F/A-18C learning curve

Nahemoth

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a learning progress list for the F/A-18C. That is, there are several subsystems, weapons, operations, etc. It is difficult to learn all them at the same time, so one must practice step by step until you master the plane.

Maybe the guide made by Chuck can be a reference, but is there any other suggestion?

Many thanks!

I'd suggest reading the manual and watching Matt Wagner's (Wags) and Redkite's youtube videos. Wags explains most new systems as they were added in DCS and Redkite goes through some systems and procedures step by step.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Wags has done a great series of videos on Youtube, that should provide at least a starting point for your mastery of the Hornet.

The first video in the series is at

and that should provide links to the others. Otherwise, go to Matt Wagner's youtube playlists and you will find the collection from there.

Good luck and stay safe

The question is, what do you want to do with the Hornet? What type of mission do you prefer?

Air to air? Air to ground? What type of AG mission?

I would start with learning the basics. Cockpit, take-off, landing (incl. CV), AA-refueling.

Then just what you are most interessted in and build up from there. Even the real pilots don't learn everything at once. It's just too much.

But we have the advantage to choose. ;)

Edited by MadCat1381
corrected typo

First start with basic things; take off and land, pattern, carrier ops, mid-air refuel. Then move to unguided weapons. After that laserguided weapons, after that GPS/INS guided weapons, in conjunction with the TGP. After that Air to Air and radar/EW/datalink usage. Finally countertactics like missile evasion, use of chaff/flare, notching, and all that.

One "section" at a time.

most people think AG is where to start.

Not necessarily. Most typical military fighter training programs always start with basic systems, general handling (aircraft handling, takeoff and landing, etc) and then do A/A BEFORE A/G. A/A is where you really learn to max perform the jet and really learn to fly it away from the ground where you might kill yourself. Then A/G is introduced once a student has passed the A/A basics phase (BFM, ACM). A/G requires very precise aircraft control and precision to achieve weapons delivery accuracy. Well, at least before GPS weapons made pilots lazy, but that's a whole other subject for another time.

Funny story.... I recall we had an F-15C pilot transition over to our community, which was mostly A/G focused. In the F-15C community, there was a longtime running joke that they could not even say the word "bomb" lest they would be fined. The closest they could come would be to literally use the term "The B word". That's how little this guy knew about A/G weapons employment when he showed up. Three months after he arrived, he won the Top Gun of the Quarter award for overall best A/G pilot. Someone asked him in the bar how the F*^k did he get so good at A/G so quickly. His reply was - "A/G is easy, you're just BFMing a point on the ground that's not moving." TFS. ;)

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

If you already have a drivers licence for cars, remember how you started doing this.

Get a good teacher (tutorials) and then when they let you go on your own, practise as often as you can.

And it is not a bad idea to to do the training lesson again from time to time.

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

I've just spent an hour or so on Bankler's awesome Case 1 training mission and although I am consistently only scoring in the 40s, at least I can get down safely. Well, sort of. :)

It's the final 180 degree turn that appears to be stumping me, with the rates of descent, particularly after the 90, not being what they should. I need better throttle control methinks.

I've just spent an hour or so on Bankler's awesome Case 1 training mission and although I am consistently only scoring in the 40s, at least I can get down safely. Well, sort of. :)

It's the final 180 degree turn that appears to be stumping me, with the rates of descent, particularly after the 90, not being what they should. I need better throttle control methinks.

Remember to increase speed slightly going into the turn and decrease it slightly coming out of it. Yes, good throttle control is mandatory.

Buzz

It would appear that practising the right things will make perfect.

I got a 63/75, my best ever, and it was so much easier to follow the ball down to the 3-wire from the right height at the wake.

Many thanks @Lex Talionis. Your video was spot on and after only about an hour of practising the on-speed base leg turn, I think I'm finally getting there. If I keep on practising, a 75 might even be doable. :)

Tip: always practice landings. In most missions you are going to train, your plane will already start in the sky. Look for the nearest airport and land, especially before you start flying online. It is every horrible thing that we see. People demand the most perfect simulator in the world but cannot find the patience to taxi their planes to the runway or land their planes. As the colleague said before, train a lot. Use and abuse your mission editor. Create several missions, one for each thing you want to learn, even if it is to go around and discover the limits of your fighter. But after all that, land.

LOMAC, FC, DCS, AV-8B, F/A-18, F-16, AH-64, Super Carrier, Persian Gulf, Syria.

i7 12700K, 4070 Ti PNY XLR8 OC, 64 RAM DDR4 3200, B660M Aorus Pro, 1T NVMe Kingston Fury Renegade (DCS), 1T NVMe Kingston NV2 (OS), ASUS QHD 31,5" VG32VQ1B, VKB Gladiator Pro (metal gimbal) + Kosmosima grip, CH Pro Throttle, TIR 5.

All ya need ....

That guy? Total android. Not even human. The whole thing is probably CGI.

Real people can't do things like that! :joystick::pilotfly:

Seriously, I wish you'd do a couple more. Lots of theory, which is wonderful and extremely helpful (I've got copious notes), but it's like Nuke School. Once you have the theory down you're half done.

Another video with the practical side of things would be great. A track file would be better, so we can see what it's supposed to look like, and can work on the muscle memory without ironing in bad habits.

Tip: always practice landings. In most missions you are going to train, your plane will already start in the sky. Look for the nearest airport and land, especially before you start flying online. It is every horrible thing that we see. People demand the most perfect simulator in the world but cannot find the patience to taxi their planes to the runway or land their planes. As the colleague said before, train a lot. Use and abuse your mission editor. Create several missions, one for each thing you want to learn, even if it is to go around and discover the limits of your fighter. But after all that, land.

Absolutely . I try to make 2 or 3 landings in every flight , often at different airfields so i can maintain currency in navigation as well .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Absolutely . I try to make 2 or 3 landings in every flight , often at different airfields so i can maintain currency in navigation as well .

90% of my time is spent gear down (or about to be down) flying around runways and ships. Heck, once I'm down I taxi to the farthest corner of the field and park with my wheels on the line.

Still feel like a derp when I roll out long or short, or high, or low, or look like I'm three beers past my limit on a taxiway...then one time I land on the centerline, roll out like a pro, and park like someone who knows what they're doing.

Brief moments of awe surrounded on all sides by inadequacy.

Any time I start to feel too good about myself I have an aircraft in my do-everything multi training mission on the CV downwind. Always, always, always short and left. I know, the runway is crabbing sideways at 45.6 feet per second, but I haven't found the trick to adjust for that in the groove.

<edit>

I have two ships lined up at 1.2 miles port of the carrier, one abeam of the stern and another 3/4 mile aft so I have reference points. Nice to know I hit those points well, still can't cross the threshold without the LSOs diving for cover.

</edit>

Edited by Raisuli

That guy? Total android. Not even human. The whole thing is probably CGI.

Real people can't do things like that! :joystick::pilotfly:

Seriously, I wish you'd do a couple more. Lots of theory, which is wonderful and extremely helpful (I've got copious notes), but it's like Nuke School. Once you have the theory down you're half done.

Another video with the practical side of things would be great. A track file would be better, so we can see what it's supposed to look like, and can work on the muscle memory without ironing in bad habits.

Ha.

Ya, now that the flight model has *stabilized* a bit, I plan on making more this summer. As you said, putting it all together from a more complete, practical, "that pilot sh!t" perspective.

Find us on Discord. https://discord.gg/td9qeqg

Ha.

Ya, now that the flight model has *stabilized* a bit, I plan on making more this summer. As you said, putting it all together from a more complete, practical, "that pilot sh!t" perspective.

That's good to hear Lex. Looking forward to it. Thanks for passing on your experience. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Ha.

That would be SO awesome! Thank you so much! I'm sure everyone appreciates the time people like you and G B and Mover give us.

Looking forward to it!