Spitfire first take-off; first "landing" observations

Aright... I just picked up the Spitfire...

Lemme go setup controls and all that and I'll report back :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh... haven't read ANYTHING about "proper" landing procedure in this aircraft and I don't intend to unless I can't land it the first time :).

Good luck to me :).

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Wasn't too bad... I used the standard "Takeoff" mission that comes with the aircraft and I was able to take off and land on the first try... And I took off just fine on the second but coming back in on the second landing I realized I was too high and was sinking fast so gave her just a TAD bit of power and she rolled over to the left and dropped me on the ground :(.

Ahh well :). Not too bad though. I like the plane :)

Oh and that was with TO assist at 0 and no auto rudder or anything like that.

• 4 weeks later...

I can land but have a hard time to take off. LOL I'm using TM Warthog and it seems my stick a super sensitive. I'm pretty sure Spit was challenging airplane to fly, but I can confess my real life experience in Decathlon and Citabria doesn't help much in this case

...however I use a 10 turn (5 + 5) multiturn pot for trim wheels so whist it is good for trim sensitivity I have more work to do to trim/un-trim.

Hey Klem. Does this mean, you ripped your X52? Or did you build your own controller? (very interested to see that)

And regarding the workload you mentioned: I think(!) to spin the trim-wheels inside the real bird produces some nice blisters on your left hand palm in the course of a hard day with T/O and Landing-Training. :)

Manual for my version of RS485-Hardware, contact: tekkx@dresi.de

Please do not PM me with DCS-BIOS-related questions. If the answer might also be useful to someone else, it belongs in a public thread where it can be discovered by everyone using the search function. Thank You.

Hey Klem. Does this mean, you ripped your X52? Or did you build your own controller? (very interested to see that)

And regarding the workload you mentioned: I think(!) to spin the trim-wheels inside the real bird produces some nice blisters on your left hand palm in the course of a hard day with T/O and Landing-Training. :)

Hi Tekkx

Actually it is an old X-45. The X-45 throttle sits to the left of my X-52 Throttle and I use the X-45 Throttle for RPM/Prop conrol. I took the X-45 joystick apart, mounted the parts into a black box, replacing the pitch, roll and rudder (rocker) pots with 10 turn pots for elevator, aileron and rudder trim. You can see it mounted to the front of the X-45 throttle in the attached photo. There are a couple more switches I could have brought out and may do in the future. You probably know that DCS allows several controllers.

20170818_183338.thumb.jpg.7350a3c2a528339ca2e8fc60722ab630.jpg

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Thank you, Klem.

This looks like an amazing piece of tinker-art.

Now we drift Off Topic, but just one comment: I have my old X52 here somewhere in a box. You made me think about to rape this thing instead to resell it :)

I read about 5-turn pots somewhere. Think this could be a good choice.

I use ATM RTY 3 and 4 of my X55 for Trim. I have to stop breathing while adjusting them.

Breake a leg!

Please do not PM me with DCS-BIOS-related questions. If the answer might also be useful to someone else, it belongs in a public thread where it can be discovered by everyone using the search function. Thank You.

Thank you, Klem.

This looks like an amazing piece of tinker-art.

Now we drift Off Topic, but just one comment: I have my old X52 here somewhere in a box. You made me think about to rape this thing instead to resell it :)

I read about 5-turn pots somewhere. Think this could be a good choice.

I use ATM RTY 3 and 4 of my X55 for Trim. I have to stop breathing while adjusting them.

Breake a leg!

Just to tie off the OT, although it is certainly helpful for flying the Spitfire, you just need a plastic box, three pots/knobs (see spoiler), a notepad to carefully record where each wire goes, a few hand tools, soldering iron and a little courage : )

I think the X-52 joystick may be a little more complicated to disassemble and looking at mine I think I might be tempted to mount the stick head parts into a box on top of the stick base and keep the base and rocker switches as they are. Instead of screwing the modified joystick to the throttle base I'd just sit it behind the throttle, much the same as in the real cockpit.

I bought the following from RS components but you should find them in Germany and the pots were quite cheap as it was an experiment so I will replace them with something better when they wear out. The stripboard was just somewhere to anchor some wire ends.

Vishay Wirewound Potentiometer 534 Series with a 6 mm Dia. Shaft 10-Turn 10kΩ ±5% 2W ±20ppm/°C, Panel Mount

Stock no.: 486-7093

Qty: 3

01-0171, Single-Sided Stripboard

Stock no.: 159-5420

Qty: 1

RS Black 38.6mm Potentiometer Knob, 6mm Shaft

Stock no.: 777-7299

Qty: 3

Hope that helps.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

I can land allright, but taking off is very hard for me.

So I think, there goes something wrong: ;)

From my point of view is Taking Off the hard (but manageable) part and Landing without taking (heavy) damage is close to impossible.

My Spit behaves at less than 110 knots like a drunken horse. No matter if Flaps down or not. :joystick:

The only way (for me) to bring it down is a very long and straight approach. A short curved approach - as sometimes suggested in tutorials - is a thing I can't think about.

Edited by Tekkx

More or less curved approach is suggested in tutorials, because with a straight one you can't see a damn thing over this long wide nose :D (at least if you want to touch down smoothly on three points below 80 mph, as is the safest way to land this crate).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 2 weeks later...

A must watch for Spitfire lovers. Second half of the video shows take off and landing and uses a WWII pilot's journal description of his impressions of the spit and his detailed notes on start up, taxi and take off procedures.

Edited by Vino

A must watch for Spitfire lovers. Second half of the video shows take off and landing and uses a WWII pilot's journal description of his impressions of the spit and his detailed notes on start up, taxi and take off procedures.

Is this a Griffin powered Spit?

Rudder and stick on takeoff is reversed from the Spit IX in DCS.

• ED Team
Is this a Griffin powered Spit?

Rudder and stick on takeoff is reversed from the Spit IX in DCS.

Exactly. Long nose late Mk.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Dear God, Yo-Yo, you should ba ashamed of youself :D. Some average guy might not be able to recognize Griffon-powered Spit from the Merlin one, but you? They look completely different!

The plane on the video is obviously Kermit Weeks' Mk XVI s/n TE476. Very much Merlin powered, and if someone cannot recognize that visually (which I just can't comprehend ;) ), prop rotation and right rudder input as seen on external camera shot are a dead giveaway.

That being said, video narrator indeed says about left input (?!) - we can only presume whoever produced the film used Griffon-Spit pilot's notes for background narration. Not a very professional film then! Can't wait for the plane to be flyabale again, so that Kermit can make one of his excellent "KermieCam" videos with it and narrate it himself!

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

There's two, perhaps three different Spitfires in the Kermit bit, at least one clipped wing and one with wingtips.both Merlin and Griffon powered.

Dear God, Yo-Yo, you should ba ashamed of youself :D. Some average guy might not be able to recognize Griffon-powered Spit from the Merlin one, but you? They look completely different!

The plane on the video is obviously Kermit Weeks' Mk XVI s/n TE476. Very much Merlin powered, and if someone cannot recognize that visually (which I just can't comprehend ;) ), prop rotation and right rudder input as seen on external camera shot are a dead giveaway.

That being said, video narrator indeed says about left input (?!) - we can only presume whoever produced the film used Griffon-Spit pilot's notes for background narration. Not a very professional film then! Can't wait for the plane to be flyabale again, so that Kermit can make one of his excellent "KermieCam" videos with it and narrate it himself!

Yes, they are, but it's the TE476, which can be seen in this particular narrated takeoff and flight sequence, hence the confusion.

Exactly. Long nose late Mk.

<cough> and that mirror view.... !! <cough>

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

Yes, they are, but it's the TE476, which can be seen in this particular narrated takeoff and flight sequence, hence the confusion.

Checkmate :D

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

• ED Team

Shame on me, yes. Looked at a glance, noticed Griffon- powered one...

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Well, wasn't Mk.XVI's Packard powered last time I checked? :music_whistling: :doh: Shame on you Art-J… :lol: :thumbup:

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Well, wasn't Mk.XVI's Packard powered last time I checked? :music_whistling: :doh: Shame on you Art-J… :lol: :thumbup:

S!

Yes, Packard MERLIN, known as Merlin 266.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

Yes, Packard MERLIN, known as Merlin 266.
Still Packard, an american company, different engine, even some operation is slightly different like in Mustang instead of Spitfire.

Anyway just kidding about being so nitpicky, if we're going to be nitpick then… You see the irony, I think :thumbup: .

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice