Worse FPS/Perfomance With GTX 1070 vs GTX 970?

I feel like I wasted 500 bucks! I got overall better performance from my 970 than I get in my new 1070 SC.

I would get the occasional stutter with my 970. But the frames were not that bad. I would get 60 frames almost everywhere. Now I get 35 on the ground and some serious stutters in light combat.

Intel I9 9900K, Asus Prime Z390-P, 32 GB GDDR4, GeForce RTX 2080, 1TB Samsung SDD, TM WartHog, Oculus Rift/TrackIR 5

Products: FC3/F-5/F-16/F-18/F-14/Persian Gulf/Nevada

While I can't speak for your particular card, I can say that I have no issues with my 1070. While each individual instance will cause +/- a few frames, rarely do I ever fall below 55 fps, and usually average somewhere between 65-85 fps at max settings.

I understand the 1070 has a higher potential power draw, so your PSU may be causing the GFX card to throttle itself down.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

I have a 750w power supply. The card calls for a 500. I am covered for power.

Intel I9 9900K, Asus Prime Z390-P, 32 GB GDDR4, GeForce RTX 2080, 1TB Samsung SDD, TM WartHog, Oculus Rift/TrackIR 5

I would also check in msi afterburner what your GPU is doing, make sure it doesn't look like this when flying.

gpuusage.jpg

Zig Zig bad, the GPU is not getting fed.

Is your i5 4690k overclocked?

This is what my GPU msi graph looks like on max DCS settings a few patches ago @ 5 Ghz it should hold 100% most of the time.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I have a 750w power supply. The card calls for a 500. I am covered for power.

Ah, nice. Looking at benchmarks it ought to outperform 970 as I'm sure you've already checked up on, though results will vary from program to program.

Have you tested the cards in turn with anything else, like another game, or better yet a benchmark like Superposition from Unigine to see if this is DCS, or the card/PC?

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

It is not overclocked. It has a turbo boost function.

No matter what my settings are, the FPS is the same. Low, high, medium.

Also, are you using the latest DCS beta build?

Updated Nvidia drivers.

What settings are you running? screen shot print screen on key board

C:Users"yourname"Saved Games DCS (Beta etc) screenshot

There is a new settings in DCS beta that should not be used when @ 1080p. it's at the bottom left, options = 1.5 or 2.0 TURN this off if on. Not at home right now cannot remember name a screenshot will help.

The only way to check if Your CPU at boost only 3.9 Ghz is feeding the 1070, is with MSI afterburner.

Also check your Nvidia settings

-

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

The MSI AB readouts for both GPU and CPU usage are a steady 2/3 used and it's consistent. I have pretty high settings but the frame issue happens NO MATTER WHAT setting I use. I only have MSAA and AF turned on.

I feel like I wasted 500 bucks! I got overall better performance from my 970 than I get in my new 1070 SC.

I would get the occasional stutter with my 970. But the frames were not that bad. I would get 60 frames almost everywhere. Now I get 35 on the ground and some serious stutters in light combat.

if you flying Hornet right now with shadow on,then even 1080ti can't get good FPS as others.cause now hornet getting a real bad performance!

Something isn't right here?

You are using the new latest DCS beta right?

Perhaps uninstall the driver with the DDU to wipe it out completely and try a new driver reinstall. Download the latest driver too.

This is what you should be getting close to.

While I can't speak for your particular card, I can say that I have no issues with my 1070. While each individual instance will cause +/- a few frames, rarely do I ever fall below 55 fps, and usually average somewhere between 65-85 fps at max settings.

45ookxP.jpg

your setting look to be pretty achievable... might also want to

1.try maxing out your preload radius...

2.and maybe getting rid of motion blur and dirt and flare temporarily.. if that doesnt yield any better results, you may want to

3.Repair DCS Open Beta,

4.Reset Nvidia Control Panel options to default,

5.delete fxo and metashaders2 files and let dcs rebuild them the next time you start it... and then test setting again...

6.and sometimes, its just a good idea to uninstall and re-install DCS.. but id say try it in that order... one by one.

also, i would recommend using Vsync unless you are trying for higher than 60fps for some reason.

additionally... as stated by the previous three posts, the Shadows are bitchy... go with flat.

Edited by DflippinK

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

Shadow can really tank your frame rate. Turn it to flat or low and see what happens. I have to turn it off in VR in order to get decent FPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Use DflippinK's advice about drivers, shader folders etc., cause that sure as hell ain't the performance you should be getting from that card. Something's amiss. 1070 user here, with similar settings to yours, not dropping below 60 fps even on 1440p rez.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Use DflippinK's advice about drivers, shader folders etc., cause that sure as hell ain't the performance you should be getting from that card. Something's amiss. 1070 user here, with similar settings to yours, not dropping below 60 fps even on 1440p rez.

Agreed... but credit for drivers in this thread must go to @David OC... and completely agree with that advice as well.. DDU is the optimum means of clean driver installs...

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

New drivers didn't help either. It's mainly the shadows and the F-18C that is causing the low FPS. I get 60-120 FPS in the FC3 aircraft.

It also seems that the pit sounds (EW warning and etc) has an effect. Could my on board sound be causing it?

anyway on PG map even with a 1080ti + i7 7700k@5 5ghz my fps drops below 60 fps....is that normal?

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

The F-18 model isnt very optimized yet, and it hits performance quite hard, especially with shadows on, compared to any other module in DCS.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I did everything that DflippinK recommended.

Still have crap performance. It does pretty good with the stock aircraft.

What refresh rate should I be running?

I did everything that DflippinK recommended.

Still have crap performance. It does pretty good with the stock aircraft.

What refresh rate should I be running?

for a standard monitor, you should be running 60hz..

1.do you have an Eco mode switch on your power supply?

2.when was the last time you updated your chipset and motherboard drivers?

3.are you running any monitoring software for GPU (MSI Afterburner or

Precision XOC)?

4.Which driver are you running for the 1070 and how was it installed?

5.Are you using Nvidia Geforce Experience or any of its features?

6.what are your settings in Nvidia control panel?

7.What are your power options set to in Windows 10?

8.Which build of Windows 10 are you running

9.How many processes do you usally have running on your system?

10.When was the last time you uninstalled and re-installed DCS open beta completely including removing it from your user/saved games folder?

for a standard monitor, you should be running 60hz..

Changed that.

1.do you have an Eco mode switch on your power supply?

Not that I am aware of. I have a Corsair 750m

2.when was the last time you updated your chipset and motherboard drivers?

Two Days ago.

3.are you running any monitoring software for GPU (MSI Afterburner or

Precision XOC)?

MSI Afterburner. Readouts were pretty steady. The game does not even max out the CPU or GPU.

4.Which driver are you running for the 1070 and how was it installed?

Just switched from Newest to 388.71. Better performance, for me.

5.Are you using Nvidia Geforce Experience or any of its features?

Not at all. I hate all of the extras that come with Nvidia.

6.what are your settings in Nvidia control panel?

Just switched to pre-rendered frames to 1. Single Display Performance mode (today). Max Perfomance power mode.

7.What are your power options set to in Windows 10?

8.Which build of Windows 10 are you running

I have Windows 7. Should I upgrade? I also have an SATA Samsung 850 EVO SSD. Should I upgrade to a 950 PCI-E Version? The Read/Write difference is staggering.

9.How many processes do you usally have running on your system?

44 and I tweaked it.

10.When was the last time you uninstalled and re-installed DCS open beta completely including removing it from your user/saved games folder?

Last night.

I will say that I get 60 now almost across the board now. Even on the free-flight PG Hornet mission. No more drops when turning. It does drop when other Hornets are around on the Tarmac but only to the 50s.

ok it sounds like you are doing well with settings... and no you do not need anything faster than an 850evo...

and sorry i thought you were on win 10..

when you re installed your Nvidia driver, did you use DDU from Wagnardsoft?

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/