HDR/Bloom lighting mod

bramski

I don't know what to say... I tried it and I event though it does add something of atmosphere to the game it doesn't seem very realistic looking. I mean clouds look as if they are source of light... there is glare everywhere and the image is bit blured overall. I think I won't use it.

No longer active in DCS...

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with the Hangars can be resolved by setting the plugin so that it doesn't startup by default, then once you are out the hangar press Shift+backspace and it will kick in.

Just change this line in the enbseries.ini

GLOBAL]

UseEffect=1

change it to

GLOBAL]

UseEffect=0

Then as soon as you're out the Hangar hit shift+backspace.

Thanks for that Info...

I wonder why you even bother to post when you have nothing to say.

Don't like it - don't download.

I completely agree with Yeni - the game engine just made a leap to the present.

And it's not the nice sunset that does it for me - it is the way the haze and fade of the horizon now look much more organic.

With all the values turned on and a bit stronger values for the shadows even the ground looks way more lifelike.

OMG, brillant find. I quite agree that this adds to the atmosphere of Lockon.

Now we just have to tweak the values to make it "more realistic" rather than writing it off like others have.

"No matter where you go, there you are"

Intel E-8400 "Wolfdale" - Asus Maximus Formula - Swiftech H2O 120

4 Gb G.Skill PC2-8000C5 - EVGA 8800 GTS 512 - Dell 2707WFP

WD Caviar 500Gb - Vista 64

Dvst and Excelsior... don't know what's your issue but as far as I am concerned I did download and try this thing and I personally did not like it as it is and I don't see anything wrong with saying my opinion about this on these forums.

No, you need to stop thinking that everything is directed at you. I see no mention of you name.

I thought we were allowed open discussion on a forum but obviously not. :huh:

Dvst's comment

"I wonder why you even bother to post when you have nothing to say. Don't like it - don't download"

was surely reply to my post beforehand

"I don't know what to say... I tried it and I event though it does add something of atmosphere to the game it doesn't seem very realistic looking. I mean clouds look as if they are source of light... there is glare everywhere and the image is bit blured overall. I think I won't use it."

Also:

"I thought we were allowed open discussion on a forum but obviously not"

This is exactly my point, it's you guys somehow bashing people's posts about how they don't like this mod.

Right..... so why lump me in with that? My comment was aimed more at "The console crowd" comment. TBH I didn't see yours.

You base this from a quick comment about tweaking the values. You are the one blowing this out of proportion.

BTW nice ninja edits to your post, putting the onus onto me, must remember to use the quote button next time. ;)

it's you guys somehow bashing people's posts about how they don't like this mod.

No I was reminding folks not to be so quick to judge this as a "Console crowd" mod but to wait until we edited it to suit. How was I to know I would be jumped yet again.

Heh... ninja edits :noexpression: Alright, that's at least funny :music_whistling:

Anyway, sure you did not have wrong kind of posting... I'm taking your name out. I still stand on Dvst's comment as being out of line.

Dvst's comment

"I wonder why you even bother to post when you have nothing to say. Don't like it - don't download"

was surely reply to my post beforehand

"I don't know what to say... I tried it and I event though it does add something of atmosphere to the game it doesn't seem very realistic looking. I mean clouds look as if they are source of light... there is glare everywhere and the image is bit blured overall. I think I won't use it."

I'm sorry to not have made this clear but I was only adressing the poster right above my original post.

You have tested the thing and gave exact reason of why you don't think it looks realistic.

That's a completely different thing compared to putting oneself in a "superior" position and even labeling everyone else who likes the mod as non-serious "console-crowd".

It's really just Badgers arrogance I commented on, not you mate.

Heh... ninja edits :noexpression: Alright, that's at least funny :music_whistling:

Anyway, sure you did not have wrong kind of posting... I'm taking your name out. I still stand on Dvst's comment as being out of line.

Thank you.

Maybe PMs are more convenient for that kind of comments.... They make the thread difficult to read when you just look for infos about the mod.

And I'm looking for infos about the tweaking of that :

[EFFECT]

EnableBloom=1

EnableOcclusion=0

EnableReflection=1

EnableMotionBlur=0

EnableWater=0

EnableShadow=0

DepthBias=0

and

[REFLECTION]

ReflectionPower=12

ChromePower=10

UseCurrentFrameReflection=0

ReflectionQuality=2

ReflectionSourceSpecular=50

ReflectionSourceTFactor=50

UseAdditiveReflection=0

ReflectionDepthBias=0

UseLowResReflection=0

ReflectionSinglePass=1

Lothamroth - www.Lockon.Fr - Vimeo Channel - Youtube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, as I said, I spent a few hours tweaking it and replied whether I thought it worthwhile.

And I don't.

And it doesn't bring the engine forward. The engine is the engine no matter how much bloom you add or how much you blur things.

What it will do is give you some eye candy that will affect your frame rate and your ability to tally bandits.

Again, I am a realism nut and this thing doesn't give me a hard-on.

Any opinion even though not positive about mentioned mod is still viable even though some people here have both arms in the air about it.

Maybe PMs are more convenient for that kind of comments.... They make the thread difficult to read when you just look for infos about the mod.

And I'm looking for infos about the tweaking of that :

[EFFECT]

EnableReflection=1

Will make your plane shiny and have objects reflect on it.

Realistic or not but most important is if it is nice for somebody. For me - yest it is nice.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

I didn't see any effect in the game other than bloom. I used the hotkeys to turn effects on and off and noticed changes only when playing with bloom. So I have turned off all the other effects to save fps. What have you guys found?

BTW, the problem of clouds being a light source can be sorted out by reducing the value of BloomPowerDay, which controls the power of bloom at day time. I've changed it to 3 ATM and it looks quite realistic for me. But it's subject to the your brightness setting.

I wonder why this wasnt included in LOMAC in the first place...

Well, the first game I ever played that had HDR was Elderscrolls IV: Oblivion. I think LOMAC pre-dates that game and other that have it.

To the comments about it not being realistic; what it tries to simulate seems pretty realistic. Aren't bloom effects and HDR are trying to simulate the fact that looking at a light source, or even something reflecting that light source, will "overload" your eyeballs? In other words, if you look at a pond of water or even light-colored patch of ground on a very sunny day, your eyes will just see a big blob of light. You won't be able to make out any fine details.

I can tell you from living in Texas that this effect is VERY common and affects me all summer when I walk out of my apartment. :D I'm literally blinded by the light shining on the sidewalk.

EDIT: There are some good examples in some of the screenshots so far. Notice how in one you can see a cloud with the sun behind it. With the HDR mod all you see is bright light. You can't make out the cloud anymore because the sun's light is flooding your eyeballs.

In the end its a matter of opinion. HDR and bloom also mean a lot of haze, which will negatively effect your ability to see bandits, so I probably wouldn't use this for anything but screenshots.