Left handed stick recomendation please

imk

Lefty here, I fly righty like the F-16 (stick on the right side, not in the center). Never had a problem.

Yes it probably did feel awkward at first, but that didn't last very long. The good part is that I can keyboard with my left hand easier than right-handed people can, and without letting go of the stick!

• 2 weeks later...
This joy is optional.. you can switch it to right or left hand.. apologies if already mentioned.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/t16000m-fcs-hotas

That joystick has really nice mechanism, but it has only 4 buttons so badly designed and manufactured you cannot even distinguish whether you pressed it or not. It doesn't have tactile feedback. It's useless for DCS.

If someone is truly interested in flying then they should bite the bullet and learn to fly with their right hand. Military combat aircraft don't come with left hand sticks.

I'm not flying military combat aircraft. I'm sitting in my room and playing a video game. If someone is truly interested in flying then they should go to flight school.

I use X-52 pro for 1 year and I still cannot fully adapt. And when I use joy with right hand I cannot use mouse to click on buttons and switches in cockpit.

I'm going to monitor reviews for that virpil.

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

Side sticks are becoming quite common in newer "civilian" aircraft for the record. Put your right hand in your pocket for a week. One adapts very quickly.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

• 2 weeks later...

@DeepDrummer:

It doesn't matter. Even with yoke captain uses left hand to fly and first officer uses right hand to fly.

Flying civilian aircraft is very different than flying fighter jet, and additionally, flying a simulation is much different than flying a real fighter jet.

Edited by =4c=Nikola

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

• 2 weeks later...
@DeepDrummer:

It doesn't matter. Even with yoke captain uses left hand to fly and first officer uses right hand to fly.

Flying civilian aircraft is very different than flying fighter jet, and additionally, flying a simulation is much different than flying a real fighter jet.

Understood of course. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. My point is that more and more a left hand stick is going to be appropriate in the interest of realism in some of the more modern aircraft. I thought I'd present this fact here and perhaps more control device manufacturers would take notice and give us more options.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

You do realise that we are talking about simulated flying of simulated planes, for fun, and that most of us have absolutely no expectations of ever flying real military planes/helicopters? So why would you want to insist that we compromise our enjoyment and flying experience by using our non-dominant hand which feels wrong and awkward. Left handed people tend to have better developed visio-spatial ability which I am sure they/we would compromise if not using our natural dominant hand.

In order for my flying experience to be as realistic as I could make it, my priority was on the real dynamics of flight and control feedback so I decided that a force feedback system was an absolute priority and it adds a great deal to the experience of flying warbirds, GA planes and helicopters. You seem to have compromised your experience by missing out on one of the most fundamental aspects of flying but tell others to lessen the quality of their experience and enjoyment by conforming to a standard that is unnecessary in the simulated world.

While I agree it is much easier to buy a standard HOTAS to give fingertip control of military jets that is a limited view of flying and its experiences. If you are truly interested in flying try flying a P51 or a Huey with your Warthog setup and tell me that you are not losing out a great deal compared to a more realistic setup with force feedback.

Its all about suitability for your needs and priorities and the individual enjoying the experience as much as possible and for me that naturally involves flying with my left hand.

Must jump in here, I'm a lefty, I learned to use my right hand and have better coordination now than i ever did with my left. Its all an adaptation, if you take the time to sit down and play with your right hand for a couple of hours it stops feeling weird.

"Though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil. For I am 80,000 feet and climbing." -9th SRW Det. 1 Wing Ops, Kadena AFB, Okinawa, Japan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5-4460, 16GB of RAM, MSi GTX 970 Twin Frozr V, ASRock H97M Anniversary, 2x 1TB HDD, Fractal design Core 1100, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Corsair Vengeance K70, Razer Abyssus mouse, BenQ 1080P monitor.

• 3 weeks later...

arent pilots supposed to work with both hands, regardless of dominance? you know dismantle stuff blindfolded, all that??

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 2 weeks later...

Lefty here as well....flight Sims and pls as in general are right hand favored, not like the gun world where a lot of stuff is accidentally left handed (before you start I have examples, but that's a different forum).

I've never had an issue with flying righty. It's been like that from day one, my little Microsoft stick was force righty because the throttle was on the left side of the base. Works out just fine now, stick on right, throttle on left, and bonus, my mouse is also on the left so I can do stuff in game/cockpit/map and still fly straight.

While a left handed controller seems lime a good idea, as a lefty in a righty world who adjusted so long ago to the gear I feel lime it would be impossible to switch over, and since the good stuff is already built for rightys I'll stick to that. I'm basing that on the one time I bought a left handed bolt action rifle.....I HATED how it felt after shooting my M48 Mauser for a decade!!!

Good looking controller there though!!!