Red Force help needed

baltic_dragon

As I am moving through the training and looking at creating single missions (both for SP and MP) for MiG-19, I found that I don't have a clue about some aspects of flying Soviet jets from the era... I will do my own research, but I thought that perhaps some of you may have the answers already to the following questions:

A) How did the cooperation with long range radar stations look like? It was before AWACS era, so pilots received bearings to the targets from the ground radar stations? Which one available in the DCS could play the role for early 60's?

B) Was there any direct communications between the airplanes and ground forces? Was it done via a spotter at that time?

C) How did the radios from the era sound like? More distorted than the modern ones, but if anyone can find any recordings, I'd be grateful to see them!

I know this is basic stuff, but my knowledge about the Red forces is very limited - so in order to make good missions I need to educate myself, hopefully with your help!

Thanks!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Some movies, mig-21 era but still.

list of MiG-19 regiments:

http://forums.airforce.ru/matchast/5291-mig-19-ekspluataciya-reestr-opisanie/#post100839

http://venec.ulstu.ru/lib/disk/2015/Pankov_1.pdf

In short, combat control officer on the ground commands his buddy aircraft, or pair to position them for an attack of the enemy from behind preferably undetected by the target. It is on different frequency than home ATC, and there may be different combat controllers during one sortie depending on early warning sites structure so a good point for simulated missions is establishing communications with different guys on the ground, maybe adding personality to each voice.

Basically, instructions for course and altitude before takeoff, then correcting messages which course and altitude to be on as "heading, altitude", and shorter commands like "left 10". Closer to target control officer says more precise commands like "turn right roll 30 to course 270" to specify the speed of needed corrections. In range of fighter's radar: callsign, enable emission. Pilot: target on radar/got visual. Controller: proceed to engage, egress right/left to course, altitude.

Edited by Кош

ППС  АВТ 100 60 36  Ф <  |  >  !  ПД  К

i5-10600k/32GB 3600/SSD NVME/4070ti/2560x1440'32/VPC T-50 VPC T-50CM3 throttle Saitek combat rudder