[REPORTED]Engine still runs with throttle in the stop position

hazzer

I was trying but it seems that on my end engine is turning off w/o problems via throttle.

I will tell that i had this bug couple patches ago but it happen to me only once and never appeared again.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• ED Team

Thank you everyone for the tracks, I have had trouble reproducing this but the tracks do show it happening and I have reported it to the team for investigation.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 3 weeks later...

Bought the Anton today and I have no problems reproducing this issue, as it happens 100% in every single flight :D. Playing offline only. Glad to see it reported, though I'm puzzled by why BN and others cannot see it. Same story as in OP's case - the only way to kill the engine for good is to turn off the magnetos.

Maybe it's controller-related? I've got throttle-idle and throttle-start commands assigned to the 3-position bottom right switch on my TH Warthog throttle unit, just like in my Dora. Haven't tried operating them using default keyboard commands yet. All my missions so far were also cold-started, wonder what happens in air-started ones.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Bought the Anton today and I have no problems reproducing this issue, as it happens 100% in every single flight :D. Playing offline only. Glad to see it reported, though I'm puzzled by why BN and others cannot see it. Same story as in OP's case - the only way to kill the engine for good is to turn off the magnetos.

Maybe it's controller-related? I've got throttle-idle and throttle-start commands assigned to the 3-position bottom right switch on my TH Warthog throttle unit, just like in my Dora. Haven't tried operating them using default keyboard commands yet. All my missions so far were also cold-started, wonder what happens in air-started ones.

Glad it isn't just me! I've tried with my controllers unplugged and it made no difference, which makes sense since it is literally either on or off.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

ED is guilty of 1. a misnomer in the command binding screen, and of 2. not having provided a combined Stop/Idle command.

The command that appears as "Throttle to IDLE" is in reality the "Throttle to Stop" command. And the one that appears as "Throttle to START" is really the "Throttle to IDLE" command.

I have combined the two into a single command in the file "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.lua" by adding this line:

{down = iCommandLeftEngineStop, up = iCommandLeftEngineStart, name = _('Throttle 2-Pos. OFF/IDLE'), category = _('Engine Control')},

This creates the new command "Throttle 2-Pos. OFF/IDLE". I bind this command to the throttle lever switch in the Warthog throttle (JOY_BTN29). This works perfectly for cold start and shutdown. The switch activates when you move the throttle lever over the "hump" from IDLE to OFF or vice versa. For me this works every time.

By the way, the problem is exactly the same with the Dora, and so is the solution.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

It never happened in my Dora, however (despite the same controller assignments).

Similar thing happens in Mustang nowadays when pilot cuts off the mixture in-flight - will submit it as a bug later. I suspect these two issues are related.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

It never happened in my Dora, however (despite the same controller assignments).

Similar thing happens in Mustang nowadays when pilot cuts off the mixture in-flight - will submit it as a bug later. I suspect these two issues are related.

I've noticed with the mustang on shutdown the engine still tries to fire with the mixture in cut off but the mags on. The engine dies down then picks up rpm like more fuel is getting into the engine even though the mixture in cut off should prevent that.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

Thanks for pointing this out. Fixed the manual, will be updated with next update cycle.

you should also:

1. correct the name of the command to "Throttle to Stop" because the current name "Throttle to Idle" is wrong and misleading.

2. add this command to the "default.lua":

{down = iCommandLeftEngineStop, up = iCommandLeftEngineStart, name = _('Throttle 2-Pos. OFF/IDLE'), category = _('Engine Control')},

This would benefit the many users of the TM WH throttle who can use this command for both shut-down and cold start.

The above applies to both versions of the FW-190!

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Yay, I've finally seen engine stopping correctly for the first time - after one of air-started default missions (landing tutorial maybe...). That lead me to suspect oil temperature might be the factor here (in my own cold-started missions I don't fly long enough to heat it up above 60 degrees).

So I made a longer cold-started mission waiting for the oil to hit at least 100 degrees (like in default air started ones), then land. Nope, engine still kept firing every few seconds...

I'll go through all default missions and see how the circuit breakers are set up in those - maybe the bug is caused by some electrical system glitch?

Yay, I've finally seen engine stopping correctly for the first time - after one of air-started default missions (landing tutorial maybe...). That lead me to suspect oil temperature might be the factor here (in my own cold-started missions I don't fly long enough to heat it up above 60 degrees).

So I made a longer cold-started mission waiting for the oil to hit at least 100 degrees (like in default air started ones), then land. Nope, engine still kept firing every few seconds...

I'll go through all default missions and see how the circuit breakers are set up in those - maybe the bug is caused by some electrical system glitch?

Interesting, I've noticed it has worked sometimes but mostly not. Just like in the p51 sometimes it still tries to run and then other times it shuts down properly when mixture is cut off

I cannot see how CB problems could cause the failure of the engine to stop. Also, the CB issues we had for some time have been fixed quite a while ago.

The issue some people have is really puzzling me. When I move the throttle from Idle to Off, the engine stops within less than 5 seconds. Every time. Yes, it seems to find a few drops of fuel sometimes and tries to keep running, but that's finished in seconds.

LeCuvier

After some more flying today I can say that the engine stops perfectly in custom and default hot-started missions, no matter if hot on ramp, or on runway, or airstart.

As soon as I do any cold-start mission though, it doesn't want to stop, ever.

There must be some difference in the airplane systems status in both cases. but I haven't managed to narrow it down.

• ED Team

We are having problems reproducing this on our dev build.

If any one has another short track please attach it.

thanks

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

After some more flying today I can say that the engine stops perfectly in custom and default hot-started missions, no matter if hot on ramp, or on runway, or airstart.

As soon as I do any cold-start mission though, it doesn't want to stop, ever.

There must be some difference in the airplane systems status in both cases. but I haven't managed to narrow it down.

I did some tests too, no problems on my end

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

As long as the engine is drawing air and there is fuel entering the pistons it will keep running, as it should. Throttle to idle does not mean that the engine should stop.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

As long as the engine is drawing air and there is fuel entering the pistons it will keep running, as it should. Throttle to idle does not mean that the engine should stop.

Thank you captain obvious, but that's the point of this whole thread - the engine keeps sputtering (with manifold pressure jumping between 0.6 and 1.05 ATA) and doesn't want to stop even after throttle lever is moved from idle to "throttle stop" position, which should, I believe, work like "cutoff" position in Allied airplanes (and so it perfectly does in Dora 9).

Short track attached. Recorded in today's Open Beta, no mods (apart from Reshade), no controllers plugged in apart from mouse and keyboard. Auto start sequence, followed by a few minutes of warmup, followed by moving throttle to "throttle stop" position.

When I played it, I admit the engine did stop eventually, but it happened after 1 minute 55 seconds - a "bit" too long for an engine supposedly without air-fuel mixture, I'd say.

Since replays of Anton-8 are notoriously unreliable, when playing the track afterwards on my PC, the engine stopped after 1 minute 38 seconds.

Maybe previously I wasn't waiting long enough, but still - in hot-started missions the engine quits within few seconds, as expected.

2.5.5_190A_test2.trk

Edited by Art-J

• 3 weeks later...

Problem encountered on MP (Burning Skies)

I fly mostly in SP, and there I've never encountered the problem. But today I played in NORMANDY ANTICIPATION, and at the end of my sortie after landing, I set the throttle to OFF and the engine kept running in a sputtering mode. I had to set the Magneto switch to OFF in order to stop the engine.

LeCuvier

• 1 month later...
  • ED Team

Hi all

If you are still seeing this please attach your short track replays showing it. On our tests we can no longer reproduce the issue.

Please check your inputs and axis and ensure the throttle is fully in the cutoff position.

thank you

Edited by BIGNEWY

I didn't encounter problem with this. Only variation i can see is the engine time to stop changes a little bit, sometime it stops quick sometime take a little bit more time but never ever kept running indefinitely on my end.

I fly only MP

• ED Team
I didn't encounter problem with this. Only variation i can see is the engine time to stop changes a little bit, sometime it stops quick sometime take a little bit more time but never ever kept running indefinitely on my end.

I fly only MP

Thanks for the feedback

We are having trouble reproducing this, it maybe fixed or be a axis tune issue.

I just re-tested in OB, multi-player and I still see this problem.

When I moved the throttle to OFF (not IDLE), the engine kept running with varying RPM and manifold pressure periodically jumping to 1.0 ata. I moved the fuel tank selector level all the way down, and it kept running. When I popped the two CB's for Tank Pumps out the engine stopped instantly.

Instead of the tank pumps, I can also use the magneto to stop the engine.

To be clear: This happens only in MP.

PS: How could this be a throttle tuning issue? I'm using the command "Throttle to Stop" (equiv. to RAlt + END) using the built-in switch in the lever of my WH throttle module. That reliably stops the engine in SP and it should do the same in MP.

Edit: I set deadzone = 2 for the throttle and tried again. It doesn't make a difference.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier