Rift S Discontinued - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-16-2020, 06:54 PM   #1
Chapa

Default Rift S Discontinued

Here is the not surprising but annoying news: https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...t-2-vr-connect
Old 09-16-2020, 09:08 PM   #2
ricktoberfest

Of course. 7 months after I finally buy into VR and they pull this. The writing has really been on the wall the entire time though. Constant updates to the quest while the Rift S continues to be the ugly red headed stepchild.

It’s too bad, I like the rift S. Reasonably priced and ok resolution made it worthwhile to anyone who liked sims but didn’t want to spend $1000 on a headset.

Modules: A10C, F5, F14, F16, F18, F86, AV8B, UH1, Mi8, Ka50, FC3, Supercarrier, CA, P47, P51
ricktoberfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:54 PM   #3
Eldur
Veteran

Well, the original Quest is discontinued as well. I mean, those will still work just fine in the future I guess, just like the CV1 still does.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:57 PM   #4
DerekSpeare

There will be plenty of used ones.
Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | FI-P3D v2.5/3 | FI-FSX
My Hangar: FC3 | F-16 | C101 | M2000 | Mi8 | UH1 | F86 | L39 | A10C | NTTR | F5E | F/A-18 | Harrier
DSD TS Server: derekspeare.typefrag.com | PW = dsdftw!
Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE
DerekSpeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:22 PM   #5
streakeagle

I am currently using a Rift S. I had purchased an Oculus CV1 which I chose after trying both it and the Vive. Matt Wagner's review convinced me the Rift S would make VR much better with DCS World, and it did. But the Rift S took a few steps backwards from the CV1, most notably in the area of audio. The earphones on the CV1 are far superior in quality and volume to the Rift S. My Rift S has a defective mic as well. Never had a problem with the CV1's mic. The image quality on the Rift S is much better than the CV1 with a small cost: 40 fps instead of 45 fps in DCS World.

With the CV1, the cockpits were just too blurry. I flew TrackIR about 50% of the time because the quality of the CV1 was just too low. With the Rift S, I fly VR 80% or more of the time.

But Facebook/Oculus has failed to advance in the area of PC VR. I have an HP Reverb G2 on the way. If I build a new PC and get a top notch GPU to go with it, I expect the G2 to render the Rift S an obsolete dust collector in the same way the Rift S did to the CV1.

For the time being, the Rift S is still getting the job done. But having to wear an audio headset over the Rift S annoys me more and more knowing that I should not have had to do that to get decent audio and a reliable mic.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:14 AM   #6
Fri13
Veteran

There were two possibilities really.

1) New Rift to be announced, aka CV2 that would be top model to challenge others and Quest to be their affordable model for masses.

2) Rift to be discontinued and Quest to become only model, because lack of updates it was expected.

The third option, very unlikely would have been that Rift S receives major updates with the announcement of Quest 2.

I was hoping the third option, really did only want to see hand tracking added to it. It would have pushed Rift S one year forward....

But the first option was a fear that came true.

I don't have Facebook account, totally dislike it. So that makes question to continue on Quest 2 after Rift S. As well the Quest 2 audio system is killing it to me. I fixed the audio in Rift S but dislike idea of bad audio built-in.

I love the idea to just have one cable from PC to play DCS and few other.... But what truly killed VR oculus for me is the second generation touch controllers. Really, the tracking ring positioned upwards renders most/all shooting games useless as the controller hits continually the HMD and tracking is lost often when close to HMD.

To my opinion the Rift line should have continued somehow.
At least the support in development for next 18-24 months.

IMHO Facebook made decisions that are 80% bad and 20% good.
But what one can do when they lose one old customer and gain two new? Business as usually, for masses....
Old 09-17-2020, 10:47 AM   #7
dburne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
There were two possibilities really.

1) New Rift to be announced, aka CV2 that would be top model to challenge others and Quest to be their affordable model for masses.

2) Rift to be discontinued and Quest to become only model, because lack of updates it was expected.

The third option, very unlikely would have been that Rift S receives major updates with the announcement of Quest 2.

I was hoping the third option, really did only want to see hand tracking added to it. It would have pushed Rift S one year forward....

But the first option was a fear that came true.

I don't have Facebook account, totally dislike it. So that makes question to continue on Quest 2 after Rift S. As well the Quest 2 audio system is killing it to me. I fixed the audio in Rift S but dislike idea of bad audio built-in.

I love the idea to just have one cable from PC to play DCS and few other.... But what truly killed VR oculus for me is the second generation touch controllers. Really, the tracking ring positioned upwards renders most/all shooting games useless as the controller hits continually the HMD and tracking is lost often when close to HMD.

To my opinion the Rift line should have continued somehow.
At least the support in development for next 18-24 months.

IMHO Facebook made decisions that are 80% bad and 20% good.
But what one can do when they lose one old customer and gain two new? Business as usually, for masses....
I have found the Touch Controllers tracking to be exceptional.
Played all the way through Half Life Alyx with it with no issues at all.
That is one area I believe Oculus shines in.

However I will be moving to the Reverb G2 rather than a Quest 2. I just hope controller tracking in it is at least close to that of Touch.

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review
EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L | Rift S | Oculus Quest |
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:14 PM   #8
stormridersp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburne View Post
I have found the Touch Controllers tracking to be exceptional.
Played all the way through Half Life Alyx with it with no issues at all.
That is one area I believe Oculus shines in.

However I will be moving to the Reverb G2 rather than a Quest 2. I just hope controller tracking in it is at least close to that of Touch.

I wish controller tracking was done in another way, allowing different brands to make their own devices to be used with the existing headset tracking infrastructure. I love my oculus touch controllers, but they are pretty much useless when flying or racing. They are way too ergonomic. I'd rather have something like a wristband or perhaps something like a pair of gloves.

Wishlist:
AH-64
F-15E
F-117A
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:28 PM   #9
hansangb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormridersp View Post
I wish controller tracking was done in another way, allowing different brands to make their own devices to be used with the existing headset tracking infrastructure. I love my oculus touch controllers, but they are pretty much useless when flying or racing. They are way too ergonomic. I'd rather have something like a wristband or perhaps something like a pair of gloves.

Or, or, or....PointCTRL system made by a DCS'er. It's in the main INPUT/OUTPUT thread. Check it out.
Spoiler:
i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote