Vikhrs are broken

Vikhr are going dumb since last update. I'm missing targets from 4.5 kilometeres with a TA lock and functioning laser. Missile warbles and hits the ground.

You probably just overheated your laser, try to turn it off when there is no need to use it

Edited by razo+r

[...] Missile warbles and hits the ground.

How much angle between you and the target? Sometimes it helps to aim a little higher if the angle is too shallow.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looking forward to it, Belsimtek!:thumbup:

Be sure the Laser shows the correct distance. Sometimes the 1st lock will show a fals reading.

Hit the LOCK button again and make sure it's correct. Dont overheat it as well

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

A certain 'warble' and screw-like motion is of course to be expected due to the way the Vikhr tracks. Are you by chance firing from very low height and/or sharply over obstacles?

+1

obey minimum engagement distance and launch altitude.

..and yes..over the years the Vikhrs changed a little, they now look REAL GOOD when fired

and they are a little more demanding for the Pilot to get a good solution.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 2 months later...

As others stated, the laser overheated and probably caused the problems you are seeing. When you set down to reload at a Farp then take a break... really give that laser at least 30 minutes between fully loaded engagements (this may include fly from/too time).

I find it not so important with Laz and head track HMS to Kannon use, only Vikhrs.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

There's an easy way to check if you've burned out your laser or not, but you have to install this mod:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/607269/

It will show the laser temperature on the lower right of the HUD. Normally, it's around 288, and increases to 297-ish when you're laser rangefinding. If you find that the number no longer increases when you're rangefinding, it means you've burned out your laser.

As others stated, the laser overheated and probably caused the problems you are seeing. When you set down to reload at a Farp then take a break... really give that laser at least 30 minutes between fully loaded engagements (this may include fly from/too time).

I find it not so important with Laz and head track HMS to Kannon use, only Vikhrs.

I've found that taking a 'break' doesn't work or cool down the laser at all.

My best gauge is two and a half sorties. This comes from long experience.

so that's 12 + 12 + 6. Yea usually by the 7th vikhr on the 3rd sortie. The laser is burnt out.

Instead after the 2nd sortie. I would land back to the FARP. Shut down the engines only. Connect the helicopter to ground power. Then ask for repair. You can still get repaired even if the electronics are on :)

After that it's just restart the engines; rearm. Disconnect ground power and sortie again.

• Like 2

Just flew a training mission to reaquire some... well, training with the shark and all of my 12 Vihkrs hit their mark. So no, they're not broken.

-K

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

Weather and Vikhrs

I've found that weather can sometimes have a nasty effect on Vikhrs... particulary strong winds. It can cause them to "warble and hit the ground".

It only seems to affect the missiles loaded on one side of the helicopter though.

Guys,

micromanaging the laser works wonders.

My record is 5 sorties, average 20 minutes between engagements, all Vikhrs expended + several gun and rocket attacks (with range finding). Then I took a break and did something else :P

The trick is simply turning off the laser if you don't need it. This includes the 5-6 seconds after the missile has already hit its target.

If you want range information, you only need like 2 seconds to read off the number, but the laser will fire for up to 8 seconds ... that's another 6 seconds wasted.

The switch is right above the collective, making it easy to access even in the real thing, so mapping it to your HOTAS isn't a terrible crime against realism.