AV-8BNA is feature complete according to Razbam - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-18-2020, 10:16 PM   #21
Fri13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_sukebe View Post
Another wall of text.
Do you really think that it will add value today.

At least give RB the opportunity to catch their breath after their existing statement.
Give me 15 minutes and I would come up with a better statement (with all usual typos, grammar errors etc) than what Razbam has given to this date. If I would think it about an hour or two and I would run it through a professional translator, it would be literally perfect, but still without facts from razbam business with ED. And they should both have a very good idea what their business plan is for any given product, just as any business owner.

The whole problem is a major trust question about whole Early Access model, why even ED should respond to this seriously. As the official word is now that ED doesn't control anything about when product gets out of EA and it is all up to studio itself make the decision....

OP wrote well about the problem, and it is warning shot to everyone that Razbam has fired over a stern of all customers of ED.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:42 PM   #22
Fri13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
And yet we really only got some weird deflection post about shiny SVG grafix. Something literally no one asked about, or cared about.
In fact I tried compare the screenshots between examples hard, and I couldn't notice that difference, so I thought they must have post duplicates of one rendering only....

One of the problems I saw in the SVG idea is that it really is not so great for rendering visual effects. It is fairly heavy to use a SVG over bitmaps, and especially if one wants to have a special effects like blur (glow) and transparency etc. Why typically SVG is used on the fly source for rendering first it to bitmap for given resolution and then apply effects on bitmap image for speed and quality reasons.

So SVG is great as source, but just bad for output, unless you want that sharp simple text and forms.

The SVG suggestion for graphics engines always reminds me from this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RyU50qbvzQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llnzK2H_HZo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwVu2BWLZqA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IztxeoHhoyM

And if someone wants to understand better computer graphics possibilities, this is very good for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcJ1Jvtef0
Old 09-19-2020, 05:57 AM   #23
ShadowXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
One of the problems I saw in the SVG idea is that it really is not so great for rendering visual effects. It is fairly heavy to use a SVG over bitmaps, and especially if one wants to have a special effects like blur (glow) and transparency etc. Why typically SVG is used on the fly source for rendering first it to bitmap for given resolution and then apply effects on bitmap image for speed and quality reasons.

So SVG is great as source, but just bad for output, unless you want that sharp simple text and forms.
The SVG-change only applies to symbology on the HUD and MPCD's. Which are all simple graphics (the moving map is NOT affected by this, as that's delivered by ED's systems). The reasoning for using SVG is simple: Far less memory intensive than .DDS-textures, far easier to render for the system and both clearer and faster, especially for the VR-users. We all know that DCS is a bit of a CPU- and memory-hog, so this change should help a bit with that.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.
ShadowXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:02 AM   #24
LastRifleRound

They mentioned SVG changes because many of the reported bugs were display-related. I think Ron was trying to say they were in the middle of the SVG rework when this all happened. Many of the fixes were going to be in the SVG re-work.

When they say they're doing double-work, what they're saying is they'll now incorporate the changes in the raster-based current iteration so the bug fixes don't have to wait for SVG re-work.

As someone who has done a lot of web development, SVG is ubiquitous, but that is because we have built-in support for them. I put an SVG on a page (usually a logo or other graphic that can be drawn mathematically) and your browser just knows what to do with it. This is likely much more complex in DCS. Deka has also come out and said their next module will be one without a glass cockpit because it was so difficult for them to do, so it does sound like the re-work would be quite time-consuming.

Not weighing on one side or another. I may not be a Harrier SME, but I am a software SME.

Last edited by LastRifleRound; 09-19-2020 at 07:04 AM.
LastRifleRound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:15 AM   #25
FoxDelta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXP View Post
The SVG-change only applies to symbology on the HUD and MPCD's. Which are all simple graphics (the moving map is NOT affected by this, as that's delivered by ED's systems). The reasoning for using SVG is simple: Far less memory intensive than .DDS-textures, far easier to render for the system and both clearer and faster, especially for the VR-users. We all know that DCS is a bit of a CPU- and memory-hog, so this change should help a bit with that.
i guess what Fri13 wanted to say is that SVG might fit perfectly for the mfds but not for the hud because of degrading the visual experience there, eg glow and so on.
u can simply look at the viggens hud which is imo most beautiful and immersive , this won t be possible with SVG
FoxDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:19 AM   #26
ShadowXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxDelta View Post
i guess what Fri13 wanted to say is that SVG might fit perfectly for the mfds but not for the hud because of degrading the visual experience there, eg glow and so on.
u can simply look at the viggens hud which is imo most beautiful and immersive , this won t be possible with SVG
Until I see the end result, I'll reserve my judgement. The images I HAVE seen of the Harrier-HUD in SVG seems to have little to no loss of quality compared to the DDS-method. And if I get a performace-gain without a quality-gain, I'm happy.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.
ShadowXP is offline   Reply With Quote