F16C and VR

Steph21

The Reverb does look awesome but I'm not sure I have the rig capable of pushing that many pixels in VR tbh.

I was unfortunate enough to have my house hit by lightening a few months ago. Fortunately I have an awesome insurance agent who took care of things including funds for a new rig. Thats the only reason I can drive the reverb and decent rates and settings.

I think with continued support through WMR, Steam, and ED things are going to get better across the board for all VR users..

IMHO, The F-16C in VR is Awesome due to the bubble canopy.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Going from a CV-1 to the reverb is complete game changer. The ability to read instruments without zooming, to be able to spot aircraft and actually see them. I can't describe it other then it feels like you are looking at a 3d 4k monitor in each eye.

Yup, just upgraded and its amazing. The only issues for me are the edge blur and chromatic abberation, but everything else is great.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The Reverb does look awesome but I'm not sure I have the rig capable of pushing that many pixels in VR tbh.

So I was very surprised that when I switched from my CV1 to my Reverb it just worked . I was running 1.8PD on the CV1 and the reverb worked like that without issue. I've since gone to PD1.0 and used steamVR to do my Super sampling, and I'm running 180% (probably like 1.4PD) I don't see your specs but if its a 1080 or 2080 I'd say go for it.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Anyone know if ED plan to include a pilot body in the initial EA release?

They did for the Hornet and it looks superb. I think for VR it really completes the immersion in a VR cockpit if it is there.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Agreed. The VR pilots are really nice.

I do hope so. I thought it was becoming the standard for all modules to have it included but developers seem to be putting it on the backburner. The hornet looks and runs fantastic with it. But I’m surprised nothing has been mentioned about the recent Fw190 a8 not having it. It surely has to be a must for the F16 and VR.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Or even going backwardrs - the Mirage used to have a pilot body - not any more.

I hope the Viper comes with one. I know HB were saying the F-14 pilot is WIP due to the pilot animations etc.

TBH I just hope the Viper pit is modelled to the correct scale, which will enable the use of a pilot body - as I think this has more to do with it sometimes. Pretty easy to see the pit isn't to scale when you try to put a proper scale pilot body in there.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So what's the best VR headset right now to buy?

i7-8700K (6 Core, 12MB Cache, 4.6GHz) 32 GB DDR4 XMP @ 2933MHz, GTX 1080Ti w/ 11GB GDDR5X, Windows 10 Pro, 256GB SSD, TM Warthog Stick & Throttle, TM TPR Pedals, TrackIR5

So what's the best VR headset right now to buy?

Reverb is fantastic in DCS. It does have some early teeting issues tho.

Or even going backwardrs - the Mirage used to have a pilot body - not any more.

I hope the Viper comes with one. I know HB were saying the F-14 pilot is WIP due to the pilot animations etc.

TBH I just hope the Viper pit is modelled to the correct scale, which will enable the use of a pilot body - as I think this has more to do with it sometimes. Pretty easy to see the pit isn't to scale when you try to put a proper scale pilot body in there.

Yes I don’t get the Mirage situation, I was completely happy with the VR pilot and thought it looked great didn’t see the need to re-do it. But fair enough if that’s what they want to do but why not keep the old one until the new one is ready.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Yes I don’t get the Mirage situation, I was completely happy with the VR pilot and thought it looked great didn’t see the need to re-do it. But fair enough if that’s what they want to do but why not keep the old one until the new one is ready.

Not much that Razbam does makes a ton of sense to me. But yeah this one is a real mystery, maybe performance related?

And yeah I really think having the VR pilots adds alot to the VR experience.

My Oculus does not look good at all in DCS, everyone else says how great it is.

I think people mainly raved about the immersion of Gen1 headsets like the CV1. Not so much about visual quality, which everyone complained about. Gen2 headsets like the reverb are dramatically better.

My Oculus does not look good at all in DCS, everyone else says how great it is.

Yeah I don't think people were clamouring to say how 'good' DCS looked in the Oculus headset - it was more the experience of flying inside the virtual DCS environment in a 1:1 scale aircraft etc. that was pretty cool.

Even now in the Rift S, while the cockpit graphics are "sharper and better" - the overall experience visually is still pretty average compared to a monitor....but we are getting there - slowly.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Even now in the Rift S, while the cockpit graphics are "sharper and better" - the overall experience visually is still pretty average compared to a monitor....but we are getting there - slowly.

Honestly the reverb is pretty close to a 1080p monitor visuals wise, at least the center clarity is. Everything is pretty readable, spotting is "ok" and so forth. Its a vast improvement to the rift CV1. Can't really say compared to the S since I don't have one.

I loved my CV1 and was hard pressed to give it up. It took a lot of tweaking but almost everything in the cockpit was readable. Only reason I went to the S was to free up USB space and the increase in resolution was worth it, right out of the box.

The F-16 cockpit (P3D) is weird and amazing at the same time after being in a harrier for 50+ hours. I'm glad the F-16 has is one of the later modules, being that ED is designing with V/R in mind and it's my fav!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 4790K / EVGA 1080ti SC / 32GB DDR3 / 1TB SSD / Oculus Rift S / X-56 / MFG Crosswind V2 / ButtKicker + Simshaker for Aviators

Honestly the reverb is pretty close to a 1080p monitor visuals wise, at least the center clarity is. Everything is pretty readable, spotting is "ok" and so forth. Its a vast improvement to the rift CV1. Can't really say compared to the S since I don't have one.

Yeah I am definitely keeping my eye on the Reverb, as the cost isn't an issue...but all the problems and faffing is!

Oculus is just so easy, and I also enjoy a few other Oculus titles in VR as well which makes it an easy choice. But that 'monitor-level' resolution of the Reverb is very tempting.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah I am definitely keeping my eye on the Reverb, as the cost isn't an issue...but all the problems and faffing is!

Oculus is just so easy, and I also enjoy a few other Oculus titles in VR as well which makes it an easy choice. But that 'monitor-level' resolution of the Reverb is very tempting.

There isnt much faffing, as you so quaintly and colonially put it. Its easier in alot of ways than occulus.

• 2 weeks later...

So, those who have made the jump to RTX 2080ti, I'm wondering if I should be doing the same and if the upgrade would be worth it, specifically for VR.

Current machine:

i7 6700K OC to 4.4

32GB RAM at 3000

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming edition

Valve Index HMD

I can't seem to pass 40 fps in DCS F/A-18C and I have to drop a lot of settings to keep it stable at even 40 fps.

Is it just DCS World right now or would I notice better and more stable frames with the GPU upgrade?

Outside of VR, I also play games on a 1440p monitor with a 144hz (up to 165hz) refresh rate.

Thoughts?

Live every week like it's Shark Week. :D

So, those who have made the jump to RTX 2080ti, I'm wondering if I should be doing the same and if the upgrade would be worth it, specifically for VR.

Current machine:

i7 6700K OC to 4.4

32GB RAM at 3000

Valve Index HMD

I can't seem to pass 40 fps in DCS F/A-18C and I have to drop a lot of settings to keep it stable at even 40 fps.

Is it just DCS World right now or would I notice better and more stable frames with the GPU upgrade?

Outside of VR, I also play games on a 1440p monitor with a 144hz (up to 165hz) refresh rate.

Thoughts?

For me the card jump was worth it. Going from a 1080ti to a 2080ti FTW3 was a noticeable change. Even in the CV1 rift. Now then I think each of us has our own "is it worth it" price. yes you will 100% see an improvement. Is it worth that cost to you? That's the bigger question that only you can answer..

Current machine:

i7 6700K OC to 4.4

32GB RAM at 3000

Valve Index HMD

Thoughts?

No, a 2080ti for that ridiculous price is not worth it. Especially since you'll only get a 30% max performance increase for almost twice the price. Again, ridiculous.

Remember, NVidia does not have any real competitor on the high-end market, nor was the RTX family designed for performance. It was designed primarily for raytracing on the hardware side of things. Almost no game is using that, and won't be using it in the near future. Even so, since the release of those RTX cards, it's also possible to utilize raytracing using software techniques. So in reality the RTX family is more or less obsolete.

I get people will tell you they're experiencing a performance increase, and maybe they are. But people are also emotional beings who want to justify things. It's hard saying something that expensive was a waste of money when they've already bought it.

I say; buy a 1080ti or wait till next year, when the next iteration is released. Whatever that may be.

Edited by dawgie79