What do I need to make a good DCS Server?

From the beginning, an ongoing state of confusion has arisen regarding trying to host a server for DCS. Performance issues and the like.

DCS in itself for both regular and server installations is stuck to a single core of a CPU. not something I find all that pleasing. but whatever. So I had an old system kicking around FX-8300 OC 4.0GHZ with 24gb ddr3 1600mhz. and a GTX 970. not too bad.

But here's the thing. despite the fact, I used this system for a couple of years to play DCS. it sucks. The server runs but performance is poor and I'm constantly dealing with issues. and aircraft pinging around in space.

I had an i7 build I got to snag for a little bit however that's since fallen out of reach. during that time though things were much better. so okay, back to the thing about single-core performance. There's an obvious difference between the two chips but it doesn't seem like it should hurt that bad. my internet should be the bottleneck with just a 7mbps upload.

At this point, I'm tired of the old system and want to get something that is smaller, quieter, and better for hosting servers, most notably DCS. but I'm scared to run into these problems again and I want to know what specifically about a system makes it work better for DCS while we're still using only a single thread. (please Vulkan faster)

I've also heard that some servers have some way of utilizing the GPU for some extra power. and seeing as I have a GTX 970 just sitting in that system It would be good to put it to work.

Can anyone shed some light on what can be done to optimize server performance as well as what hardware makes for a solid, stable, and high-performance DCS server platform?

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E MB | Ryzen 9 5950x | ASUS Tuf RTX 4080 | 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 MHz DDR4 | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | Track IR 5 | Gigabyte M27Q-P 1440p 165hz |

Hello...

We currently run our single server DCS instance on a Dell OptiPlex 9020 SFF cost £120, second hand for base unit and spent around £120 for 500GB SSD, swapping CPU from i5 to i7 and extra 16gb mem upgrade although 16gb that came with it is plenty.

Specs I7-4790 CPU @ 3.60Ghz and 32GB (DCS Server Typically using 4-5GB), Win 10 Pro, 500SSD & DVDRW, connected via Virgin Media 380dn/35up. Wireless Keyboard & Mouse.

NO DEDICATED GRAPHICS, USING PROC Intergrated GFX...

Used as workshop PC in garage for misc stuff whilst hosting DCS... Nice little machine only downside I would say as its a small form factor machine it has unique parts ie PSU etc, but as these machines are usually found in businesses there are loads knocking around cheap on sales and wants etc.

Its never gonna be a gaming machine although some people have slid in a 1050 low profile GPU but since the non GUI DCS server release its not an issue here.

Dangermouse

Dangermouse

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Have you ever monitored network traffic on it and if yes, how high is it? How many slots does it offer?

On our server we've a monitoring system to check all the usage, and of course also bandwidth it's crucial stats.

Based on our experience you can expect less then 1Mb/sec ( 8Mbps ) for 10/15 players. Growing up to 2.5Mb/sec (20Mbps) for 20/25 and so on. Just take into account that it's not really a linear, it's more parabolic curve ;)

Also the complexity of the mission that you're running really affect bandwidth usage, since server need ( or should at least :lol: ) sync all the units/groups etc. between all the clients.

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

... Based on our experience you can expect less then 1Mb/sec ( 8Mbps ) for 10/15 players. Growing up to 2.5Mb/sec (20Mbps) for 20/25 and so on. Just take into account that it's not really a linear, it's more parabolic curve ;) ...

This is downlink, uplink or both just to be sure?

This is downlink, uplink or both just to be sure?

ups.... forgot to mention it, the value that I've reported are the total aggregated value UP/DOWN, you can consider something like 70% Up and 30% Down.

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!