Help required with VR settings/expectations

Hello Spitfire pilots, I need your help.

I’m finally learning the Spitfire having owned it for years and I’m smitten. Coming from jets and ground pounding this is something new, challenging and satisfying.

Dare I say it, more satisfying than fly by wire and dropping gbu’s with wings level and 20000 feet :music_whistling:

But I’ve run into a problem when it comes to dogfighting and that is ASW double vision

I fly only in VR (I’ve never tried trackir) and single player but the double vision of passing planes when ASW kicks in really breaks the immersion for me. This is much less of an issue in the jets as you don’t tend to chuck the things around the sky so much and dogfights are usually carried out at a distance of 20 miles as opposed to 20 feet.

My system is an 8700k @ 4.8ghz, 1080ti and 32gb of ddr4 ram with dcs on a ssd.

Using stable branch with a Rift S

I’ve lowered all my settings to the point where I’ve now turned everything off except high cockpit textures and visibility and PD down to 1.1 and not only does it look pretty ugly but anything more than 2v2 and the ghosting returns.

I’m getting a bit desperate at this stage, I’ve bought the excellent looking Big Show and Epsom campaigns (waiting on amazon delivery of the book too) but I can’t play them without my frames taking a nose dive even after removing units with the F10 option and lowering my graphics settings to the point where it just doesn’t look very nice anymore.

So am I just expecting too much and just have to live with the double vision of passing bandits? Are there any recommendations for improving performance/settings? (I can’t really go any lower at this point though.)

Or must I instead try the other WWII sim or worse still ditch VR?

I wish DCS had better performance in VR, it’s like having something you’ve always dreamed of but when you go near it it spits in your eye.

Thanks in advance for any advice, I really need it :pilotfly:

I don't seem to have the ASW issue you have but something else entirely. My problem is that, in VR, the Spitfire propeller blur causes any graphics seen through the propeller arc to break up and go crazy. Any target within the arc basically becomes nearly impossible to see as a result. This only happens with the Spit. This doesn't happen with the FW-190 propeller arc.

So, if anyone out there has any advice for us, that would be greatly appreciated.

I7-4790 @ 4.0ghz

32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 2070 Super

Hello Spitfire pilots, I need your help.

I’m finally learning the Spitfire having owned it for years and I’m smitten. Coming from jets and ground pounding this is something new, challenging and satisfying.

Dare I say it, more satisfying than fly by wire and dropping gbu’s with wings level and 20000 feet :music_whistling:

But I’ve run into a problem when it comes to dogfighting and that is ASW double vision

I fly only in VR (I’ve never tried trackir) and single player but the double vision of passing planes when ASW kicks in really breaks the immersion for me. This is much less of an issue in the jets as you don’t tend to chuck the things around the sky so much and dogfights are usually carried out at a distance of 20 miles as opposed to 20 feet.

My system is an 8700k @ 4.8ghz, 1080ti and 32gb of ddr4 ram with dcs on a ssd.

Using stable branch with a Rift S

I’ve lowered all my settings to the point where I’ve now turned everything off except high cockpit textures and visibility and PD down to 1.1 and not only does it look pretty ugly but anything more than 2v2 and the ghosting returns.

I’m getting a bit desperate at this stage, I’ve bought the excellent looking Big Show and Epsom campaigns (waiting on amazon delivery of the book too) but I can’t play them without my frames taking a nose dive even after removing units with the F10 option and lowering my graphics settings to the point where it just doesn’t look very nice anymore.

So am I just expecting too much and just have to live with the double vision of passing bandits? Are there any recommendations for improving performance/settings? (I can’t really go any lower at this point though.)

Or must I instead try the other WWII sim or worse still ditch VR?

I wish DCS had better performance in VR, it’s like having something you’ve always dreamed of but when you go near it it spits in your eye.

Thanks in advance for any advice, I really need it :pilotfly:

You might want to check your graphics card settings, mine are below in my sig, even though I’m using wmr, they may help get some extra perf out of your card. That said, some double vision is ‘normal’ is normal with ASW, because of the way it works, essentially the hardware guesses every other frame, and sometimes it gets it slightly wrong which is why you get the ‘double vision’...

Also be aware that if you are running 2.5.6 there are perf issues with it, especially in Vr

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I fear that you currently have to life with this situation until either GPU/CPU improves so much that it can pump DCS to 80-90 fps under most VR conditions or else the engine of DCS improves in performance.

Its one of the reason why i - although i love the flight model of the WW2 fighters in DCS - stay away from WW2 A2A especially MP. One is just at a severe disadvantage when there are no labels.

When i do WW2 A2A either PvE or PvP i go with labels dot only. That really helps although not a perfect solution.

It may sound a little odd, but for A2A PvP in VR i personally like Warthunder Sim still the most, as it has extremely good performance in VR and you do not encounter ASW issues like in DCS or IL2.

Thanks for the replies chaps, all very much appreciated.

Chezdajez, Oh yes I was getting lots of that. In fact that was my first indication on starting a mission that there was going to be lots of double vision when I was trying to track bandits.

I’m amazed it only happens with the Spitfire, shame we can’t disable the prop disc like you can in il2 (with a mod) or better yet the devs bloody well fixed it.

Agathos_Deimon, As tempting as War Thunder is I really like the Sim factor of dcs and the satisfaction of doing it as it would have been done (well as best as I can manage at least) but maybe I should give it a whirl.

Stuaraston, yeah I kinda figured, that and moving from PG map with the f18 where I’m convinced overall performance of the map is better, well there are a lot less trees in the desert for a start, and when asw kicks in it is less noticeable at least when ground pounding.

I seem to have got it sorted with some tinkering with the gfx settings and unchecking the box marked ‘high expectations’ ;)

I’ve now got to a point where I’m at 80fps most of the time in a dogfight. Setting view distance to medium seems to have made a big difference. Also I’ve realised my best bet is to make use of the mission editor and setup bigger furballs over the channel or the less built up areas of Normandy and also reducing cloud density. All pretty common sense stuff really, but I’d been able to not worry about these things so much in the jets and PG map.

Last night I had 36 b17s, 4 spitfires and 8 109s fighting it out just south of Ford (6miles from my house indecently) and it very rarely went below 80fps. Same with a 4v8 with light flak over Falaise. Oh and over some empty desert in the Persian gulf it (unsurprisingly) flys along. If only we could setup makeshift airstrips in the desert with the mission editor I could make some missions there and give the Africa Corps a jolly good clobbering.

I wonder what performance is going to be like on the new Channel map compared to Normandy. I’m hopping much better but I can’t see how.

Any way Thanks again :)

I fear that you currently have to life with this situation until either GPU/CPU improves so much that it can pump DCS to 80-90 fps under most VR conditions or else the engine of DCS improves in performance.

No, we just need ED to get their act together and fix the prop effect in the Spitfire (and Anton). It's not realistic anyway, even when seen on a 2D monitor.

Older DCS WWII aircraft are fine in VR because the prop effect is subtle, like it is on a real aircraft. In the newer DCS props the effect is overdone, with a side effect that it also breaks motion smoothing in VR.

Sadly, the upcoming P-47 will have the same issue, at least judging from the recent Wags video.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

No, we just need ED to get their act together and fix the prop effect in the Spitfire (and Anton). It's not realistic anyway, even when seen on a 2D monitor.

Older DCS WWII aircraft are fine in VR because the prop effect is subtle, like it is on a real aircraft. In the newer DCS props the effect is overdone, with a side effect that it also breaks motion smoothing in VR.

Sadly, the upcoming P-47 will have the same issue, at least judging from the recent Wags video.

For me, I'm convinced that artists live in a world devoid of accuracy and reality. That to me, is quite evident in the excessive effects in DCS.

LESS IS MORE! Always has been!

Thanks for the replies chaps, all very much appreciated.

Chezdajez, Oh yes I was getting lots of that. In fact that was my first indication on starting a mission that there was going to be lots of double vision when I was trying to track bandits.

I’m amazed it only happens with the Spitfire, shame we can’t disable the prop disc like you can in il2 (with a mod) or better yet the devs bloody well fixed it.

Agathos_Deimon, As tempting as War Thunder is I really like the Sim factor of dcs and the satisfaction of doing it as it would have been done (well as best as I can manage at least) but maybe I should give it a whirl.

Stuaraston, yeah I kinda figured, that and moving from PG map with the f18 where I’m convinced overall performance of the map is better, well there are a lot less trees in the desert for a start, and when asw kicks in it is less noticeable at least when ground pounding.

I seem to have got it sorted with some tinkering with the gfx settings and unchecking the box marked ‘high expectations’ ;)

I’ve now got to a point where I’m at 80fps most of the time in a dogfight. Setting view distance to medium seems to have made a big difference. Also I’ve realised my best bet is to make use of the mission editor and setup bigger furballs over the channel or the less built up areas of Normandy and also reducing cloud density. All pretty common sense stuff really, but I’d been able to not worry about these things so much in the jets and PG map.

Last night I had 36 b17s, 4 spitfires and 8 109s fighting it out just south of Ford (6miles from my house indecently) and it very rarely went below 80fps. Same with a 4v8 with light flak over Falaise. Oh and over some empty desert in the Persian gulf it (unsurprisingly) flys along. If only we could setup makeshift airstrips in the desert with the mission editor I could make some missions there and give the Africa Corps a jolly good clobbering.

I wonder what performance is going to be like on the new Channel map compared to Normandy. I’m hopping much better but I can’t see how.

Any way Thanks again :)

Glad it has been helpful, Nevada also good for high FPS...but less useful for the scenarios you want... anyway glad you have gotten some improvement

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Could you post a picture of your ingame grafic settings you achieve those fps at? Cause my rig is very similar to yours and if i can bump the fps to the 70+ish area i might give WW2 A2A a try again in DCS. :)

Agathos_Deimon Yeah no problem, as soon as I get the chance. The schools being closed has meant I don’t get to play DCS very much at all (I’m currently hiding in the bathroom to type this.) But next time I’m lucky enough to be sat in front of my PC (and have the energy to turn it on) I shall.

Though worth bearing in mind it really dose need to be over a place with not much going on on the ground ie the sea, and it doesn’t look particularly pretty. Also I’ve now noticed that frame rates start to take a dip the more parachutes there are floating down.

Does anyone know if there is a way to stop or reduce the likelihood of the AI bailing out?

Also I’m currently trying to creat a randomised mission with late activated units to keep things vr friendly. The ED missions in the hornet for example, though great, have too much going on in them for me to enjoy in vr as the frame rate tanks.

Stuartaston Thanks, just need the spare time to enjoy it now. I didn’t expect a pandemic to drop a 1000lb bomb on my sim time. Kids being off school and trapped in the house is not conducive to any kind of hobby haha

Ah it would seem 5 weeks of isolation with my family has turned my brain to mush, thank you rmk80.

Hopefully this has worked.

My PD is set to 1.3 in dcs and the only thing I’ve changed in NCP is prefer maximum performance.

Hope it helps :)

Edit: this is what I’m using for Normandy, I can turn a few things up in PG such as shadows and view distance as long as I’m not flying over a big city. But that’s ok as I don’t think there were many ww2 dogfights over 21st century Dubai :D

59DDD7D0-73E9-44EA-8918-497E56B9036C.thumb.jpeg.6a2f5579612bd15c6cab0b30594fc5bf.jpeg

Edited by Digitalvole