Backing up controls? Need help? Read HERE!

Oscar Juliet

So I did a clean install of windows 10 way back when and backed up my controls when I had windows 7. That has nothing to do with what I'm about to tell you. I couldn't figure out how to make my old controls my new controls. Since I spent time and effort mapping to my CH products for the A10c. It sucked when it didn't work.

Credit: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=100998

Go here: Users>"Your PC name>Saved Games>DCS>Config>Input and backup all those files. These are what you will put in your new install of DCS.

So you copy and paste the old saved files into the new area. Load DCS and wonder why your controls aren't there.

Credit: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=146564

Click in the category of your controls and hit the load button at the top. Select the right file for the right control. It will load into the game.

So now you have a bunch of red icons. Why is that? What is the red?

Credit: http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/showthread.php?45417-Red-sections-in-DCS-controls

You just have to remake your modifiers most of the time which was my case. All my red controls were modifier based.

1) Backup Control Files

2) Overwrite Control Files

3) Load Control Files

4) Fix Modifiers to fix red control issues.

I spent a long time not playing DCS because of the control issue. An hour or so of tinkering and digging got me back on track. I really hope his helps a lot of people.

• Like 3

Thank you for posting this. I used it to make using my A-10 controls the same in DCS world 2 from DCS world 1 without having it take a long time.

WIN10-64 HOME Ryzen9 3900x 4.0GHZ, 32GB DDR4, RX6800xt, 1TSSD  Reverb G2, F-14 Simpit (WIP)

Virpil Collective 60 head, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals, TM MFDs, 5 Leo Bodnar boards.

• 6 months later...

Yes, the whole controls thing is a pain. See here.

Basically there is an issue on a reinstall of Windows as the devices have different ID numbers.

So, all you need to do is load your old ones in (as 'load profiles', I think) for each device, and DCS will automatically save them as new, compatible versions.

Then, you just copy the whole config folder from 1.5 to 2.1 or vice versa.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The controls thing is simple.

1. Go to '(user/savedgames/dcsalpha)'

2. copy input folder

3. paste folder into new installation in the same directory and thats it!

You're missing the point. We are talking about on a reinstall of Windows here.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

It would still be a LOT simpler if there were a "save all/load all" button, instead of having to "load" EVERY controller for EVERY aircraft...

Since all the files are together in one spot, I can't imagine it would be that hard to scan and match categories (i.e., Joystick - HOTAS Warthog{xxxxxx, etc} probably matches up with Joystick - HOTAS Warthog {yyyyyyy, etc.})...

It would still be a LOT simpler if there were a "save all/load all" button, instead of having to "load" EVERY controller for EVERY aircraft...

Since all the files are together in one spot, I can't imagine it would be that hard to scan and match categories (i.e., Joystick - HOTAS Warthog{xxxxxx, etc} probably matches up with Joystick - HOTAS Warthog {yyyyyyy, etc.})...

Couldn't agree more. It's the messiest control config system I have ever seen!

So you can't do what I suggested when you reinstall Windows??

Correct, for the reasons stated above regarding device IDs.

OJ, backup backup lol.

Have you actually read this thread?

Yeah when the device IDs don't match up it isn't an issue. When you hit import it still works but you need to use the import function vs copy and paste files because the IDs are different.

Importing your backups is a LOT easier than copy/paste!

• 7 months later...
bump since the new update.

What do you mean?

Same as always, just copy your input folder from your old ‘Saved games’ folder to the new one.