GB-6 range seems short compared to spec - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-13-2019, 08:13 PM   #21
ShadowFrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchstick View Post
Do we know if anyone has tried this specific test yet ?

If not I'll see if I can set it up over the weekend.

(I'm meaning to test out the GB-6 generally so makes sense to give these specific conditions a try)
Those given conditions are for the LS-6, I was just citing as an example and that you could test against those. But for any reference max range, you need to have launch parameters similar to those of what I reference for the LS-6 for any comparison to be accurate. Which I probably will at some point. But even then, you assume that the source is accurate, which I dont. But it still wouldn't hurt to test against.

Unfortunately, I have not seen any launch conditions for the GB-6 stated max range so there is not much to go on in terms of testing for accuracy on our end.

Last edited by ShadowFrost; 12-13-2019 at 08:16 PM.
ShadowFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:08 PM   #22
witness_me

best i've been able to get out of the jeff is around 45-46nm (~83km?) EDIT: that wasn't using the loadout in the test mission i attached below - i was trying something somewhat realistic, like 2 * pl5's and 2 gb6's

the munition manufacturer is claiming range X if you release it from height Y going at Z knots (with no crosswinds maybe etc) - maybe because the jeff is a small one engine plane it can't match the optimal conditions?

i attached a simple mission if you want to do more tests - my optimal release conditions were : 36k ft, doing (almost) mach 0.9 -- EDIT: using the load-out in the mission, but having dropped the tank in advance for the extra ooomph

the loadout is one gb6 carrying sensor fused submunitions, one normal. There's 2 targets, a cross-like formation of infantry men around 7 ft from each other (for science!) and 4 t90s in a cross pattern. There's 2 preprogrammed map points so you can deploy using pp mode. What's located at each PP is in the mission briefing

there's also 2 * ls6 in case there's any survivors
Attached Files
File Type: miz jf17 TARGET PRACTICE MISSION (gb6 and ls6).miz (12.0 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by witness_me; 12-15-2019 at 12:33 AM.
witness_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:13 PM   #23
Tippis

Quote:
Originally Posted by witness_me View Post
best i've been able to get out of the jeff is around 45-46nm

the munition manufacturer is claiming range X if you release it from height Y going at Z knots (with no crosswinds maybe etc) - maybe because the jeff is a small one engine plane it can't match these optimal conditions?
This sounds like a very plausible explanation. In addition, there's also the difference between what's actually possible and what the aircraft reports as remotely likely — if all you're going by is the release cue on the HSI page, chances are that this is based on rather cautious assumptions rather than the absolute maximum.
Tippis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:28 PM   #24
witness_me

i was thinking the same but in some tests, when i was releasing exactly when the dotted line to the target was turning solid in the hsi or just a couple of seconds afterwards, the weapon wouldn't be able to reach the targets

also the targeting computer doesn't seem to be taking into account submunition release altitudes, i.e. if you set the release altitude to 1.5k ft the minimum distance indicator will be the same as in say a release altitude of 300ft, although i didn't test that thoroughly and i'm likely to deny i ever made that claim if proven wrong
Old 12-14-2019, 08:53 PM   #25
AeriaGloria

Not sure BR altitude and the altitude in the CNTRL menu are working yet. Atleast for GB-6
AeriaGloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:01 PM   #26
Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by witness_me View Post
best i've been able to get out of the jeff is around 45-46nm
Not surprising as your test aircraft is flying at 98% Max GTW.

• 2*GB6 + 2*LS-6 + 800L Tank + 100% Fuel = 26,905 lbs / 27,558 lbs

Even with just 2*GB6, you'll be lucky to get the speed and altitude necessary for a 50 NM shot until you've dropped the first GB6 (they have a lot of drag) or burn't off some of your fuel.

Adding the external fuel tank and 2*LS-6, increases the test mission's flexibility but the range of the glide bombs is reduced as you can't get as high or as fast as you could, without the additional weight/drag.

Quote:
my optimal release conditions were : 36k ft, doing (almost) mach 0.9
IMHO for a long range GB6 shot you should be looking for a max speed/cruise altitude in the 45-55,000 ft range (your test aircraft's max ceiling is likely below this due to it's weight/drag).
Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:25 AM   #27
witness_me

yeah of course if you dump everything you can get a longer range, you can do that in the test mission if you hit sms -> jett -> select all the stations you want to dump and hit the weapon release button. I was just providing that figure earlier as a reference, given that it was kind of in the same ballpark as the numbers the OP was seeing (assuming he was also going for realistic-ish loadouts)... which thinking about it didn't make too much sense as i didn't provide much context in my previous post

the max range i mentioned earlier was with 2 * gb 6 and 2 * pl 5's for self defence. The tank was dropped before releasing the weapons both for the extra speed and well because you wouldn't carry one during an engagement

with just one gb 6 i think my longest successful hit was at around 63-64 miles (EDIT : around 113/114km)

if someone wants to do that they'd probs have to equip a gb6 and a tank (not sure that would work either), as assymetric loadouts are not allowed i think

Last edited by witness_me; 12-15-2019 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:28 AM   #28
witness_me

forgot to mention - the single gb6 test was at 49k ft (i think you can't input 50 or more in the autopilot), whatever max speed you could get with one gb6 at that height around 1.6mach i think

long story short, the jeff is no tomcat so use the akg if you want to reach far behind enemy lines

Last edited by witness_me; 12-15-2019 at 12:40 AM.