F16C and VR

Steph21

No, a 2080ti for that ridiculous price is not worth it. Especially since you'll only get a 30% max performance increase for almost twice the price. Again, ridiculous.

Remember, NVidia does not have any real competitor on the high-end market, nor was the RTX family designed for performance. It was designed primarily for raytracing on the hardware side of things. Almost no game is using that, and won't be using it in the near future. Even so, since the release of those RTX cards, it's also possible to utilize raytracing using software techniques. So in reality the RTX family is more or less obsolete.

I get people will tell you they're experiencing a performance increase, and maybe they are. But people are also emotional beings who want to justify things. It's hard saying something that expensive was a waste of money when they've already bought it.

I say; buy a 1080ti or wait till next year, when the next iteration is released. Whatever that may be.

Those are fair points. Any additional thoughts/opinions from others?

Looking at benchmarks in VR and pancake games, it seems like a fairly large jump from a regular gtx 1080. So, I guess that is part of what is enticing me.

But I do also acknowledge the fact that there may be a newer generation in a year or so. Frustrating. Hahaha :P

Live every week like it's Shark Week. :D

Those are fair points. Any additional thoughts/opinions from others?

Looking at benchmarks in VR and pancake games, it seems like a fairly large jump from a regular gtx 1080. So, I guess that is part of what is enticing me.

But I do also acknowledge the fact that there may be a newer generation in a year or so. Frustrating. Hahaha :P

Yes well, benchmarking with DCS? I've never seen it. Still, benchmarking only gives an indication, if it was a consistent predictable test you would never read about performance quirks on forums, simply because the benchmark would tell you what you'd get regarding performance. Also it doesn't take into account the amount of optimization of the software used.

Besides that, a maximum of 30% increase for twice the price. I don't see how that ever would be justifiable. Like I said, people are emotional, not rational (in fact, that's what advertising is all about, playing into your emotions).

But hey, it's your money. ;)

Edited by dawgie79

Yes well, benchmarking with DCS? I've never seen it. Still, benchmarking only gives an indication, if it was a consistent predictable test you would never read about performance quirks on forums, simply because the benchmark would tell you what you'd get regarding performance. Also it doesn't take into account the amount of optimilization of the software used.

Besides that, a maximum of 30% increase for twice the price. I don't see how that ever would be justifiable. Like I said, people are emotional, not rational (in fact, that's what advertising is all about, playing into your emotions).

But hey, it's your money. ;)

Very true. I'll probably end up waiting. I was just a little disappointed when I went to practice a case 1 landing and things started to drop in frames (high 20s to mid 30s) whenever I would look at the carrier. (In VR)

I don't want to turn the dpi down too much because then things get hard to read. And I am already turning down quite a few things in the game settings.

Moreover, SteamVR has shrunk my resolution to 83%. So, even outside of DCS, I'm not getting the most out of my Index. And for flat games, I wouldn't mind getting over 100 fps on my 1440p monitor to take advantage of that screen, too.

Overall, I think I'm just hitting a fidelity vs. fps wall (to a noticable point) finally on my GTX 1080.

I could go to an RTX 2080 or a 2080 super. But then I'm already spending money and wasn't sure if I should just push it to the next level.

But I'll have to do more research, I think. Thank you for your input, though! I appreciate it greatly!

Live every week like it's Shark Week. :D

Very true. I'll probably end up waiting. I was just a little disappointed when I went to practice a case 1 landing and things started to drop in frames (high 20s to mid 30s) whenever I would look at the carrier. (In VR)

I don't want to turn the dpi down too much because then things get hard to read. And I am already turning down quite a few things in the game settings.

Moreover, SteamVR has shrunk my resolution to 83%. So, even outside of DCS, I'm not getting the most out of my Index. And for flat games, I wouldn't mind getting over 100 fps on my 1440p monitor to take advantage of that screen, too.

Overall, I think I'm just hitting a fidelity vs. fps wall (to a noticable point) finally on my GTX 1080.

I could go to an RTX 2080 or a 2080 super. But then I'm already spending money and wasn't sure if I should just push it to the next level.

But I'll have to do more research, I think. Thank you for your input, though! I appreciate it greatly!

Well, a Valve Index can be a bit much in combination with DCS and a 1080.

But if I were in your situation I would rather see if I could get a 1080ti second hand for the time being, and then upgrade to the new iterations next year. The 1080ti is on par with the 2080 but second hand could reduce costs of course, and I expect it would run fine with your Index.

Or maybe if there's a reseller who still has a 1080ti in stock, bargain a bit. Most resellers wouldn't want to sit on old stock for long periods of time. Plus, a bit of assertiveness (when bargaining) can never hurt of course. ;)

In any case, glad I could be of help. Good luck with whatever descision you make. :)