Rudder trim moves the rudder, even with no airflow...

In the Spitfire, using v2.1.1, when CTRL-ENTER is used to track the control surface deflection, we can notice that as rudder trim is set, even with the aircraft stopped on ground, and the engine stopped as well, the rudder moves.

In modules like the p51d, surface deflection only used to happen when there was enough airflow over the trim tabs.

Edited by jcomm
Solved with latest patch

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Are you sure it´s not a mechanical system that does directly affect the rudder position?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

Jcomm's right, it's just a basic trim tab system.

However, I can't confirm the initial observation, at least after today's update (haven't payed attention to it earlier) - both indicator and rudder deflect only under sufficient airflow.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

What you are describing are Flettner tabs. https://history.nasa.gov/monograph12/ch6.htm See the section "Flettner Tabs, Servo Tabs, Spring Tabs, and Whirlerons" for explanation and diagrams.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

What you are describing are Flettner tabs. https://history.nasa.gov/monograph12/ch6.htm See the section "Flettner Tabs, Servo Tabs, Spring Tabs, and Whirlerons" for explanation and diagrams.

Thx,

and yes I was aware that it is a Flattner type tab, but those only work as force reduction mechanisms for when the controls have to be moved at higher dynamic pressure values - they do not directly move the main control, and act in that way just as any other trim tab.

The effect I was seeing, before this last patch, was that by only moving the rudder trim tab, even with the aircraft on ground and engine off, the rudder also moved. It Works ok now.

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Ahhh okay, I misunderstood that. That would be weird.

I thought the issue was ailerons, elevators, and tail rudder moving, without the airflow to actuate Flettner tabs.

I tried to find some information on if the Spitfire has spring tabs, or even gear spring tabs, but couldn't find any. I kind of think it must have one of those two, otherwise you'd have basically no control over the aircraft while taxiing, other than through using the breaks. But aside from my experience flying the DCS Spitfire, everything I've read strongly insinuates that you not only have use of those control surfaces, but that you must absolutely master them to maintain control on the ground and especially while taking off.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• 2 weeks later...