FW190D9 can't dogfight.

Snapage

I don't use that, DCS manuals are 25 years old.

Actually it got better you don't need to hold starter so long to start engine up

When I got the time I'll make a comparison between Dora 2.5 and Dora 2.6 and probably with the Bf too. Just out of curiosity.

Sent from my Redmi 5 using Tapatalk

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Exactly this.

If you use the Doras strenghts, you can even win fights against multiple enemies.

It can run away from spitfires easily of course but I am talking about the P51D. Also those spitfires looked like they did not know what they were doing. It seems like they are blind. One of them ripped thier own wings off. If a competent P51D showed up the guy in that video would be dead.

Sure the FW190D9 can boom and zoom but so can every other plane in DCS. That's nothing special. Other planes can do even better. If a spit dives on a FW190D the Dora is as good as dead. If a Dora dives on a spitfire the spitfire can very easily do a reversal and be on the offensive forcing the Dora to run away. Same with the P51D.

It makes for boring and annoying gameplay. It's not fun to dodge a 190Ds attack and then chase them for 5 minutes. Then when you break off, they turn around to try to get a cheap shot on you. You evade them and chase them again, break off.... repeat. Very boring regardless of what plane your in. It's even worse in the D9 because if a P51D gets close to you it takes to long to extend away(if you are able to at all) and you will most likely be shot down(unless you are able to absorb all the P51Ds ammunition and still fly to base).

People complain about how good the 109K4 is but honestly if the Germans did not have that plane dog fights would be non existant. It would just be allies hovering over german airfields because the Germans would not have a plane that can dogfight.

Your tactics in P51D is to yank on the stick as the FM allows this to be done. It's an old topic and overlooked, of course.. You also draw your conclusions from what happens on airquake servers. On proper 2v2 or 4v4 engagement against Dora or Bf 109 you will stand no chance and your only remaining strategy will be to flee. I'll guarantee it.. So please stop with your nonsense.

Edited by amazingme

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

It makes for boring and annoying gameplay. It's not fun to dodge a 190Ds attack and then chase them for 5 minutes. Then when you break off, they turn around to try to get a cheap shot on you. You evade them and chase them again, break off.... repeat. Very boring regardless of what plane your in. It's even worse in the D9 because if a P51D gets close to you it takes to long to extend away(if you are able to at all) and you will most likely be shot down(unless you are able to absorb all the P51Ds ammunition and still fly to base).

Sound like what you want is a server or missions where spitfires fight against spitfires.. or P51s against P51s.

I think that's the balanced / even game-play environment you want.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Sound like what you want is a server or missions where spitfires fight against spitfires.. or P51s against P51s.

No. he sounds like he want that fw 190 and spitfire will fly exactly the same

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

And here is a problem that has been going on since there have been flight simulators. Everybody screams that they want realism....until the realism isn't working out for them.I'm picturing Goering picking up the phone and calling Doolittle...

"Hey, Jimmy, I don't like the way your Mustangs are outflying my D model Focke Wulfs. You need to do something about that..talk to your pilots, it's not fair!"

Doolittle listens patiently and finally says, "Listen Hermann, we've talked about this before. My boys are gonna keep on doing just what they're doing. You need to teach your pilots some better tactics. Now, I'm busy planning tomorrows bombing of Berlin. Try and see if you can arrange for Adolf to be there, okay? Now, don't bother me about this again! Bye!" Hangs up the phone.

Goering to Doolittle

C'mon man, i don't like your numbers i don't like your good planes, i didn't sign up for this bullsh**.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Your tactics in P51D is to yank on the stick as the FM allows this to be done. It's an old topic and overlooked, of course.. You also draw your conclusions from what happens on airquake servers. On proper 2v2 or 4v4 engagement against Dora or Bf 109 you will stand no chance and your only remaining strategy will be to flee. I'll guarantee it.. So please stop with your nonsense.

I make a thread talking about how the FW190D9 is not competative vs the P51D and your conclusion is that I must have trouble fighting againts FW190D9s? That's the complete opposite of what I have said. I am not happy because the FW190D9 is to easy to defeat in the P51D. It is forced to run away! I have done many 2v2 fights of P51s vs Doras. It does not matter who is flying the P51s always win. I have both planes.

I don't know where this idea of yanking the P51D has come from. Why would you need to vs the Dora? You want to keep your speed up as high as possible so you can chase and shoot it down when it inevitably runs away. You seem offended.

Edited by Snapage

I make a thread talking about how the FW190D9 is not competative vs the P51D and your conclusion is that I must have trouble fighting againts FW190D9s? That's the complete opposite of what I have said. I am not happy because the FW190D9 is to easy to defeat in the P51D. It is forced to run away! I have done many 2v2 fights of P51s vs Doras. It does not matter who is flying the P51s always win. I have both planes.

I don't know where this idea of yanking the P51D has come from. Why would you need ts vs the Dora? You want to keep your speed up as high as possible so you can chase and shoot it down when it inevitably runs away. You seem offended.

And once more, you can easily kill P-51s in the D9 if you know how to fly.

As I said, I managed to outturn 2 P-51s low and slow alone in the D9 for example.

Nope just a competative aircraft match up. I really think the Germans only have one good plane, the 109K4. Which is not good because they never made many fighters. They only really have the FW190, 109 and the me262. The rest are large fighters like the ME110.

But I believe the FW190D9 used to be better. I just think it really does not fare well after the last few updates. It really can't dogfight the spit 9 or P51D in my opinion. I mean it's kind of sad. I have not seen a FW190D9 do well in a dogfight in so long. Maybe 1 or 2 years ago I had some good fights againts the FW190D9 where I lost. Now days when I see a FW190D9 I am disappointed because it's going to be a boring fight. I either shoot him down or he runs away before I get close.

Edited by Snapage

And once more, you can easily kill P-51s in the D9 if you know how to fly.

As I said, I managed to outturn 2 P-51s low and slow alone in the D9 for example.

I out turn 109K4s quite often but that does not mean the P51D turns better it means the guy flying the 109K4 has a lot to learn about his plane.

And here is a problem that has been going on since there have been flight simulators. Everybody screams that they want realism....until the realism isn't working out for them.I'm picturing Goering picking up the phone and calling Doolittle...

"Hey, Jimmy, I don't like the way your Mustangs are outflying my D model Focke Wulfs. You need to do something about that..talk to your pilots, it's not fair!"

Doolittle listens patiently and finally says, "Listen Hermann, we've talked about this before. My boys are gonna keep on doing just what they're doing. You need to teach your pilots some better tactics. Now, I'm busy planning tomorrows bombing of Berlin. Try and see if you can arrange for Adolf to be there, okay? Now, don't bother me about this again! Bye!" Hangs up the phone.

Yeah because we know the DCS modules are 100% accurate. Like how you have to open the oil radiator on the P51D manually to stop it from overheating. Or how your engine instantly stops without warning when flying on a cruise setting in the P51D. Or how the pilot dies when you do a gear up landing for no apparent reason.

DCS is great but it is not perfect nor will it ever be. But maybe it's worth looking into some potential performance issues with this plane. I mean the MW50 in the Dora was broken for like 3 years or something stupid. Was not fixed until the FW190A8 was released. I would not be surprised if something was broken.

No. he sounds like he want that fw 190 and spitfire will fly exactly the same

Nope I simply identified that the FW190D9 can't dogfight and that it seems to be performing worse since the last few updates.

Please point out the part where I said the FW190D9 should fly like a spitfire.

I just want DCS WW2 to be viable. People are not going to fly DCS WW2 over other Sims if the plane set is not very good.

Nope I simply identified that the FW190D9 can't dogfight and that it seems to be performing worse since the last few updates.

I just want DCS WW2 to be viable. People are not going to fly DCS WW2 over other Sims if the plane set is not very good.

No. People need proper missions with proper assets so they can properly use their planes, for the purpose they were intended when they were built. Flying the Dora at low level or the Pony with very low fuel so it can be more maneuverable are not falling in the 'properly used' category.

Specs:

Settings:

Please point out where you presented hard, concrete, quantifiable and unequivocal evidence in support of your complaints.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

" Like how you have to open the oil radiator on the P51D manually to stop it from overheating. Or how your engine instantly stops without warning when flying on a cruise setting in the P51D. Or how the pilot dies when you do a gear up landing for no apparent reason."

My overheating problems with the Mustang stopped a long time ago when I learned how to properly manage the engine. I have never had the engine simply quit for no reason at cruise setting. I have never been killed because I did a gear up landing (not that I've done very many.). At least not that I remember. The Mustang gives me no problems whatsoever.

Please point out where you presented hard, concrete, quantifiable and unequivocal evidence in support of your complaints.

When did I claim I had hard evidence? I have better things to do then to bug test modules in DCS. That's why I have posted here and not under bugs.

I am simply talking about what I think is an issue from my experience. Time will tell if I am right or not.

" Like how you have to open the oil radiator on the P51D manually to stop it from overheating. Or how your engine instantly stops without warning when flying on a cruise setting in the P51D. Or how the pilot dies when you do a gear up landing for no apparent reason."

My overheating problems with the Mustang stopped a long time ago when I learned how to properly manage the engine. I have never had the engine simply quit for no reason at cruise setting. I have never been killed because I did a gear up landing (not that I've done very many.). At least not that I remember. The Mustang gives me no problems whatsoever.

I guess it depends on how often you use the module, what kind of flying you do and how long you fly for. Death on gear up landing is a 100% known issue for one(effects the FW190D9 as well). The P51D engine has a tendency to stop without warning, especially after using WEP. I was consistently getting engine failures recently until I started manually operating the oil radiator.

I tested the P51D WEP ages ago to find a reliable way to use it. I never found a way to use WEP without the chance of engine failure. It takes to long to test these things. I already have a day job. I want to enjoy my spare time.

But I still care so I mention it on the forums. Maybe someone else can figure out what the problem is.

No. People need proper missions with proper assets so they can properly use their planes, for the purpose they were intended when they were built. Flying the Dora at low level or the Pony with very low fuel so it can be more maneuverable are not falling in the 'properly used' category.

Well the LFDM server has bomber interception missions, convoy attack and anti shipping missions. It's the most popular at the moment. That sounds like using WW2 assets to properly use your planes.

You take as much fuel as you need for the mission, just like real life. You are not flying from England to Germany so you are not going to take a lot of fuel.

I would argue the storm of war server is better but people don't fly on that one. My guess is because the 109s don't have MW50 making them unable to compete agiants the spitfire 9 without blowing their engine.

At the end of the day I think you will find that people don't want to be cannon fodder.

Realism is great and can work depending on the period and plane set you choose.

Single player/coop is different of course.

Edited by Snapage

Well the LFDM server has bomber interception missions, convoy attack and anti shipping missions. It's the most popular at the moment. That sounds like using WW2 assets to properly use your planes.

You take as much fuel as you need for the mission, just like real life. You are not flying from England to Germany so you are not going to take a lot of fuel.

I would argue the storm of war server is better but people don't fly on that one. My guess is because the 109s don't have MW50 making them unable to compete agiants the spitfire 9 without blowing their engine.

At the end of the day I think you will find that people don't want to be cannon fodder.

Yeah, additional stop gate should be installed in bf109, w/o it, it is too easy to enter mw50 boost and rpm level and damaging the engine.

I agree with your post nearly completely. I think that the problem is that people "feel or think" that they are unable to compete and, as you said, feel they are cannon fodder. The K-4 can fly with 2600/1.45 till the tank runs dry, cooling is no factor. The Spit otoh needs 18lbs to fly with the K4 here and might explode after a while.

I prefer SoW.

Yeah, additional stop gate should be installed in bf109, w/o it, it is too easy to enter mw50 boost and rpm level and damaging the engine.

There is a range in the throttle, that has no change in virtual throttle setting despite physical/real throttle movement. So if you don't blindly firewall the throttle forward you don't kill the engine.

And it is easy, if you have a afterburner detent on your physical throttle. Adjust your throttle curve, so that you have 2600/1,45 at the afterburner detent. That's your stop gate.

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

Not every one have pleasure of having throttle with detent. I personaly in the heat of battle very often riding in mw-50 throttle range.

Aditional K-4 at 1.45ata revs to 2600rpm where G-6 at emergency power used 1.42ata and 2800rpm, i think that k-4 w/o mw50 can have less power then g-6 + its heavier.

Edited by grafspee

Not every one have pleasure of having throttle with detent. I personaly in the heat of battle very often riding in mw-50 throttle range.

Aditional K-4 at 1.45ata revs to 2600rpm where G-6 at emergency power used 1.42ata and 2800rpm, i think that k-4 w/o mw50 can have less power then g-6 + its heavier.

Indeed. The K4 was used mainly to destroy bombers that flew @ 6-7000m, hence the 30mm cannon. Without the MW50 is just artificially handicapped so it can be easily caught up by P51 or Spits, having nothing to do with reality.

Specs:

Settings:

what I think is an issue

OK, just pure conjecture then. Fine in itself, albeit of little value as a change driver. But I do agree with you on the Mustang's WEP behaviour regardless, because the thing just CAN'T be that fragile IRL.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

OK, just pure conjecture then. Fine in itself, albeit of little value as a change driver. But I do agree with you on the Mustang's WEP behaviour regardless, because the thing just CAN'T be that fragile IRL.

True. The value is in the conversation we are having and the input of others.