Mi-24 Gunner Sight

Focha

Hi all,

Any information about how the player will interact with the Gunners sight?

Will it be a head movement based sight or a full view sight, or both?

Thank you very much.

Regards

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

There’s a good shot of it I’m the new Syria video. It’s basically the same exact unit we have in L-39/MiG-15/Mi-8, fixed with controllable depression

If it was a turreted model, I believe the sight moves with the gun

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

I guess he was talking about the Raduga-sh that is used to guide ATGMs.

As far as I know there is no information available on that. Even on the russian forums I didn't find anything. But if I had to guess I would say that it will probably be a full view sight. But nobody knows...

There’s a good shot of it I’m the new Syria video. It’s basically the same exact unit we have in L-39/MiG-15/Mi-8, fixed with controllable depression

If it was a turreted model, I believe the sight moves with the gun

Are you absolutely sure?

I know this is about pilot's sight, but still..

What kind of sight mechanism is there for pilot's cannon & rockets, gyro stabilized, boresight, other?

Is it going to be easier to aim than in the Mi-8?

Absolutely better! The Mi-24P uses the ASP-17 gunsight, exactly the same model as used on the Su-25 in DCS. It can give you a solution for cannon, rockets and bombs.

Edited by CoBlue

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

Are you absolutely sure?

I know this is about pilot's sight, but still..

Check the new Syria video, gunner pit is right in the beginning

The Raduga-Sh is a periscope from a submarine and also used on BMPs I think. Don’t expect much , it’ll guide the missile, but that’s basically it

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

The back cockpit has the more advanced ASP-17V sight, while the front cockpit has the PKV sight (and the Raduga-Sh). Wags' video "Hind over Lakatia" shows both cockpits clearly, albeit with the sights turned off. Other versions of the Hind will have different sights (in case you're looking up information about the real thing, keep in mind which version is being discussed). I believe the D model has a PKV in the back and of course the turreted versions have a specialized sight for the gun.

The back cockpit has the more advanced ASP-17V sight, while the front cockpit has the PKV sight (and the Raduga-Sh). Wags' video "Hind over Lakatia" shows both cockpits clearly, albeit with the sights turned off. Other versions of the Hind will have different sights (in case you're looking up information about the real thing, keep in mind which version is being discussed). I believe the D model has a PKV in the back and of course the turreted versions have a specialized sight for the gun.

It’s a wild world. How many of those PKVs were made? Jesus it must’ve been like printing money to get into the PKV business in the Cold War

• Like 1

It's simplicity does make it versatile. However, it's NOT used in the MiG-15/L-39. These two use different versions of the ASP-3 sight, which is a more advanced gyro gunsight.

Thanks I didn’t know:D I thought that was a bit extreme even for the Soviets if they were all the same lol:megalol:

I guess he was talking about the Raduga-sh that is used to guide ATGMs.

As far as I know there is no information available on that. Even on the russian forums I didn't find anything. But if I had to guess I would say that it will probably be a full view sight. But nobody knows...

This is what I'm interested in knowing too.

Will players with head tracking be able to position their heads to look through the sight?

Will we be able to click on the sight/have a keybinding that moves the camera to look through the sight?

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Im 90% sure all that sight will have is a simple crosshair snd some magnification and hopefully some stabilization.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The Viggen is a good example of a module that has made an optical sight work convincingly in 2D and VR. Best case I hope ED will make the sight work as per real world, in that you have to move your head to it and use the sight while in VR at least. A keybinding to bring up a full screen sight would be a great alternative to those flying in 2D who have less control over their head movements, or even a scripted view movement to the sight like the MiG 19. A combination of all of the above would be best IMHO.

I'm more interested in how it will work with VR.

Yeah good question.

Personally I find the VR implementation of something like the viggen sight to be not great as you can't really put your eye against it to get a full FOV and it "wobbles" which it wouldn't irl.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yeah good question.

Personally I find the VR implementation of something like the viggen sight to be not great as you can't really put your eye against it to get a full FOV and it "wobbles" which it wouldn't irl.

The sight in viggek is collimator sight, so you don't put your eye in it. It is not suppose to zoom in or out by the viewing distance but only require to get head aligned to see it with a one eye, as it is beaming the TV as small circle as the sight itself all the way back.

330px-Collimator.svg.png

But the Mi-24 gunner periscope sight is trouble one for VR users as we can't have a view locked to it or require year placed downward such a way without "magnet".

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Hi all,

Any information about how the player will interact with the Gunners sight?

Will it be a head movement based sight or a full view sight, or both?

Thank you very much.

Regards

Hopefully not a head following like a Mi-8 sidedoor gunner Kord shooting. Or UH-1H co-pilot gunsight, that should be about holding the grip at bottom of sight and turn it where you want to point at it.

I hope that in VR you need to move head to predefined area at right and closer to sight and your head would snap in. And then you would see the picture only with your right eye like in real. And use a joystick to operate sight around.

I would love to use a STEAM CONTROLLER with its gyroscope to control the sight and then fire with it etc....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Check the new Syria video, gunner pit is right in the beginning

The Raduga-Sh is a periscope from a submarine and also used on BMPs I think. Don’t expect much , it’ll guide the missile, but that’s basically it

No it's not. the Raduga sighting system started from a 1930s submarine periscope, but it is modified extensively with gyro-stabilization, extended zoom and more.

It's a myth that it is simply a submarine periscope. It's purpose built, but based on a periscope design.

The sight in viggek is collimator sight, so you don't put your eye in it. It is not suppose to zoom in or out by the viewing distance but only require to get head aligned to see it with a one eye, as it is beaming the TV as small circle as the sight itself all the way back.

330px-Collimator.svg.png

But the Mi-24 gunner periscope sight is trouble one for VR users as we can't have a view locked to it or require year placed downward such a way without "magnet".

The collimation logic was removed from the Viggen sight a long time ago, because there was an issue with the head position reporting in VR (according to HB, the DCS SDK would not give the right position of the head). Now it's a fixed texture on the collimator sight.

330px-Collimator.svg.png

It still sucks to use in VR. Maybe IRL too.

No it's not. the Raduga sighting system started from a 1930s submarine periscope, but it is modified extensively with gyro-stabilization, extended zoom and more.

It's a myth that it is simply a submarine periscope. It's purpose built, but based on a periscope design.

That is encouraging:thumbup:. As I was getting a little worry for people sitting in the gunners pit when multi-crewing, with "just a simple sight". I hope we'll get the 8 ATGM's (not 4) so the front-seater has something to do.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

That is encouraging:thumbup:. As I was getting a little worry for people sitting in the gunners pit when multi-crewing, with "just a simple sight". I hope we'll get the 8 ATGM's (not 4) so the front-seater has something to do.

My understanding (which might be incorrect), is that the pilot more or less is the guy doing the attacking and controlling of most of the unguided weapon systems, like the rockets/gun. The gunners job is to look for targets, call them out, and if ordered to engage with the ATGM's. So its a bit different than the western model of helo's where the gunner has more to do, and the tactics are pop up from behind a hill etc.