Odd things in Spitfire handling on my sys

Hi Guys,

Several questions for the experienced guys here- 1. Where is the windsock on the airfields? 2. Why are there no crosswind run ways? 3. How do I set the control axes on the Spit to get it to fly more like a real airplane and less like an amusement park ride?

Ok, the first two question require no explanation, let's jump to the third! Control issues.

I'm still working hard at getting my axes configurations set up properly in the Spitfire. I'm kind of focusing on one plane at a time as I get started here with DCS. (and thanks to the Chief instructor for some very helpful posts and columns and to Chucky's Spitfire guide!)

Anyhow, I'm starting to get the airplane under control, but it's like riding the head of a pin in a hurricane at times. I still can't get it to fly like a real airplane. It's very hard to get it to trim for hands off for a particular AOA and throttle setting. (which makes me think I've screwed up the axis tuning somehow.) It's also very easy to overcontrol and start chasing the trim.

Anyhow, the first time I flew the spit, I managed a perfect landing. That was pretty much the last time! So, that's a work in progress- both in terms of getting the hang of it in the game, and getting the controls set up.

But here are a couple specific handling questions- First, has anyone been able to get the Spitfire to snap roll? And secondly, where is the pronounced stall buffet? I can't make the first happen, and the second doesn't seem to exist. The spit will just snap into an incipient spin that immediately becomes a full fledged spin.

What am I missing here? I'm pretty darn sure the issue is at the PILOT'S end- not the simulator!

I have the elevator axis set for 15 in the Axis tune curve, and a similar setting for the rudder axis. Brakes are set on a curve but operated by a button- I tried using the joystick z axis, but it seemed impossible to set to a usable form).

PS.. In real life, I have been checked out in a Norseman II, a Super Emeraude, a Citabria, and a Luscombe 8F- which I owned. Real life tail draggers are a bugger- but they seem to be MORE of a bugger in DCS!

Edited by Finnster
correct a typo

Ok... figured out the landing issue- I had to map the brakes differently. Once I got them working, countering the low speed ground loop got a lot easier. Landings still aren't pretty, but not all of my landings in real life were pretty either. Of course, in real life, the plane was always usable again after landing! In DCS... maybe not so much for me. :)