F/A-18C Hornet Tribute

AndyB

Hello, just some minor correction:

First flight was in late 1978; roughly 40 years ago.

Introduction at operational service was in 1983; 36 years ago... not 50.

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Yes I know, I stated that in my narration, just a general tribute for the a-d hornet since the first design came out with yf-17. Just celebrating the mother ship lol and of course, it was my favorite aircraft after the tomcat retired.

Edited by AndyB

Us navy retired the last of them, it was already announced back in 2018 that the last navy legacy hornet squadron was soon to finish transition to the super hornet, but the they are still in service in the USA (United states marine corps branch) as well as abroad with various export users.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Still very active here in Australia. We have F/A -18 A/B's, F/A-18 F and EA-18 G in service. The A/B's will retire when we get F-35 A's.

Really? I thought you guys retired the a's. After all we are buying at least 25 from you :P

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Good Tribute, however only the US Navy legacy hornets are retired.

Australia are definitely still flying their "Classics", I was at the 77SQN mission brief for Dawn Strike on the 31st of May. However, they're not technically A's/B's anymore. With the HUG program and recent avionics upgrades they're now basically the A++.

The RAAF just completed it's Air Warfare Instructors Course (AWIC), which was the last recognised course on the Classic Hornet. They are no longer training new pilots on the legacy model, rather sending them to the states to convert to the F35.

The Marines just updated their APG-73s to APG-79s so I'd assume they'll keep them flying for some time.

Canada is obviously flying legacy hornets and just received 2 of the RAAFs post Ex Red Flag 19-1 (another ex I was lucky enough to be at this year).

Malaysia still flies the D models, they had theirs in Australia for Ex Pitch Black last year

And Switzerland, Spain, Finland and Kuwait all still fly their legacy hornets. Most of them are looking to upgrade to the Super Hornet, but time will tell what happens there. Currently only the RAAF outside of the US fly the Super Hornets and the Growlers. From what I've heard Canada is still pushing for Supers and Growlers as well even with the RAAF hornet stop gap.

Anyway, you can expect that the legacy hornet will still grace the skies for a while yet.

I've seen an RAAF F/A-18 A land on a local air field here. A 1600 metre runway. He had two goes at it and the first aborted landing he had to go full afterburner. Got an up close tour of it but couldn't touch. Was a good day that. Now days this beauty lurks in the hangar...

r416_398_2615_1482_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg