wanted: largest/best primary display -- please recommend

i'm in the market for a primary display (already have 27-in touchscreen)

currently using 21-in LCD monitor as my display

yes, i've read this thread - but a lot of the recommended displays are european, and i'm not sure those models are available in the US (or, simply not released yet)

i'd "like" 4k - but i realize getting the framerates and 120Hz is probably not going to be possible w/ todays video cards

so.. i'd like 1440p, preferably 120Hz - as large as possible

i'm finding 32-in (albeit 60Hz) and 27-in ----- but would prefer larger - 44-in, even up to 55-in - but i am not seeing those sizes in 1440p

i've been advised against using a television - even though they offer the largest pure SIZE

so.. idunno ---- i'm putting this out to the community - what would you recommend?

do you know of a larger 1440p/120Hz monitor that i just haven't found yet?

would you recommend going with a TV anyway, even though quality isn't "as good" as a computer monitor??

i'm interested in your response...

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I bought an LG 34" widescreen monitor and love it.. 3440x1440 so a lot of real estate but not as much required to drive it as a comparable 4K monitor would be..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2RY1P38086&cm_re=lg_monitor_ips-_-24-005-635-_-Product

Warning that you can only get the full 3440x1440 if you use the Displayport or the Thunderbird inputs... (I believe that HDMI can get the full amount of pixels but only at half the refresh rate making it 33mhz and that is totally unacceptable for gaming...) Displayport is the way to go but make sure your video card HAS a displayport output.. Also, the monitor comes with a 6 foot cable so if you need to go further you will need to ORDER a longer one off the net as they are impossible to find anywhere.. (I know I tried)

I am driving this thing with an Nvidia GTX770 and I would say that is about as low as I would go to run this beast.. You may be able to run at lower settings with a lesser card but I really wouldn't try it myself.. Recommend a 770GTX or better..

And for the record no I would not go with a TV even though a lot of real estate, the resolution is too low and blocky looking.. Immersion killer in my opinion... A larger screen isn't very beneficial; if your resolution isn't high enough.. Otherwise you just have really big pixels in your face... (Once again just my opinion..)

Now a 62" 4K TV? Now THAT would be awesome.. But you would need TITANs in SLI to run the damn thing!

Edited by outlawal2
  • Like 1

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

The new ROG Swift PG278Q sounds like it's just right for you. Also there's nothing lower quality about a TV, especially a high-end one, but if resolution's what you're talking about, yeah at larger sizes 1080p is going to look a little pixelated.

I'm using a cheap 50" 4K TV (Seiki) right now as my monitor, solid VA panel but at 30 hz only, which works out well enough for DCS where the instruments and cockpit stay still and the terrain moves by relatively slowly, but isn't optimal. I don't know that I would trade it for a smaller screen, though, even at 120 hz, because 120 fps isn't going to happen in DCS at this point, and I like the FOV.

• Like 1

I was running DCS on a 52" Sharp Aquos LCD (1080p), but switched back to my 3 24" monitors. Mostly because of the blockiness (especially text) on the tv, but I also had a lot of trouble getting the colors right. But I am going to see what happens if I use the 52" at about 4 ft away and then set up 2 of the 24's at 30 degrees but closer to me than the tv. And then use the other 24 for gauges or helios ;)

• Like 1

Asrock z68 Extreme4Gen3

Intel i5-2500K

8GB ram

EVGA GTX 770 4GB

Creative Recon3d Fatality Champion

HDD's

320 GB Maxtor 7200RPM (OS and misc system files)

1 TB Hitachi 7200 RPM (games and music, storage)

64 GB Sandisk u100 SSD (Star Wars and DCS world 1.2.7)

Trackir 4

Saitek X65F:joystick:

Saitek X52 (Use flightstick for helo and WWII Sims, but X65 throttle)

CH Pro pedals

Thrustmaster MFD's

Logitech X5500 Speakers

Sennheiser PC360 Headphones

Win 7 Home Premium (64 Bit)