Thanks ED! What a fantastic experience

BuzZoo

Sorry, bit of a blog post:

I've always been in love with the spitfire and decided to get back into simming a month ago. Grabbed a Thrusmaster HOTAS 4 and rudder pedals and have already done many take offs and ~150 landings.

The next step was to get Normandy/WW2 assets/Operation Epsom. Strafing was a new skill for me, and I ate the trees a couple of times on my first couple of attempts.

Decided to concentrate, be conservative and focus and do it properly today. Just managed to get back from the first mission of Operation Epsom with all 4 of my wing intact. I checked and got 27 hits on supply trucks (and definitely heard myself get hit by a couple of rounds of ground fire on 1 strafing run). Between us we got 9 kills on trucks. It was such a rush turning north towards the end, realizing how much flak was in front, and successfully turning/diving/avoiding at high speed with everyone intact.

The landing wasn't perfect but I managed to get it under control without bouncing or scraping a wing.

Can't wait for the other 11 missions. It felt so good letting the merlin cool down and shutting it off.

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite is landings in a spitfire. It is so satisfying tol 3 point land it, i love it.

One of those modules which is fun to fly even outside of combat or pvp. Like a mi8. I think that it is an indication of how (perhaps?) realistic it is. But its my experience and i have a longer stick.

Edited by Kyso4ek
  • Like 1

My favourite is landings in a spitfire. It is so satisfying tol 3 point land it, i love it.

One of those modules which is fun to fly even outside of combat or pvp. Like a mi8. I think that it is an indication of how (perhaps?) realistic it is. But its my experience and i have a longer stick.

Agreed. I've spent roughly 90% of my time just practicing the landings. It feels so good when you really nail a 3 pointer but I still get the occasional ugly bouncy one.

• Like 1

...get back into simming a month ago. Grabbed a Thrusmaster HOTAS 4 and rudder pedals and have already done many take offs and ~150 landings.

Congratulations for the progress in this short time - specially using this "El Cheapo" HOTAS, many people with "high end" (dollars) controls still not able to do the same. :)

Congratulations for the progress in this short time - specially using this "El Cheapo" HOTAS, many people with "high end" (dollars) controls still not able to do the same. :)

Thanks! If you saw all my landings you might not be so impressed :)

I'm really tempted by the warthog HOTAS but I just dropped a fair bit of money on a trackir. It looks so sexy though, and now I've just grabbed the f5e module I'm suddenly very short of buttons...

I'm not in a rush though. I'm only a third of the way through the f5e manual and have heaps I still want to do with the spit before I really dive into the 70s.

Relatively new to DCS, having started from another ww2 flight sim game.

I have to say graphically this Spitfire is one of the best, especially the cockpit in VR... Just incredible!!

Looking forward to trying out some missions with this one once I get the controls fine tuned to match the unique ability of the plane.

One thing I have noticed is the engine sound doesn't seem to match the revs.. Just seems to get quieter at low revs instead of changing pitch? It'd be great if this was given more of a growl.

Otherwise fantastic job

• Like 1

Intel Core i3 8350K 4GHz, MSI RTX 2080 Super, AS Rock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard, Samsung SSD, 32G DDR4 RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit

Rift-S, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, EDtracker, Track IR.

Nothing compares to the satisfaction of flying a DCS module effectively. It takes some time and effort to get there, but doing wheeler landings in the Spitfire, with everything within limits at the end of a long sortie is really the icing on the cake.

Now, bring on the F/A-18C and a fully featured aircraft carrier...