A10c and F18 - unplanned shutdown

0414 Wee Neal

Hi

I have, since yesterday, been experiencing unplanned shutdowns in both the A10c and F18. I start a standard mission in the A10c and when on the runway ready to start mission, a[prox 5 sec after pushing ‘fly’ the main power seems to turn off, engines close down, HUD closes and MFCD GO BLANK. Bizarrely when I start the F18 Taxi and takeoff training mission the same thing happens. I have not changed any settings and do not run any MODS. I have run a clean and repair, no change. The only thing I have done is alter a stock mission for the A10c to change the waypoint elevations, which I did just before the problem occurred. It’s all a bit strange! Any advice greatly appreciated.

Neal

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

Yup, a track would be very helpful.

Some ideas: it sounds like either the Shutdown Cheat or the engine off actions might get triggered. If you hop into the Control Assignment panel, and maybe move the throttles a bit or do whatever you usually do when starting a mission, do any actions get highlighted for no apparent reason? Could it be that the throttle signals "Off" and the engines shut down?

Sounds weird but I have found the setting "Synch HOTAS controls at mission start" or whatever it's called can cause more problems than it solves, including things similar to this. I would uncheck that if it's currently checked and see what happens.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Solved

Hi

Thank you for the responses. For some reason when I updated my HOTAS FIRMWARE it assigned the engine off to the backstop on my throttles, so when I pulled the throttle back to the rear detente it turned the engines off!

Neal

Desktop PC:

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

Hi Feefifofum

I appreciate that is the intent, but it used to do this after i lifted over the detent. It started to do the engine shutdown when the throttles touched the detent i.e. before lifting over. i am sure this never did this before lifting over the detent before, or i would have noticed thi before?

thanks

Neal

Desktop PC:

Gotcha, I misunderstood.

When you lift the throttle over the detent, it depresses and button and holds it down, as far as windows is concerned.

When pushing the throttle over the detent to the idle position, that button is released.

Even with sync controls on, the shutdown command should not be sent when your throttle is in the idle position.

To eliminate a hardware issue as the culprit, open the windows game controller properties menu, move all switches to their neutral "off" position (autopilot ALT/HDG, flaps MNVR, etc.) and observe the button presses when you lift the throttles over the detent.

With all switches neutral, no buttons should show as pressed until the throttles are in the off position. A button for each throttle should light up in the windows menu as they pass over the detent and settle into the off position. As you push the throttles back over the detent to the idle position, the button indicators should turn off again.

If you are certain all switches are neutral, and you still see buttons depressed in the idle position, there is likely a hardware issue. If everything appears to be in order, check that the idle/off bindings aren't somehow reversed in your control setup. If you have not modified the default controls, you can delete the c:/users/username/saved games/dcs.version/config/input/A-10C folder to restore defaults

Hi Feefifofum

I appreciate that is the intent, but it used to do this after i lifted over the detent. It started to do the engine shutdown when the throttles touched the detent i.e. before lifting over. i am sure this never did this before lifting over the detent before, or i would have noticed thi before?

thanks

Neal

Sounds like the throttles didn't get calibrated properly after the firmware upgrade, just needs a recalibration using the throttle recalibration tool.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1084321&postcount=7

P.S I'm not sure if this is the most up-to-date versions but it works for me.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Hi Everyone

I ran through the calibration tool process a couple of times and this fixed the problem. Many thanks for all of your assistance; its much easier to fly with my engines on!

Neal

Desktop PC: