3090? 3080? AMD!

After watching the Nvidia launch and the infos available on the next AMD GPUs for consoles there are two (related) details that will stop me from buying a Nvidia offer at launch this time.

Nvidia increases the power consumption to north of 300W. I am not concerned about the enviromental perspective here, although it is still an argument as well ;-)

Nvidia is afraid of the AMD performance, that is why the power consumption is so high.

Why is that? Nvidia is still on the Samsung 10nm chip manufactioring process although it is called 8nm. AMD uses the advanced TSMC 7nm process that already helped to turn their CPUs into a very capable competitor for Intel.

Nvidia has to increase the power consumption to keep up with AMD.

Perhaps they will still be faster a little bit, but the AMD high PC end card will be probably very attractive.

I for one can easily wait till october to confirm my thoughts. I still love my 1080Ti.

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And in the worst case I will snatch Nvidias answer to AMDs attack in a few months. :-)

Nvidia, I will not forget the frivol price increase from 1080ti to 2080ti ;-)

Edited by Motomouse

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

Latest rumours are that AMD Big Navi, 6900Xt, whatever will be ~5% better than NVIDIA 3070 and that's all AMD has in the tank.

So, there's that.

In comparison 3080-3090 will be game changing.

All BS till real benchmarks prove reality though.

Regardless - can't go wrong with any of them.

I think wait and see is the optimal aproach untill all of the releases are over.

If you are an active PC modder and change components very often you can give a shot on the first day aviable but the scene will change very quickly in the months ahead. (Even in 2021).

Not every year you get so much announcements but the next gen consoles will force that.

@Motomouse: You are in a safe position with your 1080ti to actually wait and see. (Nvidia want to shrink to 5 nm in 2021 too. They need that).

my only concerns with waiting is that prices will rise for christmas or maybe the market will be bought empty because of corona and/or this other new FlightSim like with the controllers/joysticks and then they rise the price because of this.

AH-64D | AV-8B | A-10C II | A-4E | F-4E | F-5E | F-14B | F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | M-2000C | UH-1H | Mig-21bis | L-39 | F-86F | P-47D | P-51D | BF 109 | Spitfire | BS3 | FC3 | SC | CA

Intel® Core™ i7-13700K | NVIDIA RTX 4090 | 64 GB DDR5 RAM | Aorus Elite Z790 | 50“ UHD LG Monitor | Windows 11 Pro

VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base | VPC Apache-64 Collective Grip | VPC Hawk-60 Collective Grip | VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base | TM F-16/A-10 Stick  | TM F/A-18 Stick

TM HOTAS Warthog (DSE Slew Upgrade) | TM Hotas Cougar (FSSB) | TM Pendular Rudder | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5

my only concerns with waiting is that prices will rise for christmas or maybe the market will be bought empty because of corona and/or this other new FlightSim like with the controllers/joysticks and then they rise the price because of this.

Yep.

And "Black Friday" should be utter madness this year...

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

Well, as it seems, there wont be too many Nvidia-cards around in the beginning anyway. Samsung should still have pretty poor yields for the chips.... But that will get better.

Overall I agree with the OT, that the high powerconsumption is probably due to AMD getting competitive and also consoles arriving later this year.

According to youtuber "Moores law is not dead" (which is my preferrred sourve of info), that has been quite right about Ampere, AMD will be competitive; but its not clear, if that will be the case in every class, especially the top class. It seems that out of a wafer with BigNavi 21, AMD can get many more CPUs, that would yield better profits than a GPU.

Anyway, Im looking forward to real benchmarks from reknown reviewers and not the "selected" ones from Nvidia.

But one thing is for sure: nobody here on the forum, that got a 3090 will admit, that a much cheaper 3080 (about 15% less perf rumored) would have been enough. So, I guess info about those will be kind of subjective….

On thing to consider though is, that all those topcards to offer their top-Performance will need PCIe 4.0. So all with their 9900K and 10900K will have to give up some %%. But upcoming Zen3 should beat the 10900K anyway….

NVIDIA got the short end of the stick regarding silicon suppliers because they got stuck with a crappy SAMSUNG 8nm node while AMD will be using the bleeding edge 7+.

I have read numerous articles about 3080 VS Big navi (and some say there will be a biggest navi), and my best educated guess in that NVIDIA will win the absolute FPS number performance crown with ray tracing, but AMD will offer you something that trails close behind it, but with the least power consumption while giving you the most VRAM for lower prices.

There's that. IF they trail 5%-10% behind with sane power consumptions (say 250W) and more than 10GB VRAM NVIDIA is offering(I have 11GB on a 3 year old card for crying out loud) I know what card I will be getting.

Disclaimer: I dont give a rodents behind about brands.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

The only reason why I still wouldn't buy an AMD gpu on this coming generation is that they still haven't proved they can deliver consistent reliable drivers.

As someone who went through the whole drama with drivers (they were problematic for over 9 months for nearly every AMD model, old or new), can say now that the drivers have been good since April (20.4.2 drivers) and every "Beta" (or Optional as they call it) has been ok too since. Latest 20.8.3 is pretty much perfect, if judging a balance of feedback in forums.

I'm not expecting RDNA2 "Big Navi" to be groundbreaking and take the performance crown, but I suspect AMD is taking their sweet time to deliver a disruptive product for the price segment it'll be aimed at.

They must have learned the hard lesson from last year with the horrible drivers, and should not want to go through that all over again.

What AMD has got to get straight is the mistake of overvolting their graphics cards to reach highest possible base and boost clock numbers.

The Vega 56/64 and the RX5700XT suffered from this. Most horror stories have more to do with that than with the drivers (though these were bad for quite a time).

If you do the undervolting trick, then you have a great GPU as it should have been from the factory (instead of a potentially problematic product). But, the point is, people shouldn't need to do anything.

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

DLSS is the future. Not more competition with amd for now, bye bye.

:)

DLSS is software-based, meaning AMD can also develope something similar, which I think they do anyway.

But most importantly: what does DLSS do for DCS? Nothing, since its not implemented as in the majority of games.

But I have to admit, that I dont know, if (upcoming) Vulcan can implement DLSS. So, if its possible and it offers some performance benefits, Id happy to accept them. But I guess, ED will stay on a neutral position and not push tech, that only works with some specific hardware. Just a guess on my side.

DLSS is the future. Not more competition with amd for now, bye bye.

AMD Can do DLSS, and already has a comparable tech in GPU Open, rDNA2 will have AI Cores that can do the same thing the RTX Tensor Cores do.

High speed AI Calculations.

So rDNA2 will do both Ray Tracing and AI Assisted Rendering.

:)

DLSS is software-based, meaning AMD can also develope something similar, which I think they do anyway.

But most importantly: what does DLSS do for DCS? Nothing, since its not implemented as in the majority of games.

But I have to admit, that I dont know, if (upcoming) Vulcan can implement DLSS. So, if its possible and it offers some performance benefits, Id happy to accept them. But I guess, ED will stay on a neutral position and not push tech, that only works with some specific hardware. Just a guess on my side.

DLSS 2.0 is Hardware Based using the RTX Tensor Cores, same as Ray Tracing.

Vulkan Supports both AI Rendering and Ray Tracing.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I'm not sure if 30XX would be justified purchase right now (unless you're using VR or 4k res), in my experience DCS is pretty much a RAM hog (32G is a must for online multiplayer with ground units) and CPU intensive (got better lately since it utilizes multiple cores), while GPU is not the limiting factor in most cases.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MATRIC developer

Check out MATRIC and forget about keyboard shortcuts

The only reason why I still wouldn't buy an AMD gpu on this coming generation is that they still haven't proved they can deliver consistent reliable drivers.

I had lots of issues when I purchased an 4870 x2 i know it was a long time ago but I have owned

two ATI cards and drivers always seem to let me down.

I'm going 3080 this time round. I know there will be either a Super or TI to follow but this all

depends on what AMD do this time round

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

The issue with driver stability affects both companies.

Ive had my share of issues with both sides, most of the time its drivers from other companies or over protective AV Apps causing problems.

As for DLSS and AI Rendering

Samsung TVs have been doing this for over 5 yrs already on their 4K and 8K TVs.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

title says it all XD

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

doh.gif Oh no.... no_sad.gif not again please :cry::wallbash:

Spoiler

doh.gif Oh no.... no_sad.gif not again please :cry::wallbash:

That's going to suck if it turns out to be true. Grrrrrrr.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

That's going to suck if it turns out to be true. Grrrrrrr.

Indeed, not these mining @ss hats again.... :cry:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I have always been a proud member of the Waitnsee Tribe.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.