UTC Mk II - professional wireless TrackClip Pro alternative

HAV

Hi HAV

I'm currently using an EDtracker mounted on the top of my headset, which works OK but only does pitch, yaw and roll, has to be calibrated every time I plug it in and is connected via a USB cable to my PC (which isn't really a problem as the headset is wired anyway).

I'm interested in getting a UTC to use instead with my PS3 Eye (internal filter already removed but I still need to get a decent filter to stick on the outside) but I'm not sure whether it will attach to my Samson SR850 headset securely. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samson-SR850-Professional-Reference-Headphones/dp/B002LBSEQS

I've attached a photo which shows how I've removed the circular parts on the sides with the brand name on (these are just pushed on with plastic pins so came off very easily) and stuck a velcro pad in their place. This works great for the microphone I've attached on one side (the mic is mounted to a piece of foamboard with the opposing velco stuck to it) but that probably wouldn't take the weight of the UTC or hold it secure enough, so I wonder if you have any ideas?

I guess I should get the 650mAh version to minimise the weight and I'm never going to fly for 8h straight, so I don't think it will be a problem to charge it ever night after I use it but I'd be interested to hear from others who have already bought the 650mAh version if they're happy with it or wish they'd bought one of the others.

1585540050_SamsonSR850.thumb.jpg.a6b4a22f666d8aad6cf271307655eaf8.jpg

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Hi doveman,

650 mAh user here. I used my UTC for a few months and I'm still perfectly satisfied with it.

I used/tested the USB power cable with a dry battery just to know how comfortable it would be (and it worked without any issue) but I still have to run out of juice during a normal session (never happened yet).

I used a piece of velcro (25 mm x 40 mm) on my headset (you can see a picture in a previous post) and it's stable enough. The UTC body/case is 55 mm x 40 mm x 15 mm.

HAV will be able to drop by to give the exact weight but I'd say it's light enough to forget you're wearing something on the headset (at least with my Logitech G930 which is not exactly super-lightweight).

I also never had to worry about how I move my head (e.g. quickly checking my six).

It's difficult to tell with your picture but if your velcro piece is around 20 mm diameter, it could be a bit weak for a comfortable stability. But it's difficult to tell without testing the unit.

Maybe you could could use a strong rubber band to attach the UTC just above the part where your velcro is already fixed?

It might be fine, directly attached to the velcro though. ;)

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Hi doveman. I'm using mine with Superlux HD681 headphones which are almost the same as your Samson model.

Mine UTC is mounted with double side foam tape and it's the biggest version - 1600 mAh, weights ~55g. Trully said, I barely feel any difference with or without UTC on my headphones.

UTC with 650 mAh weights ~35g.

Edited by HAV

VGD Devices UTC Mk II+

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi doveman,

650 mAh user here. I used my UTC for a few months and I'm still perfectly satisfied with it.

I used/tested the USB power cable with a dry battery just to know how comfortable it would be (and it worked without any issue) but I still have to run out of juice during a normal session (never happened yet).

I used a piece of velcro (25 mm x 40 mm) on my headset (you can see a picture in a previous post) and it's stable enough. The UTC body/case is 55 mm x 40 mm x 15 mm.

HAV will be able to drop by to give the exact weight but I'd say it's light enough to forget you're wearing something on the headset (at least with my Logitech G930 which is not exactly super-lightweight).

I also never had to worry about how I move my head (e.g. quickly checking my six).

It's difficult to tell with your picture but if your velcro piece is around 20 mm diameter, it could be a bit weak for a comfortable stability. But it's difficult to tell without testing the unit.

Maybe you could could use a strong rubber band to attach the UTC just above the part where your velcro is already fixed?

It might be fine, directly attached to the velcro though. ;)

Thanks Bourrinopathe, it's very useful to have feedback from a user.

I'm just looking at the Duracell USB rechargable battery I used with the (not very good) IR board I made a while ago, which says its capacity is 3.75v/1150 mAh (although it says its output is 5v/0.6A so it obviously has to step up the voltage). I didn't run into any problem with that running out when I was using it as long as I remembered to charge it, although I did have two of them so I could easily swap them over if I'd forgotten to charge one. If HAV's batteries are native 5v and don't have to step up/convert then I guess the 650 mAh one might last as long as these 3.75v/1150mAh ones though and I'm leaning towards the 650 mAh one to minimise the chance of any problems with the weight.

My velcro circles are about 18mm diameter, although the space on my headphones is about 25mm, so if I can find bigger velcro pieces I could use those. It might be better to use double-sided foam tape as HAV suggests but the velcro makes it easy to detach stuff when necessary, which I imagine wouldn't be so easy with foam tape.

I'm reluctant to rely on rubber bands as when I was using the IR board I made I found that anything attached above the centre of the board pulled it in so that the board didn't sit straight and as the headphone's band flexes that affected the alignment of the LEDS, although to be fair the material I was using for the board wasn't very strong so it may not have been a problem with something more rigid. Even so, if I can stick to just securing it on that one point on the side of the earpiece it will make it simpler.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Hi doveman. I'm using mine with Superlux HD681 headphones which are almost the same as your Samson model.

Mine UTC is mounted with double side foam tape and it's the biggest version - 1600 mAh, weights ~55g. Trully said, I barely feel any difference with or without UTC on my headphones.

UTC with 650 mAh weights ~35g.

Here's a little promo pics of UTC Mk II which hasn't been posted yet ;)

Hi HAV

What's all this about a UTC Mk II and when can I buy it? I can't possibly buy a Mk I if there's a new, improved version on the horizon ;)

Hah yeah, your Superlux headphones look just like the twin of my Samson ones! Good to know you don't notice the weight of the 1600 mAh UTC when mounted.

With the foam tape, is it possible to separate the UTC from the headphones and then stick it back on, or would I have to dispose of the tape and use a new piece if I needed to separate them?

UTC Mk II has piece of sticky velcro (3x4 cm) in box, so you don't need to find anything.

Foam tape is rather permanent. If you'd like to separate them, you'll probably need new piece of tape (you need to cut it out, cause it's too strong).

Some people use zip ties with foam tape attached, it all depends what headphones are you using.

Edited by HAV

VGD Devices UTC Mk II+

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For anyone thinking of ordering one of these, I've received mine now and I'm very impressed with the build quality and how well my PS3 Eye picks up the LEDs, even without a visibile light filter (I've removed the internal IR filter), so I can heartily recommend it.

I still need to work out the right settings to use in OpenTrack though. It might be complicated by the fact that my PS3 Eye is on top of my monitor, about 1ft above my ear and pointing down at it, so if anyone can advise what settings to use to make such a setup work well, or can just share their ini file, that'd be great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey HAV,

Nice product. :thumbup:

How long before you ship once the order is received...

Also is Mk III on its way or is it still Mk II?:noexpression:

Check Six!!!_:gun_sniper:_:pilotfly:

||R7-2700X||ASUS ROG STRIX-X470F Gaming||GSKILL-TridentZRGB 16GBDDR4 3200C14||CORSAIR RM 1000X||SAPPHIRE RX 7900 XTX 24GB OC||WARTHOG HOTAS||:gun_smilie:

I haven't had much time to play with my UTC since I received but just had another go and I'm still struggling to get the right settings in OpenTrack. I'm getting loads of X, Y, Z output when only yawing or pitching my head.

I don't know if the position of the camera, on top of my monitor so a bit above my head, is causing the problems but I imagine most people have it there. I've done the calibration routine in OT as shown here

but that hasn't helped.

I've uploaded a video showing the problems. After centering, I yawed left and right, then pitched up and down, then rolled left and right.

I tried to show the settings at the end of the video but it seems OBS didn't record the popup windows, so I've attached screenshots showing my Camera and Model settings.

EDIT: I've also attached my ini file for OT now as well (had to change the extension from .ini to .txt to upload it).

1586043708_OTCamera.png.f4d62e4da1a91c05205c004581f27339.png

1437007451_OTModel.png.14aaff77776121d3692545b0c3ebc412.png

ArmA3 (Pointtracker).txt

Edited by doveman
Attach ini file

No worries HAV, I'll ask around to see if anyone who's using Opentrack can assist me.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sim_UK.jpg

Today I'd like to share with you the first official review of UTC II, my personal project that started over a year ago...

Few weeks ago, Mike from Sim UK asked me if I'd like to participate in review of TrackIR alternatives that he's preparing.

As for now, there are three competitors: TrackHat, EdTracker and UTC II.

You can see the review of UTC II below, together with two others, have fun :music_whistling:

Edited by HAV

VGD Devices UTC Mk II+

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice review congrats.

After 2 of these but as both mine and my sons pro-clips are still holding together, (barely), I'll what to see what rev III brings to the table.

---------------

MSI GD65 Gaming | i7 4770k Haswell @ 4.7ghz, | H110 water cooler | 32Gb ddr3 | Sound Blaster Zx | MSI GTX 1080Ti | 1x 250Gb SSD's + 2x 500Gb SSD |

Acer Predator 34" (3440x1440) | TrackiR 5 + UTC Light | Win 10 Pro 64bit | 2x Thrustmaster MFD's | MFG Crosswinds (ordered) | Thrustmaster Warthog :smartass:

--------------------

Here are some pics from the UTC MKII. I have been using a trackir 4 with the hat clip and it is such a frustrating piece of equipment. It was a whole production to get the clip/trackir positioned right and even then, the camera would loose track of the hat clip due to occlusion.

When the UTC arrived, I was pleasantly surprised to see the quality. After reading/watching horrible reviews of the official trackir pro clip, this is just absolutely one sleek/well designed piece of equipment. It has a nice minimalistic look to it. It is very light and the LED are very discrete yet powerful enough for the camera to keep track. Even at larger than normal use angles, the UTC never lost tracking and it is just works. it is truly an amazing example of the ingenuity in this community. Great job Bart.

Here are some pics. I don't use headphones to play, so I mounted it with the provided velcro piece to my BOSE over ear headphones. It is very light and works perfectly. The battery lasts a long time (enough for my average play sessions in a whole week). It charges with a nice subtle red LED that switches to green when done.

32504145123_a6d20e2523_b.jpg 33318322585_d6f8ae6023_b.jpg 32475619614_ddc2763a53_b.jpg 32504157323_3ba57b8ceb_b.jpg 32504154933_7fa5c687fe_b.jpg 32475621854_3c895bb42f_b.jpg 32475621174_a9c966ec5f_b.jpg 32504150413_e6bd2f8c2a_b.jpg

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Looking at the images witchking posted are the LED's/arms sitting further forward than they do on a proclip? I was wondering if they are more visible in ones peripheral vision like that?

---------------

MSI GD65 Gaming | i7 4770k Haswell @ 4.7ghz, | H110 water cooler | 32Gb ddr3 | Sound Blaster Zx | MSI GTX 1080Ti | 1x 250Gb SSD's + 2x 500Gb SSD |

Acer Predator 34" (3440x1440) | TrackiR 5 + UTC Light | Win 10 Pro 64bit | 2x Thrustmaster MFD's | MFG Crosswinds (ordered) | Thrustmaster Warthog :smartass:

--------------------