Any way to make a FLIR mod for Ka-50?

3WA

So, basically, is there any way to make a mod that would turn the Shkval day scope into a FLIR? Nothing fancy needed, maybe a keyboard switch to turn back and forth. But just basically take the FLIR from something like A-10C or any other FLIR capable scope, and stick it into the Ka-50 shkval.

Then we can fly at Night! I get SOOOOO sick of day missions only.

The heli has to go hide at night, because EVERYTHING else can see in the dark!

Thanks.

So, basically, is there any way to make a mod that would turn the Shkval day scope into a FLIR? Nothing fancy needed, maybe a keyboard switch to turn back and forth. But just basically take the FLIR from something like A-10C or any other FLIR capable scope, and stick it into the Ka-50 shkval.

Then we can fly at Night! I get SOOOOO sick of day missions only.

The heli has to go hide at night, because EVERYTHING else can see in the dark!

Thanks.

Sharks "sleeps" at night.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

"In the Jungle, the quiet Jungle, the Shark sleeps tonight ♪ ♫ ♪ ♪"

And EVERY night.

Thinking about just taking a hand held FLIR scope and duct taping it to the camera lens on the Shkval.

Edited by 3WA

Although it's not great, I can get a decent picture by adjusting IT-23 contrast and brightness. As you see in the first picture it's a pitch black night (new moon) but you see the Tank on the screen.

It's easier if you have a second monitor for sensor export (pic 2). You can't lock targets but still destroy them (pic 3).

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

I noticed that I still had a mod installed, so let's try again without it:

still not great on the original screen but decent on a second monitor as export.

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

"In the Jungle, the quiet Jungle, the Shark sleeps tonight ♪ ♫ ♪ ♪"

And EVERY night.

Thinking about just taking a hand held FLIR scope and duct taping it to the camera lens on the Shkval.

Yeah, thats not how thermal works... Unless that lens is made from germanium, which its not.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Thanks Ams999! I'll see what I can do with that. Too bad you can't lock, which is really the whole problem.

EDIT: Yeah, you can't lock. So, it's only good for targets that are standing still. If I try to continuously range, it will reset the laser cone every time, and missile will lose track.

EDIT2: Well, now I'm trying to figure out exactly how the EO works, and if after I nail the target with ranging laser, will the EO keep guessing the changing range?

Edited by 3WA

Ho you do that?

Behind the cyclic there is the adjustment knobs for the TV and HMD.

It is a cheat based limitation of the DCS capability render extra camera, but still a cheating (using game limitation against it self).

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Ka-50 is so bad, it can barely get a lock in the EVENING. It really needs either LLTV (Starlight) or FLIR, and MUCH better EO / Contrast detection.

When you've got an Apache coming at you at 6km, and you can't get a lock on it, YOU'RE IN TROUBLE! He's probably already launched a Hellfire at you!

Right now, I only fly at Noon. That is about the only time I can get decent lock at range. I'm sure that this is probably realistic, and the problem is the day scope EO on the Shkval just SUCKS! It needs a better EO system, like GOES-451 on the Ka-52, which also includes FLIR. Would love to fly this chopper at night, where all modern choppers have a stealth advantage.

It is a cheat based limitation of the DCS capability render extra camera, but still a cheating (using game limitation against it self).

Exactly, it's a cheat, and not real.

Edited by 3WA
  • Like 1

I've done quite a few night missions in the Shark...

I'm more careful.

I'm not useless.

WTF?

Has ANYONE else tried holding down the target lock button until vikhr impact? You don't need a lock. Yes, you need to cool the laser after a long shot done in this way... but it works. Also... If you put your mind to it... this also offers a significant advantage to those who get good at it ;)...

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

If you got the chance to work with a teammate, the shark is interesting at night with your wingman shooting illumination rockets over the target. This way you should be able to lock it.

If you are about 6km and not too high you can do all by yourself. Shot illumination rockets in a nose up pitch will not let you lose the target lock unless you are too high.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]