DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - Page 57 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-18-2016, 07:55 AM   #561
Ciribob
ED Testers Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-NRG View Post
There actually is more to radio frequencies than just power and range.
Things like atmospheric conditions
Adjacent frequencies
Actual frequency (imagine 100mHz vs 2000mHz)
Wiring length / installation (losses)

And some other considerations
But as there is not enough material to work on regarding that, I can only imagine how hard / impossible would be to code that in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
Also Polarisation losses, eg. If you bank, but I think that's a little bit too much for now, maybe on a later stage.
For now it looks quite good, especially for a generic radio.
OK, Different frequencys with different bandwidth and characteristics would be good.
Yes I know there is much much much more so I'm going for an approximation for now. I could spend years programming a radio propagation model ( all antennas are assumed uniform transmission power) let alone path loss as you say.

Actual frequency is taken into account in the friis equation already when you transmit but for now everything else is, I think, a little bit too far. Weather would have a big effect but I've no idea how to get that data or once I've got it, model the result so I'll leave for now as well.

Where I was trying to get too was is -90dBm a sensible receive sensitivity?

The original radio is -100 or so, so that 10dB loss is to simulate weather, polarisation, crappy antenna, etc

If you guys help fill in the table of receiving sensitivity and transmit power I could do it per radio. Link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...?usp=drive_web

Edit: LOS and distance tests worked well last night so should be good for Friday or even a release tonight

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required!
DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Last edited by Ciribob; 08-18-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Ciribob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:42 AM   #562
Gizzy

I think you have it absolutely spot on for the moment Cb.

Later you may wish to consider free space propagation methods in some bands but at the moment LOS is great.

Or if you are really, really bored, work out how to pop in the export.lua a method of measuring rain drop size distribution and spatial structure of the rain field used in DCS bad weather simulations and model the effect on attenuation and fade...

Far too many DCS modules, a black box full of expensive
gizmos, more controllers and buttons than the space shuttle,
a face mask and a big TV!
Gizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:39 PM   #563
Dutch Baron

GREAT WORK, CiriBob!

We in TAW tested it thoroughly last night and it works very good.

As a licensed radio amateur I can acknowledge all the things mentioned in the 5 previous posts are completely true, but that is I think just too much for CiriBob to take in account, like he says he could spend years making that model.

Is that worth it? I think not, it would be really cool though.
We should be REALLY happy with what he made already and it works already very much as in real life.
He is still going to add nice features like mic clicks, audio fading and white noise.

CiriBob is one of the biggest, or even THE biggest contributor to the DCS community, so we should give him some space to work on other projects as well oh and have a private life as well hahaha.

Keep up the great work man, you make our DCS lives even better!

Regards,

Dutch Baron TAW

Last edited by Dutch Baron; 08-18-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Dutch Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:56 PM   #564
Ciribob
ED Testers Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
I think you have it absolutely spot on for the moment Cb.

Later you may wish to consider free space propagation methods in some bands but at the moment LOS is great.

Or if you are really, really bored, work out how to pop in the export.lua a method of measuring rain drop size distribution and spatial structure of the rain field used in DCS bad weather simulations and model the effect on attenuation and fade...
Well.....

Just kidding, maybe one day

Thanks Dutch_Baron and everyone who has helped test or supplied information, its a great help.

Will hopefully get round to a release tonight

Edit: Just calculated - Max Range is 378,390 meters direct line of sight in 3d space for -90dBm (so height between transmitters matters)

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required!
DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Last edited by Ciribob; 08-18-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:47 PM   #565
Looney

Will Simpleradio also be available for JTACs and ATC in a MP enviroment?

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:15 PM   #566
Ciribob
ED Testers Team

New Release - Version v1.2.0.0

LUA files have changed again so make sure to use the installer to install / update or manually update. This is very important for the new Line of Sight and Distance system to work.

Change Log:
  • Fixed Audio Separation
  • Fixed Mig-21 Radio
  • Added Server Settings Window Client-side
  • Added Optional Line of Sight - Enforced Server Side
  • Added Optional Distance Limitations - Enforced Server Side

This is another big release and a lot has changed again so please report any bugs or odd behaviour. If you have issues with Line of Sight or Distance, they can be turned off individually server side. They're both pretty experimental features so please give feedback

Thanks again for all your help and support!

Distance Limit - For every transmission, the power of the received transmission is calculated (Friis Equation) based on radio power and the transmitting frequency. If the received transmission is under -90dBm, the transmission wont be heard. This setting is server side enforced.

Line of Sight - Line of sight between the player and all other players is calculated ever 0.2 seconds or so. If you're transmitting and dive into a valley, you may find transmissions cut off mid sentence! Again server side enforced. The line of sight is actually slightly offset above the aircraft to simulate radio waves slightly bending around the edge of the terrain

As always - Please let me know if you have issues so I can help solve them!

DOWNLOAD HERE - Unzip all files and Run the Installer: https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-Simpl...eleases/latest

Wiki - Manual + Help

Thanks to Nossarian, there is now a Wiki here which will eventually be a central place for all documentation. Big thank you for the help!

https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-Simpl...tandalone/wiki

Finally - I need your help!
If you'd like to help with this project, please help me fill in this sheet of radio info! It'll also help correct any mistakes I've made with the Radios.

LINK: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1869108790

Last edited by Ciribob; 08-18-2016 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:16 PM   #567
Ciribob
ED Testers Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Will Simpleradio also be available for JTACs and ATC in a MP enviroment?
Yes it already does. Eventually I'll be adding 10 radios for JTAC / ATC to use

Old 08-18-2016, 10:08 PM   #568
HiJack
Veteran

TAW SRS server is updated to 1.2.0.0 with Line of Sight and Distance limit ON. Set IP address in Simple Radio client to 37.59.10.136. You can play on any of our 4 servers.

Spoiler:

ASUS Z97-PRO, Socket-1150
Intel® Core i7-4770K Processor overclocked to @ 4.20 GHz
32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133MHz CL9 4x8GB
Sapphire Radeon TRI-X R9 390X 8GB "OC"
Samsung SSD 850PRO 1TB SSD
WD 2TB Black 3,5", SATA64MB Cache, Dual Processor, 7200RPM
Windows 7 64-bit
Philips 40" 4K LED BDM4065UC, ASUS 27” and Dell 24” screens
HiJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:36 AM   #569
Dojo

Hey Ciribob, sending this PURELY for inspiration purposes.

First short vid (45 secs) I'm using two programs here: Aries (mic clicks, distance effects, LoS). The second was Crosstalk to produce the radio voice effect. In this vid I'm listening to comms ~100nm away on Victor.

https://www.twitch.tv/bookerswift/v/18477789

Second vid, same flight, but I'm now within 500ft of the speaker.

https://www.twitch.tv/bookerswift/v/18478085

Again.... again... purely inspiration

Of course, we had to stop using Aries for the known stability issues, but alas, quality was pleasing. There's also plenty of really good Youtube BMS examples of solid "effects" should you be so inclined.

Last edited by Dojo; 08-19-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Dojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:45 AM   #570
Redacuragsr

hi Ciribob, Thank you for all your hard work that you put into simple radio, unfortunately I am having some problems using it and was hoping that you might suggest a a fix. I seem to be the only one out of all the people that I am using this with having a problem with echoing 3 times. My standard setup is to use my speakers for DCS sound and using a headphone jack microphone as a default communication device. At first I thought that it might be my speakers that are causing the echo, so I disconnected everything to make sure that there is no interference and don't have any other microphones connected, still no luck, I played around with every single settings in the recording device tab but nothing seems to work. I have also downloaded your updated (1.2.0.0) version today and noticed the following changes, now when I speak I can hear myself echoing as well, but before the update only others would be able to hear the echo....I hope that this may be helpful and will provide some clue.....oh and I am using windows 10. Please HELP!!!! Thanks a lot.
Redacuragsr is offline   Reply With Quote