Stepped into the looking glass - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-14-2019, 11:14 PM   #11
Wicked.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big.”Biggs” View Post
Which setting makes the trees stop growing right before your eyes as you fly thu the mountains? Is it just low fps?
Thanks

Agree with Svsmokey but I've found anything lower than 70 and they will grow in front of you.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.
Wicked.- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:18 PM   #12
Wicked.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagilem View Post
@biggs - Welcome to the wonderful world of trial and error to make your headset perform better! LOL

I'll give you my settings below, but first wanted to state there are many settings that can be changed and will give different levels of performance. For me, my litmus test is flying the standard PG free flight in Dubai in the F-18. I look to fly the AC down the line of railway tracks from one end of Dubai to the other with the frame time graph up in the HMD. I look for a consistant 18-20MS with NO RED during the flight with maneuvering - usually a few slow barrel rolls in the part between city scapes since there are so many small buildings.

You can always make the game look prettier, but it comes at a cost (one which I am unwilling to pay ).

Personally, I do very little image adjustment in DCS. I put all textures to high, no msaa or ssaa, both shadows to flat, Anisiotropic filtering to 4x, grass off, trees at 60%, with preload max and object visibility set to high. PD stays at 1.

For me, setting the nvidia settings of FXAA on and Negative LOD set to clamp is working well. People will say FXAA hurts spotting - and while that is true, again, for me, I need some AA (and all AA hurts spotting). Aliasing with no AA kills the immersion for me with major shimmering. I also tried MSAA with MFAA and just MSAA - both of those pushed my frame times up 2-4 MS on average, which caused stuttering and other artifacts unless I dropped the over all resolution down to 150%/100% in Steam (which still caused Frame times in the 19-20MS range and noticeably less clarity). FXAA seems to take down the some of the shimmer without killing the performance. I also put some of the other texture settings on quality to help with how things look in game and set the card for max performance.

The big fix for me is to set up Steam for 148% video super sampling with 138% app and also set the motion smooth to always on. You will always get motion smoothing, like it or not, but forcing it on actually works better in my mind because the switch from no MS to MS causes stuttering. I think I left the advanced super sampling slider on steam as well. I also don't push the headset beyond 80hz since I never get un-motion smoothed flights at 80 frames throughout the flight and I cannot really see much difference between 40 and 45 frames.

These settings give a nice balance of in game performance with little aliasing or shimmer. I can take a low flight over the streets of Dubai with frame times in the 16-20 MS range, little to no stuttering, no red frame times, and FPS sticking at 40 frames.

YMMV

The above is the third hybrid way I mentioned and like Nagilem I use this method as well. I tend to use the 148% CR / 138% DCS Application SS or 204% CR only and everything else at 100% depending on SteamVR beta and DCS updates and their effects.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Last edited by Wicked.-; 12-15-2019 at 04:43 AM.
Wicked.- is offline   Reply With Quote