Oculus Rift & Snap Views

kraszus

Well, took the plunge and ordered a Rift despite my concerns over instrument / HUD legibility and being able to pick up targets in the TGP. With that in mind, I'd hope to still be able to use Snap Views with the Rift, primarily to have a large static view of the TGP for target hunting. Is this possible whilst using the Rift (am guessing not)?

That won't work (and it would make you pretty nauseous to be honest). The tracking is 1:1 so the image will be pretty steady. You can use the VR Zoom feature though.

edit> I posted at the same time as MX ;) . In all honesty, snap views are a relic of pre-VR simming. You will learn to adapt, and also, remember that a real pilot doesn't have a rock solid snap view. Believe me, you are going to be blown away when you fly DCS in VR for the first time.

Edited by Astronut
  • Like 1

Just look at what you need and lean in.

I lean in to read gauges all the time IRL

Alienware 17 R3: Intel i7 6820HK @ 4 GHz, 16 GB DDR4, GTX 980M, 1TB Samsung NVMe 951 SSD, AW Graphics Amplifier w/ GTX 1080, TM HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Monstertech, MFG Crosswind, Jetseat KW-908

That won't work (and it would make you pretty nauseous to be honest). The tracking is 1:1 so the image will be pretty steady. You can use the VR Zoom feature though.

edit> I posted at the same time as MX ;) . In all honesty, snap views are a relic of pre-VR simming. You will learn to adapt, and also, remember that a real pilot doesn't have a rock solid snap view. Believe me, you are going to be blown away when you fly DCS in VR for the first time.

And VR Zoom does not make you nauseous and is totally realistic. :P

But that's about the only option to read some instruments in some cockpits. The good thing is that most of the common gauges are readable without it.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

In some cases (for example handle TAD) is a lot easier with VR zoom, but you must keep the button pressed. It would be a good thing the possibility to toggle vr zoom on and off as well as the current method of keeping the button pressed. Is it possible?

Sure it is possible now.

I actually have VR Zoom assigned to two buttons on my Warthog throttle, one on a hat for press and hold, the other on a two way toggle switch, so a toggle gives me zoom on, and another toggle zoom off.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

And VR Zoom does not make you nauseous and is totally realistic. :P

But that's about the only option to read some instruments in some cockpits. The good thing is that most of the common gauges are readable without it.

It's a tool that helps with one of the main deficiencies of the current gen headsets. Nothing is perfect and there will always be a certain degree of compromise. It is still more realistic than a fixed snap view.