Would you fly Civilian/military cargo plane in DCS? Adapting the C-130...

Frag

Realistically you can't mix or interchange certain models, they're not the same aircraft. An A model is different to the extreme, different mark engines, props, wing, and runs primarily on DC power, so electrically it's radically different. You don't just hop into either one, you go through specific schools before you make the swap, or at least I did. Even the oxygen system is completely different using gas cylinders. A's got more in common with a B-29 under the hood, than a C-130B.

Your basic B through H pretty are much similar, moving to J and up, same thing, swapping is not going to happen, your in glass cockpit territory now. So radically different you lose the engineer.

In the trash hauler world 80% of the action is happening on the ground, getting airborne is a relief, kick back and put your feet up.

Nice idea, but your going to have to get a plan, it ain't going to be easy. Personally wouldn't buy it, been there, done it for eight years, you won't suspend the disbelief, not on a modern multi, to me it'll always be about the crew.

Fighter/attack/helo pilot, all the action happens once he sits in the seat, big difference.

Here is a video of Nato Awacs operations from Konya AFB - Turkiye (Route destination is near Syrian border)

Look at this beauty. It would be a great opportunuty to fly this legendary 707 and work in the back also!

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

C-130 would be great indeed -as would the Il-76 -which is a very versatile aircraft itself.

I don't think any transport AC that can't move useful stuff and do rough field landings or drop paras would be much sought after generallly?

Speaking of which it'd be nice to have those combat AC that can rough-field operate fully implemented... including just simply operating from roads and being able to be supplied when doing so. (I know they can land there and 'use' FARPs in some cases, but not easily).

Edited by 159_Archer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

159th Guards Aviation Regiment; recruiting now! http://www.159thgar.com/

We now fly all modern Jets and Helos

Due to origin I would prefer a C160, but realistically the C130 being used by so many nations around the globe would be the plane to go for in DCS.

For REDFOR an An-26. Both would be great to have in DCS.

The bottom line is: Yes, full fidelity transport aircraft are badly needed in DCS, and I would happily fly them.

(On another note, I never understood why OctopusG planned to create an I-16 for DCS when they had this fantastic An-2 for FSX/P3D - would have been great to replace the very old static AN-2 models in the Caucasus with the real deal and be able to fly them)

• Like 1

No big plane was mentioned in the 2019 plans that's very sad .

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

lol same here but baby steps eh? ;) I'm sure they could model a 4 engine a/c or maybe they can't so I'm suggesting something a little smaller/older (so that theoretically we can get the proper info about the a/c). Otherwise I'd love a C130 just like everyone else!

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

• 1 year later...

I must say that cargo/ transport full fidelity aircraft would definitely catch my interest.

As suggested in original post, C-130 is probably the most attractive i would take that in a heartbeat, thought i think some other airframes would be spectacular as well (if possible to develop), such as:

An-12 / An-10

C-235 / C-295

L-410

C-27

One can only dream Il-76

C-47 (would fit in WWII operations nicely)

When playing Oilfield campaign with Mi-8 (which i very much enjoy), i am tuned for some similar civil / military fixed wing transport operations :)

• Like 1

I would love to see some transport airplanes like the C-130 because of it's many variants. But until DCS code can support the simulation of more the two engines it is not feasible currently.

However there is another alternative that is a twin engine cargo airplane, the C-2 Greyhound. It would be the only cargo airplane that could operate off carrier decks and would be a perfect fit for the current state that DCS is in with all of the new naval maps coming out soon.

C-2A.jpg

I would.

Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming WiFi MB | i7-8700k @ 4.9 GHz | EVGA GTX 1070 Ti | 32 GB CORSAIR Vengeance 3000 MHz DDR4 Ram | Corsair H100 Pro Cooler | RaidMax TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD |TM Warthog Hotas w/ F/A-18 Hornet grip | Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | Oculus Rift S

DCS | AV8B | F18C | F-16C | A10C | Mig 29 | F15 | SA-342 | Huey | Persian Gulf | NTTR | Combined Arms

Excellent idea, but i would say that being ex airborne forces. With the possibility to drop paratroopers or light armour or trucks via parachute

Utrinque Paratus

I7-9700K OCTA-CORE 3.6 GHZ / 4.8 GHZ

RAM 32 GB DDR4 (3000 MHZ)

NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - 8 GB GDDR6

STORAGE - 2TB SSD - 6 TB SATA

Crewed on trash haulers back in the day, C-141's and after retooled into antique C-130A's and B's, so not much interested in a PC version as a flyable sim. Too great a disconnect in my case, PC can't ever mimic a live flight crew, and most of the action takes place on the ground any way.

But that said the mission profiles and what these types can bring to the table as part of a dynamic world or campaign is just too damn good not to develop. It's a whole other world of Air War operations with far greater variety and depth than fighters will ever have.

A typical fighter module usually take 2-3 years and sometimes even more. A mega complicated module like C-130 would take a LOT of HARDwork from the devs and only a VERY few purists would buy it.

If its worth the returns for the HARDwork then it would be OK. Between an F-104 and C-130. There would be more sales for the F-104 than for the C-130.

Question is, How long would take for such complicated modules to formulate? 4-5 years ? Would the HARDwork be worth the returns?

AI updated models is better for now. Its already taking very long on that.

Maybe much later. When DCS has long range maps, good ATC comms and the like

Edited by jojyrocks
Forgot to add something.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like, please, the following:

C-130 or CASA 295 or Alenia C-27J.

I said please. Thank you.

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

A typical fighter module usually take 2-3 years and sometimes even more. A mega complicated module like C-130 would take a LOT of HARDwork from the devs and only a VERY few purists would buy it.

If its worth the returns for the HARDwork then it would be OK. Between an F-104 and C-130. There would be more sales for the F-104 than for the C-130.

Question is, How long would take for such complicated modules to formulate? 4-5 years ? Would the HARDwork be worth the returns?

It depends mate, in what do you base your answer? I knew a lot of people that would instantly buy a C-130, people that are even strange to DCS World. But they would even turn to DCS if they have that... so I guess it depends on the public.

There are a lot of people that don't like fighters and would rather do some other type of flight.

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

It depends mate, in what do you base your answer? I knew a lot of people that would instantly buy a C-130, people that are even strange to DCS World. But they would even turn to DCS if they have that... so I guess it depends on the public.

There are a lot of people that don't like fighters and would rather do some other type of flight.

It always makes me scratch my head when I see someone make a comment that is so narrow minded. Its like they can't comprehend there being more than a hand full of people out there that would be interested in anything other than a fighter jet. Either that or they just disregard the facts so that their own persona agenda for their dream jet is attended to before anything else.

Even though the C-130 is not at the top of my list I have a pretty good idea based on many comments I have read over the years that it would be a hot seller enough to risk betting the farm on it. I totally agree that a C-130 would interest more people outside DCS than any fighter jet could. I would even say a C-2 Greyhound or E-2 Hawkeye would also draw in similar interest. There are a lot of people out there that just like to fly around.

Here are just a few of many comments I have seen to put things in perspective.

ThorBrasil: “What DCS lacks is a transport plane. F-16 was the last fighter I will buy.”

Montes: “Yes, airplanes that are not just fighter, we don't all want to fight all the time.”

Aluminum Donkey:

“I've blown a thousand bux or thereabouts on DCS World, and all I ever really do in it is some furballs and fly around like a civilian flight sim, admiring the scenery. Maybe try to strafe the civilian traffic now and then.”

You are correct that a typical fighter module could take usually take 2-3 years to develop with their advanced radar targeting systems and various weapons systems. So then a plain C-130 without those added complexities should be simpler to develop in theory taking less time than usual. Let that sink in for a bit. :smilewink:

Edited by Evoman

yeah what makes a prop cargo plane "mega complicated" compared to an f-18? Mostly steam gauges, just takes off and lands. Is making openable cargo doors mega complicated? Only complicated thing can be a weather radar and it is not a big deal. It can be part of ED's "2 weeks" program

Youtube

yeah what makes a prop cargo plane "mega complicated" compared to an f-18? Mostly steam gauges, just takes off and lands. Is making openable cargo doors mega complicated? Only complicated thing can be a weather radar and it is not a big deal. It can be part of ED's "2 weeks" program

How about prop effects ? Torque , P factor , angle of attack effects , rotating slipstream effects at different attitudes , pitch vs rpm , airframe stability at different rpms due to more or less centrifugal forces , asymetric engine out effects with engines mounted further outboard than a twin-engine fighter , and so on ad-darn-near infinitum .

To say nothing of modeling 4 engines and their respective systems .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2