Quest 2 Reveal - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-16-2020, 02:11 PM   #11
Goa

and the winner is still HP-REVERB G2

No way I am gonna buy a vr headset which requires mandatory facebook account with non-stop popup adds while playing!!

Can you immagine playing DCS and having those annoying adds every few minutes?? :|

check out the MRTV youtube channel, Sebastian explained this very well.
  • CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black
Goa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:21 PM   #12
Svsmokey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa View Post
and the winner is still HP-REVERB G2

No way I am gonna buy a vr headset which requires mandatory facebook account with non-stop popup adds while playing!!

Can you immagine playing DCS and having those annoying adds every few minutes?? :|

check out the MRTV youtube channel, Sebastian explained this very well.
Agreed . My interest lasted until i heard just how much personal info is required , that FB can kill your headset if you enter any dummy info and the aforementioned ads . Back to the G2 plan !

FB may as well use "black mirror" lenses going forward .

"Hold my beer"
Svsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:58 PM   #13
Taz1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa View Post
I highly, highly doubt that. They would do that on free Oculus games like they do on free smart phone games but will never do that on paid games let alone 3rd party PC games. Their business model of collecting data fails if people are annoyed enough to NOT use it.

I actually support Facebook for pushing VR to the mass. I originally backed Oculus Kickstarter because Palmer Luckey said he can bring VR to the mass at less than $300. He couldn't deliver and original Oculus was $600. They actually refunded money to original backers. Now Facebook is making that reality.

You need mandatory Steam account for SteamVR. Steam collect your browsing history and suggest games based on it. How is that different than Facebook if you don't use it for socializing and only for games?

And people are less worried about Google, Siri, and Alexa always listening to everything... Those assistants has to always listen in order to recognize "Okay Google" when it's spoken.

Last edited by Taz1004; 09-16-2020 at 07:04 PM.
Taz1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:53 PM   #14
Eldur
Veteran

I watched that keynote in Venues, but for those who haven't, here's a livesteam recording from Mike:

And a short review since he's been using the thing already for some weeks:

Old 09-16-2020, 11:26 PM   #15
streakeagle

As I have already committed to the Reverb G2, I hope it works as well as I expect. The refusal of Facebook/Oculus to support PC VR as best as possible guarantees I won't buy another one of their headsets despite having overall good experiences with both the CV1 and Rift S.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:29 PM   #16
Razor68

Fakebook, no way in hell.

i7 8700K - 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 DDR4 - Samsung 970 Pro 1GB NVME - GTX 1080Ti - Next Level Racing Rig - TM Warthog - Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Base - MongoosT-50CM2 Grip - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - HP Reverb
Razor68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:47 PM   #17
dburne
Veteran

Yep very glad I have the Reverb G2 on Pre-Order.

With Facebook basically the Quest 2 is not the product, we are the product with all the data they are collecting and selling on us.

Love my Rift S, but there will be no more Rifts it would seem. This is where I will finally part ways with Oculus.

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review
EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L | Rift S | Oculus Quest |
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:34 AM   #18
dugite57

For those of us who are already on Facebook and or are more relaxed about it. This thing represents good value price wise here in Australia, and competition is good. I'm just wondering how good it will be with DCS? Will there be a perceptible difference vs the G2 or other more expensive headsets? I gues we won't know until somebody gets one.
dugite57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:57 AM   #19
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsmokey View Post
Agreed . My interest lasted until i heard just how much personal info is required , that FB can kill your headset if you enter any dummy info and the aforementioned ads . Back to the G2 plan !

FB may as well use "black mirror" lenses going forward .
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

This is the first I realised that a facebook account was required and they reserve the right to kill the device if you don't give real data! (Not that I looked into it much yet - but you've just saved me a whole lot of time comparing specs and a whole lot of other stuff right there). No need to care what it does now. Reverb FTW!

About the only benefit I see getting out of this is increased competition driving better VR in the future.
Domestic Government - we want you to install this contract tracking app for COVID.

The people: We're concerned about privacy! Tell us more about what is and isn't done with data.

International Company : We want all your personal data. Our T&C are...

The People: Shut up and take my cash! I Agree to all your T&C that I've never read and don't care what you do with my personal info - Oh, and all my personal details are....

Yet here I am wondering - if the quest is so much cheaper, subsidised by the information facebook sells - who is buying that information and why is it worth so much $'s to them?!?

Last edited by Adam; 09-17-2020 at 06:31 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:08 AM   #20
Taz1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugite57 View Post
For those of us who are already on Facebook and or are more relaxed about it. This thing represents good value price wise here in Australia, and competition is good. I'm just wondering how good it will be with DCS? Will there be a perceptible difference vs the G2 or other more expensive headsets? I gues we won't know until somebody gets one.
Fiber USB-C Link cable they offer is more than capable for 4K so that is not the concern for me. But it will initially have bad reviews due to refresh rate. And I wont be buying it until 90hz is available and reviewed.
Taz1004 is offline   Reply With Quote