X-56 for Hornet

rking1304

Hi - Im knew to having a legit HOTAS and just received my X-56. I am trying to map it the best I can within DCS and there are a few quirks I am trying to work out like using the slide button on the throttle for speed breaks (button 33 - it wont retract the speed breaks when sliding the button back)

My main questions are (1) how do we use the ministicks - they are not being recognized in DCS adjusting controls for standard or axis assignment modalities. Id like to use one of them (thumb on the stick I suppose?) to slew the radar, etc - looks like the hornet and A10 mapping has that as one of the center controls atop the stick - regardless, I am hoping to be able to get the ministicks working. I am going to get a powered 3.0 USB port today to see if that helps, sounds like that can be an issue.

also - Does anyone already have a saved program for the X-56 with a map of what buttons do what. I am getting pretty close but it just feels like I am not putting the best options together and there has to be a better way to get these to jive - if anyone has a saved program that they would share I would be most appreciative - Im assuming theres a folder I can drop a .lua file in if so -

(Thanks for any help, newbie here to the HOTAS so any help appreciated)

Hi - Im knew to having a legit HOTAS and just received my X-56. I am trying to map it the best I can within DCS and there are a few quirks I am trying to work out like using the slide button on the throttle for speed breaks (button 33 - it wont retract the speed breaks when sliding the button back)

I also use the SLD. You need to assign retract to the second SLD position.

My main questions are (1) how do we use the ministicks - they are not being recognized in DCS adjusting controls for standard or axis assignment modalities. Id like to use one of them (thumb on the stick I suppose?) to slew the radar, etc - looks like the hornet and A10 mapping has that as one of the center controls atop the stick - regardless, I am hoping to be able to get the ministicks working. I am going to get a powered 3.0 USB port today to see if that helps, sounds like that can be an issue.

Create for the 2 mini sticks 4 way buttons with dead zones to eliminate accidental axis trigger...it's very affective.

also - Does anyone already have a saved program for the X-56 with a map of what buttons do what. I am getting pretty close but it just feels like I am not putting the best options together and there has to be a better way to get these to jive - if anyone has a saved program that they would share I would be most appreciative - Im assuming theres a folder I can drop a .lua file in if so -

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Logitech is where you put the .pr0 key map files.

I use 1 of the mini sticks for modifiers which allows the stick to accommodate all needed commands. I have a file that I created but would be very confusing for you as I don't have the mapping written out.

(Thanks for any help, newbie here to the HOTAS so any help appreciated)

See above in blue.

Edited by fitness88

• 1 year later...

Fellow newbie to newbie... I too have an X56 and F/A-18 and I'm also a month or two into it. I spent so much time tweaking mine but I'm fairly happy with it now.

Basically, I followed Grim Reapers X56 HOTAS setup guide on YouTube as a starting point, then I customised it to suit. The SLD is just a 2-way switch. I mapped brakes to one of the 4 ways. PM me your e-mail address and I'm happy to e-mail you my config. I'm pretty happy with it now. I modified it ever so slightly from Grim Reapers - I moved SRS and a few other things around.

The ministick is an axis. If you select the Axis drop down you'll see it in there, where you can map TDC to it. Add some deadzone by right clicking on it in DCS. Works well as the TDC cursor.

Where mine differs from GR is that I'm using the switches on the base for flaps and gear. I can't see the point of wasting a perfectly good 2 way switch near the hand on landing gear - even the real plane doesn't have gear on the HOTAS, and you don't normally need to lower the gear in a hurry.

I would suggest thinking about it this way when mapping something to the hand vs base.

- Will I need to hit this switch/button in a hurry?

- Is it OK to take my hand off the stick to activate this particular command?

From my perspective, I would disqualify flaps and gear from the hands-on part of the hotas and instead put them on their own switches. Same with Master ARM and Helmet mounted display brightness. At the end of the day though, it's what you're comfortable with.

I'd also suggest looking at the F/A-18C early access guide PDF from DCS (search for it under your install folders) as it shows the real F/A-18C HOTAS and the controls mapped to it on the real plane. Pretty much everything you need to hand is there, and nothing you don't (mostly!)

I like having the following on the throttle/HOTAS

- Radar elevation - you definitely want that on the HOTAS

- Speed brakes - same

- Radar range - I like this on the HOTAS

- TDC - as above

- Cage/uncage

- SRS 1 and 2

- Chaff/flares (I mapped this to the 3 way switch - flares up, chaff down)

- Head tracker re-centre (I have this on the stick, easy to get to)

- Zoom in/out (for inside the cockpit) - I have this on one of the twirly dials on the throttle. I find that it helps immensely when lining up the runway from about 5 miles out. Kind of like having binoculars I guess.

etc etc. You'll probably tweak it a few times until it's right for you. Main thing I find is that getting some consistency between aircraft helps - I tried to keep most of it the same for the F-16 then decided to just stick with the F/A-18C for a while until I'm good at it.

Edited by symowallo