Ultrawide enough for formation flying?

Fly in echelon, and if you position your view right you should be able to keep the HUD in one side of the frame and your form buddy on the other in 16:9.

Seriously though, invest in TrackIR as soon as you can. It's a life changer, and i can't imagine doing air-to-air without it. I did A2G in the Hawg for a year or so without it; it's doable but DCS is much better with it.

What about keeping your current monitor and getting a VR headset? I find VR helps a lot with most of flying phases.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

for formation flying I would get VR.

hands down the best thing for precision flying. like formation flying, refuelling, or landing helicopters in impossible places.

I too used to think a 2d monitor and trackIR was enough.

but it is far, far easier in VR.

and VR is a lot cheaper than an ultra wide. exactly why I bought it three years ago.

I was looking at expensive ultra wides.. and took a gamble on the thing a third of the price.

never regretted it.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

4:3 monitor will work just fine

:joystick:

Fly in echelon, and if you position your view right you should be able to keep the HUD in one side of the frame and your form buddy on the other in 16:9.

Seriously though, invest in TrackIR as soon as you can. It's a life changer, and i can't imagine doing air-to-air without it. I did A2G in the Hawg for a year or so without it; it's doable but DCS is much better with it.

TrackIR seems promising but I am already 50% in for an ultrawide for work, and I was hoping that DCS would help justify the rest. I don't know if the extra side real estate of ultrawide helps you see your buddy in echelon formation while view is centered (without needing trackir)

What about keeping your current monitor and getting a VR headset? I find VR helps a lot with most of flying phases.

for formation flying I would get VR.

hands down the best thing for precision flying. like formation flying, refuelling, or landing helicopters in impossible places.

I too used to think a 2d monitor and trackIR was enough.

but it is far, far easier in VR.

and VR is a lot cheaper than an ultra wide. exactly why I bought it three years ago.

I was looking at expensive ultra wides.. and took a gamble on the thing a third of the price.

never regretted it.

I'm definitely in for VR, but this thread is for a second PC. Can't justify buying a second reverb and all the necessary hardware to run it. :) This set up just needs to work "for now" / LAN.

Haven't tried VR, but from lurking in the forums it seems like some people have problems spotting targets and reading gauges, so keep that in mind. Outside of that though, I'll bet DCS is massively immersive with a VR headset

I hear the reverb is the go to for VR currently, and I hear its clarity is more than good enough (with 2080ti). The reverb I ordered comes in this weekend, so we'll see.