• Rift
    • Rift S
    • Quest
    • Index
    • Reverb
    • Pimax 5K
    • Pimax 8K
    • I'd wait for next Gen

As someone with an original Rift I'm in the mood to upgrade but can't find a definitive answer on whether I/we should .... and to what. It seems everyone has different opinions, the rift is not great it's rather blurry IMO so like everyone else looking for the headset with the largest clear sweet-spot and good image quality without a performance hit. Does it currently exist or should we wait?

Edited by rss0900

Reverb now, Reverb 2 soon although performance hit but 3080 should help. Either way, I can't go less than the Reverb x when it comes to resolution.

I did not know about the Reverb G2, so thank you for that great info. Just found a some videos of people doing comparisons on the G2 vs index and rift s and the center is much more clear but looks like they not been able to do much around the edges. Certainly G2 looks the best followed by index. youtube had a great comparison video "OCULUS RIFT S VS HP REVERB G2 VS VALVE INDEX - Through The Lens Comparison! Which VR Headset To Buy?" , based on that info sounds like I'll preorder the G2 and many already have gotten proto-types and echo what you stated above, also sounds like it may release next month (maybe).

I'm sure you know this but unless your rig has the horsepower for a higher resolution HMD, you will simply be trading clarity for stutter. So assuming you do or can have the horsepower to drive them, here's my cut.

I owned a Rift S for a year. I'm told the Rift S was a significant clarity improvement over the old Rift. The sound quality is rather poor however, I always had to fly with headphones atop of the rift S.

I upgraded to the Valve index a month or two ago and it hits the sweet spot for my rig power wise, and its sound quality is excellent. It is sharper than the Rift S, which makes gauges easier, but no so much that it broke my rig. Wider FOV as a bonus. I am a happy camper with the index.

I am hoping to be one of the early adopters of a new Nvidia 3080 card this fall. I have a straight 1080 now. I have a i-9700 CPU, so its the vid card in my system (according to fpsvr) that is a big bottlenext.

if you haven't already, check out thud's vr4dcs blog and related discord

this is pretty much exactly the subject matter they cover.

i voted for Reverb 'cause that's what I have and it works well, but it's been 9 mos or so, so there might be a more appropriate choice.

Take heed of flameoutme's caution above - just like with a 4K monitor, the higher the resolution of the HMD, the faster the computer driving it needs to be. The challenge with the HMD is that you can't turn the res down to pick up fps...

I'm sure you know this but unless your rig has the horsepower for a higher resolution HMD, you will simply be trading clarity for stutter. So assuming you do or can have the horsepower to drive them, here's my cut.

I owned a Rift S for a year. I'm told the Rift S was a significant clarity improvement over the old Rift. The sound quality is rather poor however, I always had to fly with headphones atop of the rift S.

I upgraded to the Valve index a month or two ago and it hits the sweet spot for my rig power wise, and its sound quality is excellent. It is sharper than the Rift S, which makes gauges easier, but no so much that it broke my rig. Wider FOV as a bonus. I am a happy camper with the index.

I am hoping to be one of the early adopters of a new Nvidia 3080 card this fall. I have a straight 1080 now. I have a i-9700 CPU, so its the vid card in my system (according to fpsvr) that is a big bottlenext.

Good point, I was aware of it also have a 1080ti card and like you planning to upgrade to the 3080 when they release. May OC the 1080ti as needed to get by in the interim but read from 1070 and 1080 owners they were running the G1 and Index OK, based on the specs the G2 resolution looks the same but better panel and lenses so would assume about the same performance from the GPU.

As someone with an original Rift I'm in the mood to upgrade but can't find a definitive answer on whether I/we should .... and to what. It seems everyone has different opinions, the rift is not great it's rather blurry IMO so like everyone else looking for the headset with the largest clear sweet-spot and good image quality without a performance hit. Does it currently exist or should we wait?

Rift S will give you better clarity/optics over Rift CV1, with no real performance penalty as the Rift S runs at 80Hz versus 90 Hz of the CV1.

Whether it is enough for you to justify the cost only you could say when you have tried it. Only thing I did not like about the Rift S was that crappy audio strap. I use earbuds plugged into the Rift S audio jack and sound is great that way.

I upgraded to the Rift S over the CV1 in May 2019 and did not regret it, and I use it pretty much daily.

Having said that though, I do have a Reverb G2 on pre-order and look forward to seeing how it does on my rig. Hope to have a 3080 Ti around the same time.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Rift S will give you better clarity/optics over Rift CV1, with no real performance penalty as the Rift S runs at 80Hz versus 90 Hz of the CV1.

Whether it is enough for you to justify the cost only you could say when you have tried it. Only thing I did not like about the Rift S was that crappy audio strap. I use earbuds plugged into the Rift S audio jack and sound is great that way.

I upgraded to the Rift S over the CV1 in May 2019 and did not regret it, and I use it pretty much daily.

Having said that though, I do have a Reverb G2 on pre-order and look forward to seeing how it does on my rig. Hope to have a 3080 Ti around the same time.

Thanks for the feedback, good info. I also am going to pre-order the G2 and just wait keeping my CV1 for now. the 3080 TI is not even available for pre-order yet is it or can you not disclose :music_whistling:

I'm sure you know this but unless your rig has the horsepower for a higher resolution HMD, you will simply be trading clarity for stutter.

Not necessarily. The supersampling needed by lower resolution HMDs just to make them look half-way decent is more of a drag on performance than a higher resolution HMD running with no supersampling. Going from a Rift CV1 to the Reverb on the same rig gave me better performance and MUCH better visuals. It allowed me to turn my DCS PD down from 2.0 to 1.0. Running SteamVR at 100% SS, which gives me roughly the native resolution of the Reverb (2160 X 2160), along with the lower DCS PD, allowed me to bump my MSAA up to 4X, and I found I no longer needed the shaders mod.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I don't think I know enough about current headsets to say, but definately something with a 60Hz mode. 80/90 fps that you get with the Rift S or most headsets is not realistic at this time due to DCS limitations on CPU usage. So that means you'll be running at half that FPS during combat typically in any kind of significant mission. Some headsets have a 60 fps mode though (Reverb maybe?) and that should still be doable. 60 fps is a hell of a lot better than 40 or 45 fps. The one I'm looking at right now is the Reverb G2. I currently have a Rift S and a Quest. The Quest doesn't get used with the PC, it's just too janky. I previously had the original Rift.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

Your choice for best VR headset currently with DCS

Difficult vote if you only tried one of those...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Not necessarily. The supersampling needed by lower resolution HMDs just to make them look half-way decent is more of a drag on performance than a higher resolution HMD running with no supersampling. Going from a Rift CV1 to the Reverb on the same rig gave me better performance and MUCH better visuals. It allowed me to turn my DCS PD down from 2.0 to 1.0. Running SteamVR at 100% SS, which gives me roughly the native resolution of the Reverb (2160 X 2160), along with the lower DCS PD, allowed me to bump my MSAA up to 4X, and I found I no longer needed the shaders mod.

Ah... I've spent weeks messing around with the valve index trying to have my cake and eat it to by adjusting everything - turning everything down, adjusting super sampling both in SteamVR and in-game. Adjusting refresh. And in the end, for a 1080 card/i-9700k processor (note: not 1080ti), you can have clarity or you can have smoothness on the valve index, take your choice. But you can't have both in DCS.

The horse power simply isn't there. Now, if one is willing to accept lower frame-rates (less smoothness) then yes, that's something else. I finally installed fpsvr and it clearly showed the graphics card bottle-necking -(in addition to what I saw for myself first hand) - that adding eye candy in means lowering fps - often down to 25-27 with a re-projection rate of nearly 90. Backing eye candy and/or SS and/or refresh off to very low levels gets me an enjoyable 45 fps rate with a re-projection rate of under 50. Resulting in a smooth experience. But far less clarity.

Ditto playing with super sampling. SS does increase clarity. But it takes graphics power to pull it off. I watched the fpsvr graph go into the red as I turned SS up in fps. Further, my eyes could see it in the smoothness (or less of) in the DCS world.

Again, it comes down to horse power and personal preference - because we can't have it all, yet.

You can't get something for nothing.

Nvidia 3080 (I hope...)... here goes!

Edited by flameoutme

Again, it comes down to horse power - and you can't get something for nothing.

Nvidia 3080 (I hope...)... here goes!

Except for the fact that you're not getting something for nothing when you're reducing supersampling by the amount stated in my post. :smilewink:

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Except for the fact that you're not getting something for nothing when you're reducing supersampling by the amount stated in my post. :smilewink:

That is what I finally ended up running with to do get the frame rates I was after - silky smooth. However, it trades off clarity. Gauges are less clear. Planes at distance are less clear. Again, its the can't get something for nothing principle.

That is what I finally ended up running with to do get the frame rates I was after - silky smooth. However, it trades off clarity. Gauges are less clear. Planes at distance are less clear. Again, its the can't get something for nothing principle.

Sorry. I thought your original post I responded to was referring to going from a lower-resolution HMD to a higher-resolution HMD, not higher versus lower supersampling on the same HMD.

"I'm sure you know this but unless your rig has the horsepower for a higher resolution HMD, you will simply be trading clarity for stutter"

Thanks for the feedback, good info. I also am going to pre-order the G2 and just wait keeping my CV1 for now. the 3080 TI is not even available for pre-order yet is it or can you not disclose :music_whistling:

Yeah I have no idea on the when but sounds like they will be revealed sometime in Sept.

Also now sounds like there will be an even better 3090 series card.

https://videocardz.com/newz/micron-confirms-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-gets-21gbps-gddr6x-memory

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

+1 reverb g1 now. September reverb g2 and probarbly Rtx 3090. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly: