one if DCS is all you are concerned about...

Now if you also do things such as video editing and such now that is a totally different kettle of fish and would require a different conversation...

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

But do you feel that difference would be worth upgrading your system for it?

I feel that it depends on exactly how old is your current motherboard ..

.. I've just upgraded from a 2nd generation Core i7 to an AMD Ryzen and besides the pure processor performance, the new system uses faster ddr4 ram (vs ddr3 on the old one), has sata-3 hard drive ports rather than sata-2, which improves the performance of my ssd's by over 20% and has usb-3 rather than usb-2 which are 5 times faster with an external drive or pendrive.

So, you do get a lot more on the system upgrade ... and besides, you cant expect the current jig to run forever, you will have to update at some point.

However, cost wise I believe that a GPU upgrade is more effective than a processor upgrade.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks for the replies! It’s pretty much what I figured. I’ve already got SATA 6Gb and usb 3, my ram is only ddr3, but it’s fairly fast. When I do upgrade unfortunately it will require motherboard and all, but that’s pretty standard for intel. Oh- it’s an ASUS p8z77-v which has done well and was reasonably cheap at the time.

Thanks for the replies! It’s pretty much what I figured. I’ve already got SATA 6Gb and usb 3, my ram is only ddr3, but it’s fairly fast. When I do upgrade unfortunately it will require motherboard and all, but that’s pretty standard for intel.

Then its probably best to use the upgrade budget towards a better graphics card, the gtx770 was plenty fast on its time, but a used gtx970 is almost 50% faster, and if your budget allows, a gtx1070 would be 20% faster (over the 970).

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Keep the CPU and save the bucks !

There is nothing much to gain from where you come from, maybe 5% for many many bucks !

Maybe a new GPU, that will for sure help with DCS2

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Going now from the 3rd series to the 8th it will worth all the money. Besides the higher clock of CPU itself there is also an important advance on the motherboard technology, so that there are multiple overall imporvments.

Just go for the 8th series!

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Do the newer cpus really make a difference in game FPS? I’ve got an older I5 3570k overclocked to 4.5 GHz. Is that gonna run dcs slower than a newer processor at 4.5 GHz? If so, why? And no I’m not new to computer specs- I’m just wondering about the real world difference in the newer stuff as I last built a computer around 5 years ago

I read about people with new systems getting under 30 FPS while I’m running an older cpu and gtx770 with 40 and above FPS in almost any scenario expect with extreme amounts of AI units.

Before you decide to throw a wad of cash on a whole new mob/cpu/ram combo I would first try replacing your old GTX770. Swap it for a GTX1070 and see how that runs. You already have your CPU overclocked to a good speed.

If the change in GPU does not obtain the frames you were after then by all means replace your mobo/CPU.

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

Before you decide to throw a wad of cash on a whole new mob/cpu/ram combo I would first try replacing your old GTX770. Swap it for a GTX1070 and see how that runs. You already have your CPU overclocked to a good speed.

If the change in GPU does not obtain the frames you were after then by all means replace your mobo/CPU.

Not looking for any particular frame rate, just planning out for my next upgrades - could be a year or more. My computer is one hobby of many so I put less cash towards it than I otherwise could. The gtx770 was a Kijiji special and I only bought it because the ati6850 I had didn’t have enough video memory to run multiplayer with lots of units. I’ll look to a 1070 or 1080 when they become a generation old as I’m not into spending $500 on a GPU. Not yet at any rate.

Maybe if I was to get VR it would make more sense to spend that much